AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 09-29-2017, 12:54 AM
Greetings from NC

While I realize that the vinyl format is at times a bit noisier, using an ultrasonic RCM makes a huge difference. Plus it is so easy to clean and enjoy the music.
Two Channel: McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 amps x2, MR88 tuner, MEN220; Esoteric K-03X; Aurender N100C 4TB; B&W 802D2 Diamonds, JL Audio F113V2 x 2 on Sound Anchor Sub Stands; VPI Classic Signature Piano Black, Ortofon Cadenza Black, VPI SDS, periphery ring, StillPoints center weight, Gingko Audio ClaraVu Dust Cover CT, KAB SpeedStrobe, Dr. Feickert Analogue Protractor; Sonos with W4S digital modification to W4S Remedy to Esoteric; W4S PS1 Linear Power unit for the 2x Remedy and Recovery w/ W4S PS1 Power Cord; Torus RM20; Wireworld Silver Series 7 Electra/Starlight/Eclipse cables and WW Platinum Power Cord for Amps and Platinum USB for Aurender; KLAUDIO RCM; Steve Blinn Designs extra wide three shelf rack; GIK Acoustics panels and bass traps, StillPoints Ultra Minis under all gear and Stillpoint Ultra SS under amps and speakers.
Home Theater 7.2: McIntosh MX150, MC452, MC207; B&W 803D2 Diamonds, HTM2 center, CWM7.3 surrounds; JLAudio F112 x2 subs; Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 65" Studio Master Plasma; Oppo 205; Crown FM Two Tuner; Sonos with W4S Remedy; Apple TV; Furman Elite 20 amp PFi x2; WW and AQ Cables/Cords; Salamander Synergy Four Bay Cabinet
Office 2ch with McIntosh vintage refurbished gear: McIntosh MC275V6 x2 tube amps; Klipsch Cornwall I vintage speakers (1982); AQ Dragonfly Red DAC/Jitterbug/cables; PS Audio Dectet Power Center; Mcintosh C28, MC2105, MR78 (with mod), MQ101, each with original walnut cabinet and panloc (1976), MCD7008 (1996), ML1C speakers (1976); Bang & Olufsen Beogram 4002 turntable (1976) with new SoundSmith SMMC20CL cartridge (2015); Salamander double rack
Old 09-29-2017, 07:44 AM

I have a nice turntable that use use for critical listening per say. I also have a inexpensive table with a inexpensive needle that I play vinyl that is not pristine.
I really love slot of the old musical that can no longer be found in any other format.
I clean, treat with GruvGlide and enjoy the music.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:33 AM

Tim, 54 is young in my book !

Regardless, analog playback is not for all and a lot of the recent folks that have jumped on realize that and some of those that have been on board have lifestyle changes that have altered their original love affair. No big deal, plenty of music to enjoy though other formats ..................
Old 09-29-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timobi View Post

Color me frustrated with the results and the with the cost and effort.

Someone talk me away from the vinyl ledge

I enjoy both. I've often wondered if I had taken the money spent on a TT, cart, and accessories and used that to upgrade speakers then I would be ahead of where I am today. The same can be said for my digital source as well.

I do think that vinyl and digital have different sound. Anytime there is a difference, then some will develop a preference. In fact, it is straightforward to tailor your system to optimize either one or the other. For me, I have some music best enjoyed with vinyl and some best enjoyed with digital.

From my perspective it does not have to be an either-or proposition. That's from an old-timer that grew up on vinyl. I then converted to digital because the problems then were as you describe today. However I also get CDs and downloads that sound like crap from time to time.

It sounds from your post that you have a nice vinyl setup and are making really nice digital upgrades. My advice to talk you off the ledge is to get your new digital set up, tweaked to your satisfaction, and just enjoy. Take a "vinyl sabbatical". I'm betting that at some point you'll get the itch to pull out a record and give it a spin. Then you'll be glad you kept your equipment.
Speakers:
Wilson Sasha 1
Digital Sources:
Ayre QX-5 Music Hub/ DAC
Ayre CX-7-E mp CD player
SGC sonicTransporter
Turntable:
Brinkmann Bardo
12” Brinkmann arm w/ Lyra Delos
Cables:
Cardas Clear
Old 09-29-2017, 11:52 AM

Thank you to all for the comments. Yeah I know I had an overreaction audio moment. It happens from time to time.

Lots of good suggestions. I can't spend the money on an Ultrasonic machine. Honestly I don't have THAT many records. But you guys may be on to something on the VPI cleaner. I read some stuff that the vacuum felt while getting the cleaner off the records might also be leaving residue on it...and I wonder if my anti static dust thingy from Audio quest might be making matters worse. Its carbon fiber. All that is worth a look to see....

Another issue that someone mentioned was the tracking force could be off. Might be. I SO wish there was a VPI dealer nearby to give me a real BOTOX turntable injection and exam to make sure all is good. I watch the online vids and think I have it right but who knows.

The other thing could be as my system has evolved its also much more resolving and revealing than I've ever had. Any flaws or imperfections are clearly audible. With digital as well. Where's my 1990 polk speakers?

Thx again...I'll report back after a little Turntable and cleaning Dr Visit.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:03 PM
♫ Now playing... ♫

Gary,
Excellent advice and words of wisdom. I've been in IT for 30+ years and the thought of spending my retirement years chained to a cellphone or iPad to enjoy my music is just flat depressing. The world of 1s and 0s is the gold standard for frustrating human beings. If you enjoy vinyl, then try both before jumping ship completely.
McIntosh MX150, C2300, MC601 (5), MC207, MCD12000, MR88, MPC1500, LB100, MCLK12. Anthem AVM 90. Lumin U1. Bluesound Node. Oppo 205. Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3, CWM8.3D, CCM7.5 S2. SVS SB16-Ultra (4). Shunyata. Wireworld. Transparent. GIK.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timobi View Post

Soon in the house will be the McIntosh D1100 and Aurender N10. The digital will sound even better than I have now.
Why not go with what makes more sense and sounds best to you and not try to follow the crowd. Just ignore what others say.

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+...SkwJKzeoJVoRM:
Old 09-29-2017, 03:06 PM

I'm not the first and won't be the last to say that the allure and appeal of the vinyl LP is its expense and ceremonial inconvenience to play.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:35 PM

I mostly play digital (stream Tidal & NAS but no longer play CDs). I also play LPs from time to time However, playing an LP forces you to forget about the tablet or phone or remote and make you to sit down and enjoy a whole side of uninterrupted music which can feel very liberating and enjoyable.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
I mostly play digital (stream Tidal & NAS but no longer play CDs). I also play LPs from time to time However, playing an LP forces you to forget about the tablet or phone or remote and make you to sit down and enjoy a whole side of uninterrupted music which can feel very liberating and enjoyable.
You mean uninterrupted for a maximum of 22 minutes and that is for someone with the patience and discipline to listen to every track on a 33 1/3 lp. Bless those that can do it.