AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 04-24-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
Gotta question for you guys who've tried various amps from Dennis.

While I love the tone and sound of my 10wpc Inspire Triode Hot Rod KT150 amp, my custom speakers at 91db need a bit more power to light up my air motion transformer tweeters.
I'll probably have to end up re-selling it and stepping back up to 60wpc mono blocks. Or, find some older DH amps and send them to him to modify them, if I can find some with more power. This is for a 2nd set of speakers I'm working on developing that will top out at 92db max at 1w/1m. I already own a Cary V12R with 50/100wpc tube amp, it sounds amazing with upgrades so I'm familiar with what my speakers can do and just know I need more power to make my speakers perform at their best. Separate discussion.

Question:
Since Dennis departed from Cary Audio (say in the past 5 or so years), do any of you know if Dennis ever made any higher power mono block tube amps above 25wpc? If so, what is the name/model of the amps?

I think you answer is a pair of custom MBQs ramped up to KT 77, 88, or 150. Those should push around 50 watts per ch pure SE magic. No push pull from DH that I am aware since he left Cary. Allan, Analog Addict, has been known to suggest waving Benjamins at Dennis will get things moving.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:50 PM

please forgive my ignorance, what is a "custom MBQ",

a prior Dennis Had amp or other brand... ?
Old 04-24-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
please forgive my ignorance, what is a "custom MBQ",

a prior Dennis Had amp or other brand... ?

Sorry, QMB-25s, available at Moon Audio. 4 output tubes per channel.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:48 PM

Does DH say that a QMB-25 can produce 40-50 wpc with KT88/KT120/KT150? I've never heard that before. The only spec I've seen on that amp was 25wpc with 6V6.

The specs state that it employs 25 wpc output transformers. There is no mention that output tubes other than 6V6 can even be used in it.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:07 PM

I owned a pair of the QMB-25 monoblocks years ago with an LP-1 preamp. I only used Pope 6V6 output tubes in those amps, and as I recall, I don’t remember being able to run the KT-88 variants. I now use one of his IIPS PSE amps and really enjoy it. I loved the monoblocks too, it was just a more velvet midrange. The PSE is more dynamic. If I could have afforded to keep them all, I would have held onto them. You don’t see many of the QMB-25’s floating around.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
Does DH say that a QMB-25 can produce 40-50 wpc with KT88/KT120/KT150? I've never heard that before. The only spec I've seen on that amp was 25wpc with 6V6.

The specs state that it employs 25 wpc output transformers. There is no mention that output tubes other than 6V6 can even be used in it.

'Custom' QMBs.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
Not mono block but here you go.

[http://www.stereomojo.com/AES%20Supe...eampreview.htm

A fabulous amplifier made by Cary Audio in the U.S.A.! Dennis Had, the founder of Cary Audio, was seeking a way to make an amp that sounded like the mighty CAD-805 single ended monobloc amps in a package that the man on the street can afford. The secret of this amp (and any amp) is the output transformers. This amp has texture. And tons of it.

The amp is point to point wired so tweekers will have a field day. It runs the tubes very easy so there is no drama down the road. In fact, you can tube roll and this amp will allow you to use 6L6GC, KT66, KT77, KT90, KT120, as well as KT88 and 6550!
Except it is an Ultralinear Push-Pull design. According to Dennis himself, a lower SQ compromise vis `a vis his SEP and SET designs of late.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:49 AM

I saw an ad from a guy who sold his QMB-25s and kept his Cary SLI-80 and 807s. Kinda been there already and prefer my SLP-98 pre and V12R amp combo over my former SLI-80, going full circle probably need to leave well enough alone for the big system, and just keep my DH KT150 for the small den room system and pair it up with a smaller and more efficient pair of speakers. I'm no longer into soft/metal dome tweeter speakers or horn speakers. Not my taste. Have owned and built many of them, and prefer AMT/electrostatics type speakers, however as most know who build them it's not easy to get them to sound right above 92db@1w/1m or without good power. Works great in a large system, not so great in a small den room system.

The little DH KT150 HotRod is a cool little amp, and it deserves the right speakers to go with it; have not found or built them yet. Not looking to go overboard for this den room system, and closest I can find so far is the Decware DM945 ribbon type speaker. Still open to ideas anything under $1500/pair if something of real "value" comes to mind, or its back to the drawing board on building a set with di-pole AMTs. Thanks.

Last edited by decooney; 04-25-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:14 AM

For “real value” under $1,500 a pair for a den system I can recommend one speaker: the Omega Compact Alnico Monitor. It is nominally 95dB efficient, gives decent bass, and despite being a full range whizzed cone driver surprising highs.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco65 View Post
For “real value” under $1,500 a pair for a den system I can recommend one speaker: the Omega Compact Alnico Monitor. It is nominally 95dB efficient, gives decent bass, and despite being a full range whizzed cone driver surprising highs.
Totally agree with the Omega. In fact, I own the DM945's. Not bad, but not much sound for the price. My Tekton's beat them by far and are floor-standers at the same price level, and much higher in sensitivity. I know Omega Alnico's are great based on many people's opinions over time.