AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 10-16-2017, 10:05 PM

I'm glad most of the music I listen to is acoustically recorded classical music for which there are many recordings available to choose for the same work. No loudness wars there that I've noticed.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:02 AM

I have said this many, many times on many different forums. I will be the first to raise my hand and proclaim that digital should be the best audio format/vehicle for music period. I have thought this since buying my first CDP back in 1983, a Sony CDP-302 $599....

Then the 90's came and the CD became a POS, as well as digital mastering, CDs pressed in the 90's are garbage. I don't play those anymore, because they are not enjoyable, completely takes away from the enjoyment of a great pc of music/album. Of course we all pick music that makes us feel good, but the reason we invest money in the best gear we can is because we want to experience that music as best we can.
Bad mastering/mixing, loudness wars simply kill the great feelings and emotions of music.

I am glad I never got rid of my records back in the mid 80's. I am not sure if it will ever end, streaming services on mobile devices will always need the loudness wars, compression so those folks can hear the music.

For me there is more disappointment in digital than excitement of sitting down and listening to it.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcher10 View Post
I am not sure if it will ever end, streaming services on mobile devices will always need the loudness wars, compression so those folks can hear the music.

For me there is more disappointment in digital than excitement of sitting down and listening to it.
Why would streaming services "need" loudness wars? For what purpose? They are not selling you an album that sounds louder therefore better to most unsuspecting ears, they are selling you a subscription and you are welcome to listen to anything you want. Seems also counterproductive to offer Master, MQA and HIFI settings in Tidal for example if they want to stream compressed. It's just a matter of the recording studios readjusting to normalcy and get to work restoring dynamic range not kill it.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
I have said this many, many times on many different forums. I will be the first to raise my hand and proclaim that digital should be the best audio format/vehicle for music period. I have thought this since buying my first CDP back in 1983, a Sony CDP-302 $599....

Then the 90's came and the CD became a POS, as well as digital mastering, CDs pressed in the 90's are garbage. I don't play those anymore, because they are not enjoyable, completely takes away from the enjoyment of a great pc of music/album. Of course we all pick music that makes us feel good, but the reason we invest money in the best gear we can is because we want to experience that music as best we can.
Bad mastering/mixing, loudness wars simply kill the great feelings and emotions of music.

I am glad I never got rid of my records back in the mid 80's. I am not sure if it will ever end, streaming services on mobile devices will always need the loudness wars, compression so those folks can hear the music.

Well said!

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Why would streaming services "need" loudness wars? For what purpose? They are not selling you an album that sounds louder therefore better to most unsuspecting ears, they are selling you a subscription and you are welcome to listen to anything you want. Seems also counterproductive to offer Master, MQA and HIFI settings in Tidal for example if they want to stream compressed. It's just a matter of the recording studios readjusting to normalcy and get to work restoring dynamic range not kill it.
I think that is my point and others too, nobody "needs" the loudness wars. But when these subscription services offer files from brickwalled mastering or simple CD rips, it comes thru.
Very true as it starts from the mixing step where the engineer does not articulate the instruments and put them where maybe they should be. I mean we really don't need vocals, distorted guitars and drums fighting to be out front on all songs...

Steven Wilson needs to remix everything from the 90's......

Cheers all!
Old 10-17-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I think that is my point and others too, nobody "needs" the loudness wars. But when these subscription services offer files from brickwalled mastering or simple CD rips, it comes thru.
Very true as it starts from the mixing step where the engineer does not articulate the instruments and put them where maybe they should be. I mean we really don't need vocals, distorted guitars and drums fighting to be out front on all songs...

Cheers all!
I think the engineers owe us that after decades of assaulting and insulting our ears.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:

Cheers all!
+1 on that but there are others as well that would do a fine job. See below just to name a few.

Steve Hoffman
Kevin Grey
Barry Diament

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophilehi View Post
+1 on that but there are others as well that would do a fine job. See below just to name a few.

Steve Hoffman
Kevin Grey
Barry Diament
I agree my friend, Kevin has been doing a great job and of course Hoffman is excellent.
Joe Reagoso has also done some very nice work.....
Old 10-17-2017, 06:08 PM

Tell me about it.

Those are the reasons why i’ve so many CD’s from DCC, MFSL, Audio Fidelity.

Some are still the best digital version ever of many albums.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:54 PM
McKlipschead

With this great hobby of ours, I’ve always searched and experimented to find the best sounding version of my favorite music. Why settle for less?