AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 11-14-2019, 11:21 AM
Racing Hoopties

They are kind of sexy Charles! (The speakers, not the dudes!).
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 11-14-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
They are kind of sexy Charles! (The speakers, not the dudes!).
Thank you so much! The thing that smote me about the XVX was the new Alnico mids. Personally I doubt them much if any better that the current 7" mid which is a truly great driver. But it was the fact that nonetheless Daryl did introduce all new mids when he didn't have to. The XVX would have been an ultimate speaker with plenty of new tech without the new mids. For me they were the difference.

I have always known Wilson makes the best cabinets. No other manufacturer comes close IMO. Typically aluminium (which is very heavy and brute force), carbon fiber, or some other exotic is used but much of the time with a lot of manufacturers you find wood or MDF somewhere in even the most expensive speakers. Wilson cabinets are proprietary and this new V material sounds incredible. Again just a scaled down WAMM would have been totally sufficient but that was not good enough apparently for Daryl. He truly went the extra mile in the XVX and that smote me. Otherwise I would have not bought it now but would have waited at least a year.

Again, I personally don't think the V material makes much difference or the new mids. I truly don't think these new drivers or material will in anyway revolutionize Wilson sound. But it was the extreme effort at doing his very best that made me want the XVX. That means something to me: one's very best effort.

Last edited by Charles; 11-14-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Thank you so much! The thing that smote me about the XVX was the new Alnico mids. Personally I doubt them much if any better that the current 7" mid which is a truly great driver. But it was the fact that nonetheless Daryl did introduce all new mids when he didn't have to. The XVX would have been an ultimate speaker with plenty of new tech without the new mids. For me they were the difference.

I have always known Wilson makes the best cabinets. No other manufacturer comes close IMO. Typically aluminium (which is very heavy and brute force), carbon fiber, or some other exotic is used but much of the time with a lot of manufacturers you find wood or MDF somewhere in even the most expensive speakers. Wilson cabinets are proprietary and this new V material sounds incredible. Again just a scaled down WAMM would have been totally sufficient but that was not good enough apparently for Daryl. He truly went the extra mile in the XVX and that smote me. Otherwise I would have not bought it now but would have waited at least a year.

Again, I personally don't think the V material makes much difference or the new mids. I truly don't think these new drivers or material will in anyway revolutionize Wilson sound. But it was the extreme effort at doing his very best that made me want the XVX. That means something to me: one's very best effort.
Bill said he wouldn't be surprised if the new mids make their way into other products. That would be pretty cool, they are apparently very happy with the new Alnico mid. In the limited listening session I attended, I couldn't tell what the mid was contributing, it was such an overall top to bottom coherent presentation...which I guess means it's working as designed!
Old 11-14-2019, 09:23 PM

Charles, If you have a FaceBook account, follow Wilson Audio and you'll see lots of great pictures.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P View Post
Charles, If you have a FaceBook account, follow Wilson Audio and you'll see lots of great pictures.
Thank you.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Bill said he wouldn't be surprised if the new mids make their way into other products. That would be pretty cool, they are apparently very happy with the new Alnico mid. In the limited listening session I attended, I couldn't tell what the mid was contributing, it was such an overall top to bottom coherent presentation...which I guess means it's working as designed!
That certainly could be the case but the current mid does a fantastic job. My Alexx attest to that. My Alexx are also a perfect fit to my room and "fit" matters a lot. The XVX will not be, no way around that. But nevertheless I think I've got a chance for great sound with it in my room. Wilson stated that with the XVX they would introduce more technology than ever before in any speaker. I believe this true. That's what sold me. Not necessarily that it would translate in a better sound because the current state of Wilson drivers is so superb already. I would have been totally happy with the current 7" driver and would be right now. But it was the new mid that tipped me to buy the XVX. It just seemed insane what Daryl did with the XVX. When somebody makes that type effort somebody ought to show appreciation and buy one.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:47 AM

The XVX has a integrated Coolfall lighting system to aid in the critical settings The more you look at the speaker you realize how much went into the design.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:02 PM

Old 11-15-2019, 10:39 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P View Post

Yep, this portion of the speaker is $225k [emoji851]
Old 11-15-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by for the love of music View Post
yep, this portion of the speaker is $225k [emoji851]

🤣
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2