AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > News

News Local & Worldwide

Old 02-02-2014, 10:40 AM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

Bose Grinding personal axes ???
Old 02-02-2014, 01:31 PM

While I've never cared for Bose speakers, and their Wave system and the marketing hype around it are almost as irritating as Beats, their latest noise canceling headphones actually don't sound half bad on an airplane. Of course there are so many better options, but they've done a fantastic job of marketing, and Dr. Dre has learned the lesson well.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 02-02-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
While I've never cared for Bose speakers, and their Wave system and the marketing hype around it are almost as irritating as Beats, their latest noise canceling headphones actually don't sound half bad on an airplane. Of course there are so many better options, but they've done a fantastic job of marketing, and Dr. Dre has learned the lesson well.
I have the headphones and they work well when travelling.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:25 AM

Not a Bose fan at all, but truth is that they make the best noise cancelation headphones. Own them about two years now, and have not come accross better one.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:17 AM

Mikey has every reason to be harsh. Bose has marketed largely overpriced gear that under performs for a very long time.

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_Anderson View Post
Mikey has every reason to be harsh. Bose has marketed largely overpriced gear that under performs for a very long time.
IMHO, he had no reason to write this article and he wouldn't have done it if he had any sense of decency.

Where was he when the guy was still alive ?

Bose has found out how to market to the general public its audio products and it was successful at that. They have built a brand name and convinced people to buy their products based on the name. It's a company built to make profits.

BTW I don't see him complaining about Devialet marketing, I guess their money is better than Bose's
(ps: I'm not talking of the product but of the marketing the firm is using which, to me, makes them sound like an upscale Bose)
Old 02-03-2014, 07:01 AM

I don't agree, but certainly understand your point. From my experience, every product made by Bose I have ever heard can be bettered by another component, many of which are cheaper.

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_Anderson View Post
I don't agree, but certainly understand your point. From my experience, every product made by Bose I have ever heard can be bettered by another component, many of which are cheaper.
Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you on that point. I'm certainly not arguing about that.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:13 AM

I know, and I also get that the article may be insensitive since Dr. Bose died before it was written. It's also easy for us hardcore audiophiles to be very smug and harsh when it comes to Bose products, and we are better than that.

Home Main System:

Other
Old 02-03-2014, 01:04 PM

Isn't all this about marketing and business ?

I mean, aren't these rules of lying or hiding the truth and facts the common attitude of any company wanting to sell a product ? Saying that their product is better than the others, or equivalent while at the same time less expensive and so on... without any scientific approved studies proving their claims ?

Everyone does that in business, more or less, no ??

Bose was a marketing genius. Good for him and his company.

I appreciate less the intimidation against reviewers, the suing for anything, but once again, this happens quite often....

Business is a jungle where the strongest and the most clever wins.
It does not bother me at all if many street people think that Bose is better than McIntosh, Sonus Faber and so on. Good for them. They spend less that what we do on a few interconnects and they are happy.