AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Automobiles

Automobiles Need for Speed

Old 05-20-2020, 02:57 PM

Default Jaguar F-Type V8

Since I'd owned a couple of used E-types a long time ago, I want wanted to see if the new generation would be more reliable and just as much fun. It is both.
It arrived in mid-June 2013 as a 2914 model. Since the 5 litre V8 495 hp motor had been developed in LandRovers, its reliable. it's supercharged and without the turbo lag my that 2003 Porsche Turbo with X50 had.
Connected to an 8-speed ZF found in other brands, but well matched with paddle shift and very good rev matching. Claimed 0-60 of 4.2 sec, but independently tested at 3.9. Selecting "Dynamic" re-profiles Shifting, motor response, steering and suspension in a tangible way.
It is rear wheel drive and must be respected on damp roads or if driven aggressively as rear wheels will spin easily. Later models increased hp to 550 or more, but more importantly, added torque vectoring, and 4WD.
One trait is the potentially very loud exhaust, on acceleration, and on overrun.
Can be controlled if kept below 3k revs in residential areas. Otherwise good fun in small doses.
Trunk will just accept to carry-ons. Wife and I still driving it and like its appearance - nicely proportioned without excessive sculpturing. Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F Type + E'e.jpg (98.4 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg F-type conv .jpg (99.2 KB, 80 views)
Old 05-20-2020, 03:05 PM

I brought an apartment instead but it was close!
Old 05-20-2020, 03:33 PM

I bought a 2020 F type R in February, it replaced my 2017 Z06. I’m very happy with the move I made. While the F type is not quite the pure sports car my Porsche’s and Vettes were I like the much more luxurious interior while still having massive amounts of performance from the 550 hp all wheel drive set up. I’m never going to track my sports cars so I wanted a sports car that can also be a comfortable GT car when you drive in normal mode. The upgraded meridian Sound system is very nice as well . I also like that you don’t see many on the road, the 5 year 60,000 mile warranty, maintenance packages is also nice. I would like to hear how you would compare your ownership experience to when you owned the E type. I love the looks of the E Type but I like having modern tech. In my car so I went with the F type.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:38 PM

Have you downloaded the different apps. For your car ? You can turn the car on and off, set the temperature, lock and unlock, find the car in gps, lots of other features and can add additional apps to the infotainment system.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:55 PM

Very nice.
Home Theater: Sonos->MCD1100,Oppo 105D,Cary 306/200,MVP-871->SP3->C500T->MC501x3+MC402x2+MC252->PL300+F113x2+PL350+4xPL InWall+PL100,PL100 in games room,VPL-VW500ES, Shunyata Sigma HCx3, Shunyata Analogx2, Alpha HCx2, Alpha Digital, Wire World Silver Electra x8
Great Room: BDP-09FD,Sonos->MCD500->MX119->MC501x3+2xMA700s->PL200+PLC150+GRFX+F112,PRO-141FD
Kid's Room: Sonos,Oppo 95->MX119->HCA1200mkii+4xMA700s->GR20s+FB210+GRLCR+2xGRFX,PRO-101FD
Home Gym: Sonos->Oppo 105->MC252->GR10s+FB210,TC-P55ST60
Office at work: Cary 306/200, Michell Gyro SE w/TechnoArm+Meastro Wood->6900->GR10s+SB12-Plus
Cottage: iPod,Oppo 95->Marantz SR7009->PSB Silver+ GRLCR+Silver FXi, MA700+PSB Mini in sunroom
Old 05-23-2020, 07:56 PM

Congrats, the F-type is a great car. Friend has the V-6 S and it's lots of fun.

I am looking into adding something different to the stable - either an earlier V8 RWD F-type, but more likely an Aston Vantage V8.

Cheers

Matt
Old 05-24-2020, 12:25 AM

Congratulations on your new F type R, 1KW. You have a slightly better behaving car that already performed very well. Only drawback when comparing to smaller sports cars is its weight - about 3800 lbs, on a very tight Tilke designed track on Vancouver Island was precise but didn't feel very nimble. But the torque and made up for it! Instant acceleration would allow you to quickly pass a few RV’s at a time on mountain roads thru the Rockies. Also comfortable – did a few 12 hour days.
Comparing the ownership experience – When I had the E-types ( both Series I – covered headlamps ) they were used cars, and not yet collectibles. One had no synchro into 1st. But at the time not only did they look fantastic, compared to all but the best exotic cars, their 265 hp doc motor saw the car perform at a higher level than all the popular European cars of that era. Some reliability annoyances as a daily driver. Overheating, and electricals. Current XKE collectors here may upgrade the fans and electricals. But the E type was true joy on a quite a quite a few all day trips of a few hundred miles. out of town. It was just a fantastic, long-legged but agile car. With a lot of technology from quite a few preceding Jaguar LeMans victories.
The F-type is a bit of a sleeper. I think it can, if you chose, be more fun all around than many of the cars in its class. And as you say, they are not all that common. Bob
Old 05-24-2020, 04:20 AM

Congratulations and thanks for the report on the V8 Jag F type. This car has made me drool since it first hit the market. I’ve never driven one because I had to eliminate it almost immediately after sitting in one of the very early display cars when they first hit the scene. I’m 210lbs and 6’2” with longish legs rather than torso length and did not seem to be able to stretch my legs out for long road trips. How do you find seating and leg room on the new F types today? Would love to hear more info in cabin features and comfort. Larry
Old 05-24-2020, 04:22 AM

Yes I agree the car is on the heavier side if you were planning on racing the car which I am not however this has the added benefit of a more solid ride for day to day driving. I would say with the 550 hp all wheel drive and interior it is like a "classy corvette" sort of speak
Old 05-24-2020, 02:34 PM

Whoa, those sure are sweet Jags! Beautiful!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F Type + E'e.jpg (84.0 KB, 30 views)