best

Albert Einstein
Old 02-05-2010, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurPE View Post
best

Irish Wolfhound?
Old 02-05-2010, 12:48 AM

12 guage shotgun is my go-to gun for home defence for a couple of reasons. First, if you immaging being woken up to a noise that turned out to be an inrtuder , the excitement/panic/fear/anger of the moment you need to be able to hit your target. More likely than not, a moving target. Second, the physical size of the barrel would be intiminating to stare down. Not only would the intruder see a large barrel pointing at them, but also the eyes of a scared homeowner. 3rd it is loud and in a dark setting, intimidating fire blast. If you somehow miss your target, you will be close enough to get the indruders attention. I doubt they would stay around for round two.
4th your wife can shoot a shotgun with more confidence and would be more accurate, if she had too.
I differ on thought in choise of ammo than many. Let me fist say that I was raised shooting guns of all types starting at a very young age. My father taught us saftey, safety, safety. But we shot regular, at least once a week, up until I left for college. Pistiols 45ACP (family favorite), 44 mag, 45 colt, lots of 22lr. And we shot targets. I can remember laughing amoungst ourselves at the local shooting range. Here these guys would come out with life sizes targets to shoot a 25yds and would just blast. If they hit the target at all they were happy. But they sure made a lot of noise. We would brace up a 4'x4' piece of cardboard and color 4 dots on each paper plate taped to the cardboard. But that's another story.
If you couldn't shoot a 1" , 5 shot, group at 100yds with your rifle (30-06) you weren't thought of as a very good shot. Did a lot of bird hunting back in the day (dove), lot of fun. But we did not shoot anything we would not eat. Anyway just a little backgroung of my knowedge and operations of guns.
Back to my point of ammo for an in-home self defence weapon. 12 guage shotgun great choice as mentioned above but I prefer #6 Hi-brass bird shot. Yea I know 00 buckshot is what you've always heard. But if you really think about if a situation developed and you had to defent yourself/family. Chances are it will be a close shot, if their out side, let the go. #6 hi-brass (hi-brass is just a hotter powder load needing longer brass to handle added pressure) shells have larger number of shot, but the
diameter of pellets is still large enough to kill what is directly infront of you. However it is less likely that stray pellets will go through a wall into the next room and possible injure a child or the very ones you are trying to protect.
All of this discussion is a situation I none of us are ever in.
Be my bed is a 12 gauge Browning auto, Colt 45acp Gold Cup and a good quality small flash light. Hopefully the family PitBull that sleeps at the foot of the bed will give me some warning in the event security alarm fails.
One may want to consider stratigically placing guns around the house, you never know in these crazy times. And it's only going to get worst over the next couple of years. People will do irrational thing when they are hungry (for whatever) and can't feed themselves or their family.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:54 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

All good stuff, so at least we are learning who "NOT" to rob here!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 02-05-2010, 12:36 PM
Member Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
All good stuff, so at least we are learning who "NOT" to rob here!
They can try, but they are definitely going to get hurt and may not live to tell where hurts.

Amp: MC1.2KW x 2, MC602, MC2300
Preamp: C52, MX136, C34V
Digital Source: Oppo BDP 105, Pioneer 47Ai, CAL MkII
Analog Source: MT10, Technics RS 1700
Speakers: VMPS Super Tower lll
Subwoofer: JL Audio F113
Power Cables: Wireworld Platinum Electra 7
Speaker Cables: Straightwire Serenade ll
Signal Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7
Power Isolation: RGP 1200C
Rack: Adona Eris 9TW modified to Eris 12TW

Amp: Yamaha RX Z9
Digital Source: Pioneer BDP 94HD, Oppo UDP-205
Front Speakers: Monitor Audio
Center Speaker: B&W CC6
Rear Speakers: B&W DM 602
Surround Speakers: B&W DM 602
Subwoofer: Velodyne SPL 12BV
Television: Samsung 75 inch 4K Q90R
Old 02-05-2010, 01:43 PM

Just remember, simply being armed to the teeth does not guarantee a favorable outcome for the homeowner. Thieves and armed robbers often have their trade down to almost science. They have lots of time to think and plan and often have an element of surprise on their side. They are prepared when they go in to your house. Are you?

Try to minimize the element of surprise, have your house alarmed, be sure to keep doors and at least first floor windows locked, don't give them an easy access.

Have a flashlight either mounted on your firearm or near by, telephone near by, firearm easy to access but safely locked and stored, so as again, not to give them an advantage of now being armed with your own firearm if they didn't have one to begin with....

Most importantly, have lots of practice so you can handle your firearm without having to waste precious seconds trying to remember where the safety is, if it is loaded or not and have a fighting chance of when and if the bullets do have to leave the barrel, that they will have a better chance of finding their intended target if you know what I mean. Get lots of range time so you know if your ability to shoot and the gun reliability are on par with what you may be faced with coming at you some day.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:08 PM

You guys scare me
Old 02-05-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Irish Wolfhound?
reminds me of my giant airedale who is also taller then me on his hind legs Here is a picture of trouble

Last edited by 1KW; 02-05-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
You guys scare me
David, many tend to ignore all the stuff you hear that happens daily in different cities until of course it God forbid touches them...

There must be very few things in life that could be worse than being a victim of a violent crime in your own home. Being robbed, assaulted, beaten, having your family raped or murdered in front of your own eyes is not something I for one am willing to leave to chance if I can help it.

It also doesn't help when your quiet, "upscale township" which has rather high property taxes suddenly decides to go ahead and give the green light to a methadone clinic.... And they open within a few miles of your house. Yes, this is something that burns me up right now!!! But this is a different story in itself.

If you are interested in becoming a homeowner who has a fighting chance against a perpetrator that may someday invade your loving home, let me know and I will help you get started. We have a few great ranges close by and I can help you get up to speed with having the means of protecting yourself.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post

reminds me of my giant airedale who is also taller then me on his hind legs Here is a picture of trouble
Airedales can get quite large but nothing is as large as an Irish Wolfhound. I have considered owning an Irish Wolfhound for many years but the poor things only live 5-7 years and it is just too soon to part with such a magnificent animal...