AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > D'Agostino Audio

D'Agostino Audio Master Audio Systems

Old 06-05-2012, 01:05 PM

Default Solid State Amp Options

I currently use the ARC Ref 250's for the L/R of my hybrid system. They drive my Sasha speakers well and I am quite happy. My only issue is since this is a hybrid 2 channel/HT system. My kids could cause the main amps to cycle on/off while rotating sources on the processor...and I think a SS option for now may be best for my sanity. I am not going to get rid of the 250's and will keep them in their current location for critical 2 channel listening.

I am considering the Momentums (which I have heard) or the JRDG 725 or 925. The 925 is not out yet. Does anyone have any experience with the JRDG amps at any of the shows...These will mainly be for HT listening...but will also spend time on 2 channel for short listening sessions...since it will take a little bit of work to unhook and rehook up the 250's when I want to use them.

I am wondering if both of these designs use a SMPS in power supply since they run very effeciently at idle. Both are class AB...I actually like the look of the 925 the best(would be perfect if I can get in black), followed by the Momentum in black. Burmester 911 monos(in black) are also a consideration but concerned about integration issues with non-Burmester preamp(ayre KX-R).
Old 06-05-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enatai252 View Post
I currently use the ARC Ref 250's for the L/R of my hybrid system. They drive my Sasha speakers well and I am quite happy. My only issue is since this is a hybrid 2 channel/HT system. My kids could cause the main amps to cycle on/off while rotating sources on the processor...and I think a SS option for now may be best for my sanity. I am not going to get rid of the 250's and will keep them in their current location for critical 2 channel listening.

I am considering the Momentums (which I have heard) or the JRDG 725 or 925. The 925 is not out yet. Does anyone have any experience with the JRDG amps at any of the shows...These will mainly be for HT listening...but will also spend time on 2 channel for short listening sessions...since it will take a little bit of work to unhook and rehook up the 250's when I want to use them.

I am wondering if both of these designs use a SMPS in power supply since they run very effeciently at idle. Both are class AB...I actually like the look of the 925 the best(would be perfect if I can get in black), followed by the Momentum in black. Burmester 911 monos(in black) are also a consideration but concerned about integration issues with non-Burmester preamp(ayre KX-R).
Since you have the KX-R why not also consider the Ayre MX-R monos? I heard this combo (KX-R, MX-R and Sashas) at Fidelis in NH and I thought it worked very well. just a thought.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:35 PM

I have the MXR's with Sashas + a sub and find the combination very satisfying.
That being said, I'm intrigued as many who have compared the two amps on this site feel the Momentums are much better...of course they should be at >2x the price.
I'm considering demoing the Momentum stereo amps at some point in my system.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:59 PM
Audio Snoopster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippyy View Post
I have the MXR's with Sashas + a sub and find the combination very satisfying.
That being said, I'm intrigued as many who have compared the two amps on this site feel the Momentums are much better...of course they should be at >2x the price.
I'm considering demoing the Momentum stereo amps at some point in my system.
Kippyy,

You should definitely have a demo of the D.D. Momentum stereo amps.

I heard the D.D. Momentum stereo amp at CES 2012 in January, and it was most impressive. If I remember correctly, it was playing with the Wilson Sasha W/P's, dCS Debussy DAC, and (I think) Transparent Opus MM2 cabling.

Dan's preamp is next on my list, and I was bummed out when it did make it to the 2012 Munich High End this past May. Nonetheless, at least I got to here the Momentum monoblocks with the Sonus Faber Aida's in Munich, and the pairing was outstanding.

What got me pretty excited was that Dan told me that he has included tone controls for his upcoming preamp. I do love my KX-R/Momentum combo, but admittedly, I am very intrigued to see how the D.D. amp/preamp combo will sound with my Sashas!

Philip
Old 06-05-2012, 11:37 PM
Audio Snoopster

Quote:
Originally Posted by enatai252 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Since you have the KX-R why not also consider the Ayre MX-R monos? I heard this combo (KX-R, MX-R and Sashas) at Fidelis in NH and I thought it worked very well. just a thought.
I agree with Cyril that the Sasha/KX-R/MX-R combo definitely works very well, and is very hard to beat in terms of overall price-to-performance.

That being said, aside from the price, the Sasha/KX-R/Momentum combo is something truly special. If the Momentums are within your reach, then I highly recommend that you give the Momentums serious consideration. The following link has some of my comments that I posted in the Wilson Audio forum when I demo'ed the above 2 combos (http://www.audioaficionado.org/wilso...tml#post204922)

Philip
Old 06-06-2012, 01:51 PM

Philip,
As Dan has no established dealer here in California, how do you propose I request an audition of the Momentums? Do you have yours, and are you pleased with your purchase?
Barry
Old 07-06-2012, 09:24 AM

Quick Update

I decided to go with the MX-Rs in black. I am going a little unorthodox in that I am going to keep the Ref 250s in the system as well. So I will buy another run of Transparent speaker cable and hook up to the MX-Rs.

So the system will normally be set up for HT with the MXR/KXR triggering on when the Classe processor is turned on. So in HT mode...it will be all SS amps running the Wilson HT setup

For extended 2 channel listening...I will just need to transfer the XLR connections from the MXR to the Ref 250...and switch the speaker connections on the Sasha end(I will have two cables at the speaker...only one connected at a time...(one to each amp so I don't have to get behind amps for change out) Then the KXR will send signal through the 250s.

Although it does require about 5 min to swap..It will give me a better HT system in terms of not worrying about running tubes for TV watching...one that I can listen to in 2 channel mode for shorter listening sessions...and still have the option to enjoy the better performance of the Ref 250s for longer sessions
Old 07-07-2012, 06:47 AM

Sounds like a good plan!

Mike