AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 02-02-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krell-diva View Post
The Sasha's 1 vs 2 debate starts at: Both speakers are going to reflect the source components in a big way. You can tailor the Wilson to sound anyway you like especially based on the Amplifier right in front of it.
The Ti tweeter is not fatiguing on the Sasha 1, Maxx3, Alexandrias (due to the evolution of the Ti design) if the Amplifier and sources in front of it are not fatiguing.

The sound you get from any of the Wilson's is a combination of the entire source string and room.
Thank you. That is what I wanted to hear about the tweeter.

I can play with electronics options if I get the Sasha 1 and of course cables too. I can try out some amps with my P7 Pre and compare to the Devialet to decide which path to go down.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:04 AM
Keeping it real since '75

I am in a similar sized room and actually just upgraded from Amati Anniversario's to Alexia's, but I also have a pair of Futura's in another system which I have also listened in this room. While i dont have any personal experience with the Sasha 1 or 2, in my opinion they may not be large enough for a room of your size. Any way you could arrange a demo in your home?

While I dont regret the move to the Alexia's, if I had to pick between Sasha 1/2 and Futura's (again, in a room of your size), I hate to say this, but I would probably go with Futura's. Having said this, I think the speaker you really should be using is the Alexia.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM3CPO View Post
I am in a similar sized room and actually just upgraded from Amati Anniversario's to Alexia's, but I also have a pair of Futura's in another system which I have also listened in this room. While i dont have any personal experience with the Sasha 1 or 2, in my opinion they may not be large enough for a room of your size. Any way you could arrange a demo in your home? While I dont regret the move to the Alexia's, if I had to pick between Sasha 1/2 and Futura's (again, in a room of your size), I hate to say this, but I would probably go with Futura's. Having said this, I think the speaker you really should be using is the Alexia.
Interesting. Why Futura ?toneality in a large room? In my auditions I found it a little more forward sounding. But it wasn't a large room I heard it in.

Last edited by lostinla; 02-03-2015 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:02 AM
Keeping it real since '75

Default My $0.02

My main listening position is about 2/3 of the room away from the speakers (I am away from the back wall) but I am rather close to a side wall. One speaker is near a corner while the other is again about 2/3 width of the room away.

The Futura's played like a much larger speaker and had a real dynamic presence to them. The bass was very controlled and the detail of the mids and highs were outstanding! The mid range and tweeter are isolated within the enclosure; the midrange is custom made by ScanSpeak (uses a cone formed from cellulose fiber mounted in its own subenclosure); both the tweeter and the midrange units are mounted on a decoupled sub-baffle as well. There is also a metal spine down the back which keeps the speaker under tension thus keeping the cabinet rigid. They are forgiving with placement and not analytical, although they still need to be set up and tweaked like anything else. In the end, everything just sounds good on them and most importantly, they handle large rooms!

You definitely have a difficult decision on yours hands! Hopefully I didn't add any undue stress to the situation. In the end, you need to do what sounds best to you within realistic financial constraints. I hope you get the chance to audition them both in your room. For the kind of money you are looking at spending, its the least they could do.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
Old 02-05-2015, 06:22 AM

Hi,

For me:
Sasha1 use the tweeter as the Focal / Magico speakers. -> "hard sound"

Sasha2 (tweeter as the Alexia) more relaxed, no stress.

with Indie and Jazz keep the Sim/Moon preampli and buy a new ampli: a 860A or a Passlabs X250.8 or the monos X260.8. -> combo Moon and Pass like you or?

this with the Sahsa2.

Other way: new system with a Mc452 and a pre always Mc !! a C50/C2500 or too a C220 not so expensive and later can you introduce a D150 -> thsi combo with Focal Scala or Magico S5. (invest money on the S3 for ME dont make sense-> price difference between S3 and S5 is not so big (well all is relative but the S5 are another liga!)
anyway with Mcintosh the Focal is the "perfect way".

Amati have another sound vs. Wilson and Magico!!!! is really a personal taste!

1-> Sim/Moon premapli with a Pass x250.8 (sound much better from the x350.8 and is more as enough to drive the speakers Wilson / Magico / Focal / S.Faber..) // a Moon Evolution 860A option
2.-> McIntpsh pre and ampli new (C2500-Mc452) with Sasha1 / Focal Scala or S.Faber Futura Amati.
3. Devialet 200 (plus SAM "software") with the Wilson or Sonus Faber is too a great option. (you can sell the Sim pre and too the X30.5 and invest this money to buy the Sasha2!

greets
Omar
Old 02-06-2015, 09:22 AM

sasha 2 with nice valve amp will work
something like arc reference 75 or ref 150, or vtl s-200.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog brother View Post
sasha 2 with nice valve amp will work
something like arc reference 75 or ref 150, or vtl s-200.
Sasha2 with Class A amplifier!!!! (Pass, Accuphase, Grandinote,....) a full tube preampli or "hybrid" (SS and tube) CAN be the Top...
Old 02-06-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krell-diva View Post
I have heard most of the older and newer generation Wilson Audio speakers and the evolution of the Ti tweeter thru (Watt Puppy (3-8), Maxx 2, Sasha 1, X-1 Gen 5, Alexandria) and now the soft dome tweeter. (Sasha 2, Alexia)

Something to think about:
Wilson speakers reflect the source/upstream; including AC supply, and all the cabling. Personally I still like the Ti tweeter best ; but that may be due to my X-1's (gen V) purchased after auditioning the Alexias.

The Sasha's 1 vs 2 debate starts at: Both speakers are going to reflect the source components in a big way. You can tailor the Wilson to sound anyway you like especially based on the Amplifier right in front of it.
The Ti tweeter is not fatiguing on the Sasha 1, Maxx3, Alexandrias (due to the evolution of the Ti design) if the Amplifier and sources in front of it are not fatiguing.

I had my Sasha I in a 20 x 26 x 9 foot room (with an L off the back of the room) - they never strained. I used Amplifiers such as: ARC Ref 210, Mcintosh MC601, Levinson #23.

I have the X-1 (Gen V) in the same room now. Yes they do fill the room in a different way.

The sound you get from any of the Wilson's is a combination of the entire source string and room.
I agree. I find the Wilson soft dome on Alexia and alike a sideways step, not a true progression forward.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:37 PM

I'm going through the same exercise as the OP; within the past year I have moved from Cary 300 Signature monoblocks/Hovland HP100 driving a pair of 25 year old Epos 14 to Ayre KXR/MXR combo and these speakers have never sounded so good!. I have heard the Sasha 1 & 2 and I can say unequivocally that the jump from the Epos to Sasha is so huge that any perceived differences between the Sashas is minuscule and certainly not worth the extra 10-15K. I don't know what your current speakers are, but for me it's an easy decision. Sasha 1 can be had for 14-18K vs 28K or so for new 2s.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:00 AM

I have come to the same conclusion as Vinola. I ordered the Sasha 1 today. The $15k ish difference is better spent on other areas of the system. Maybe I'll trade up to sasha2 or more later.
When I get them; next to try some amps. Following Omar's suggestions; The x350.5 (or 250.5) a sim audio and a constellation inspiration stereo 1.0. Sorry, not a McIntosh guy.

Last edited by lostinla; 02-07-2015 at 04:02 AM.