AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 08-02-2020, 10:06 AM

Default The New McIntosh HT amplifiers

I have a combination “music room”/home theater. The backbone of the audio currently consists of a Theta Digital Casablanca IV preamp/processor, Revel Ultima Studio/Voice/Embrace speakers and three 15 year old Krell stereo and mono power amps. I love how the audio portion of my system sounds playing music. However, . . .

McIntosh recently released a new family of three/five/seven multi-channel power amplifiers. I was thinking of replacing my three Krell amps with the new McIntosh 255 five-channel amp. Has anyone heard how that 255 amp, or any other member of this new family, sounds playing music?

Main System: Theta Casablanca V preamp/processor; Wadia 8 CD transport and Digimaster DDC 2000 DAC (w/all updates); Theta Compli CD transport; Oppo UDP-203 disc player; Lumin T2 music server/DAC; Roon Nucleus+ core (w/Teddy Pardo LPS); SOTA Sapphire turntable (w/ Premier FT3 arm and Hana SL cartridge); SugarCube SC-2 non-destructive "click and pop" removal device; PS Audio Stellar phono preamp; Magnum Dynalab MD-102 FM tuner (w/MD-205 Signal Sleuth FM antenna amplifier and ST-2 FM antenna); McIntosh MC 611 (3), Krell FPB 200C, and KAV-250a power amplifiers; Revel Ultima Studio (2 - L&R), Voice (1 - center), and Embrace (2 sides and 2 surrounds) speakers; SVS PB-16 Ultra (2) and 3000 Micro (2) powered subwoofers; WireWorld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables; various Kimber Kable, MIT, Shunyata, and WireWorld interconnects; Shunyata Denali 2000/T (2), Denali 6000/S, Hydra [original], Hydra 2, and Venom PS10 power conditioners; various Shunyata Delta, Venom, PowerSnake, and Sidewinder power cords, and Venom Defenders (2); Richard Gray's Power Company Substation and 400 Pro; Luxul AGS-1024 Ethernet switch; Sound Anchor amplifier stand; VTI (2) and Billy Bags (4) equipment racks.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:19 AM

I do not have the new 225 five channel but I do have a MC207 which has done a great job in my home theater. The only thing I would say is open the amp. Up in the store and make sure yours does not have a loud hum coming from the transformers. My first amplifier had a loud hum which Mcintosh replaced however I did not know it until I went home the dealer was about 3 hours each way ie check before you leave the dealer
Old 08-06-2020, 03:51 PM

I have a friend who just purchased a 205 to take over for a Krell system. He really likes the change, noting that his "bright" speakers sound a little fuller in the midrange. Overall, he is super satisfied. He is sending his Krells in for service and wanted something to use in the interim and to support a second system.

I just purchased a second 205 and directly compared it to the 462. The 205 is a terrific amp and if your speakers do not require crazy power, then it is a great way to go. There is some new old stock 205s available that make them quite price attractive. The 255 is "improved" except even the dealer said it is hard to really tell the difference (aside from running higher wattages and using it as a 3 channel setup).

I have had 0 issues with either of my 205s (owned the first one about 6 years now).

Your Krells are really good. I'm not sure you are going to see a massive improvement for the amount of money you are going to invest.