AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Vinyl & Accessories

Vinyl & Accessories Food for the Soul

Old 03-17-2017, 07:20 PM

I know I "only" have a K-03 SACD/DAC, but man, my vinyl setup absolutely destroys my digital setup on most head to head comparisons. I used to scoff at vinyl lovers a little bit, but nowadays I am a believer. Yes it is expensive and more work, but wow, you can wring quite a bit of performance out of that ancient technology! Imagine inventing something so well that a hundred years later they can't replace it! Kinda like my 1911 pistols...
Old 03-17-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
I've thought a lot about the whole vinyl vs. digital debate since I've been into vinyl.....it's really interesting when you listen for the (sometimes not so) subtleties in the recordings. It's always been very difficult to put into words the differences and what I think makes vinyl the superior listening experience. There has to be something in our brain/auditory system that translates analog into a more pleasurable and realistic experience. Great example is a vinyl purchase that I've been waiting for for quite awhile. I finally scored a near mint condition first press of Pearljam's debut album "Ten" on vinyl. I've heard this album a thousand times, always been one of my favorites but last night was the first time I have ever heard it on an analog rig. It was really something, when you closed your eyes, it was truly amazing how much richer and more lifelike the album sounded. This was a great test since I'm so familiar with the sound....there was stuff on the record that came out never before heard....it was pretty interesting. I wish someone could come up with something quantitative in the future to account for these type of differences, but I guess we'll have to live with the standard audiophile descriptions for now!

- Buck
Not sure I could (or would want to) add more.....Pretty much it for me.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:33 PM

Default The analog experience

Well there can't be a definitive answer to digital vs analog because compressed MP3's are terrible and digital while cassettes (or AM radio) can be analog and suck. So it must be the execution that makes the difference.

My two cents is figure out which kind of music collection you can most readily support, it can take a lifetime to put your collection together, and make that sound the best possible. If someone had a huge vinyl or CD or digital file collection, it would be silly to switch formats because someone told you the other is better.

My music is all in the digital domain and I have had top shelf sources (now the Esoteric K1, Master clock and Aurender streamer). I heard a lot about vinyl so I put together a modest vinyl system (ARC LP1 phonostage and a Project turntable), a set that cost at the time a tenth of my digital front end (at the time an ARC REF CD 9). I greatly preferred the digital source on the same recording and since I didn't have much vinyl it was an easy decision to stay with digital. I don't doubt that if I invested much more into the vinyl source (both in $$$ and auditions) than I did it could be competitive. I think it's likely that a top shelf of one will sound better than a modest version of the other and you get what you pay for.

The one drawback on vinyl I don't think I could get used to is surface noise. It just distracts me and conflicts with the drama I find when the music rises up from inky nothingness.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariess View Post
Well there can't be a definitive answer to digital vs analog because compressed MP3's are terrible and digital while cassettes (or AM radio) can be analog and suck. So it must be the execution that makes the difference.

My two cents is figure out which kind of music collection you can most readily support, it can take a lifetime to put your collection together, and make that sound the best possible. If someone had a huge vinyl or CD or digital file collection, it would be silly to switch formats because someone told you the other is better.

My music is all in the digital domain and I have had top shelf sources (now the Esoteric K1, Master clock and Aurender streamer). I heard a lot about vinyl so I put together a modest vinyl system (ARC LP1 phonostage and a Project turntable), a set that cost at the time a tenth of my digital front end (at the time an ARC REF CD 9). I greatly preferred the digital source on the same recording and since I didn't have much vinyl it was an easy decision to stay with digital. I don't doubt that if I invested much more into the vinyl source (both in $$$ and auditions) than I did it could be competitive. I think it's likely that a top shelf of one will sound better than a modest version of the other and you get what you pay for.

The one drawback on vinyl I don't think I could get used to is surface noise. It just distracts me and conflicts with the drama I find when the music rises up from inky nothingness.
I don't hear very much surface noise in my system. Yes, there is a little, and some records are worse than others. For the most part it's a non issue with the right setup.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:42 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Default The digital experience

Old 03-17-2017, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
I don't hear very much surface noise in my system. Yes, there is a little, and some records are worse than others. For the most part it's a non issue with the right setup.

I'm pretty much noise free as well. It comes down to the quality of the pressing, the playback system, and the care you take with your vinyl - black backgrounds are there. I have albums I've had for 40+ years which still sound great, but I've also purchased new releases that had more surface noise than an album from the 50s.
Digital vs vinyl is not a conflict that needs to be resolved: with the right recording, source, engineering, mastering and production, both vinyl and digital can sound amazing; and with poor quality at any step, either can sound like crap. Spend your money in the right places and you can have good playback systems of both, then chose the best format for the specific recording. For me, new classical recordings sound excellent in digital, but 50s and 60s jazz were meant to be heard on vinyl. De gustibus non est disputandum.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 03-18-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Digital vs vinyl is not a conflict that needs to be resolved.

Couldn't agree more strongly. I love my silenzio into the PSAudio DSD and into my magnum dynalab 108t. I will, however, be unpacking a ClearAudio Innovation today, as I like both formats.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:53 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post
Couldn't agree more strongly. I love my silenzio into the PSAudio DSD and into my magnum dynalab 108t. I will, however, be unpacking a ClearAudio Innovation today, as I like both formats.
Jim.......Congratulations on your new Clearaudio Innovation. That is a very fine turntable. Are you installing the Clearaudio Universal tonearm or someone else's tonearm?

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 03-18-2017, 09:12 AM

Universal, with a Lyra Kleos. The universal tone arm is like a work of art in itself.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:45 AM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
I'm pretty much noise free as well. It comes down to the quality of the pressing, the playback system, and the care you take with your vinyl - black backgrounds are there. I have albums I've had for 40+ years which still sound great, but I've also purchased new releases that had more surface noise than an album from the 50s.
Digital vs vinyl is not a conflict that needs to be resolved: with the right recording, source, engineering, mastering and production, both vinyl and digital can sound amazing; and with poor quality at any step, either can sound like crap. Spend your money in the right places and you can have good playback systems of both, then chose the best format for the specific recording. For me, new classical recordings sound excellent in digital, but 50s and 60s jazz were meant to be heard on vinyl. De gustibus non est disputandum.
Tony - surface noise and pops/clicks were the primary reservation I had about an analog rig. My dealer was willing to loan me a VPI Classic 1 along with an Ayre phono preamp to demo for a weekend at home. I wanted to get a good representation of how different condition albums sounded on a setup like that, so I borrowed several LPs from him. I also went to our friendly neighborhood Goodwill and they just happened to have a Dire Straits and AC/DC record in what I would say were VG condition at best so I was able to test and see what I should be buying if I decided to go that route. I have absolutely NO issues with surface noise, background noise or just about any noise. I'm willing to pay a few bucks more for a NM record as opposed to a VG or VG+ record and that has served me well. I've bought TONS of records off eBay and only had to return 1 single LP due to it being somewhat trashed and the seller was kind enough to refund my $$ since they admitted they weren't a dealer and as knowledgable as they should have been. The key I think is being willing to pay a few extra dollars if the record is used. I've done that time after time after time and had nothing but success except for that one instance.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3