AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 12-14-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crytklmass View Post
If B&W moves production to China, My current Speakers will be my last. Competitive or not. I will buy some Wilson's Made in the U.S.A. just like my McIntosh Amps. Support out jobs and our country. Yes I know, the internal parts are made in china and wherever but there built in the U.S. If they are built in china, the prices should be lowered by $5,000.00 since there employee's are paid less.
Then it's okay to move the production to Japan or Germany where they are paid more.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:52 PM

Products made in foriegn countries and imported to America cause an enourmous number of Americans to be employed. From the docks to transportation to distributors to retailers and everything in between. This idea that foriegn made goods do not benefit some Americans, although it may have hurt others, is misguided. And there are arguments made that in many cases, the net employment increases with imported goods.

As for pricing, goods are priced at what the market will bear, or they disappear from the market.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:52 PM

Much better than China. The worlds highest source of pollution not to mention all the problems with children's toy's in the U.S. Were getting way off topic. Im not bashing China, but we need to keep our jobs here in the U.S. or at least other countries that take care of there population and citizens humanly. Stillone Your gear appears to be made mainly in the U.S.A. but appears you have some interest in outsourcing jobs.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaefer11 View Post
Products made in foriegn countries and imported to America cause an enourmous number of Americans to be employed. From the docks to transportation to distributors to retailers and everything in between. This idea that foriegn made goods do not benefit some Americans, although it may have hurt others, is misguided. And there are arguments made that in many cases, the net employment increases with imported goods.

As for pricing, goods are priced at what the market will bear, or they disappear from the market.
It looks like I pretty much agree with you. I have no issues with having to compete against global companies as long as the playing field is level. (US products often face tariffs or other restrictions).

For those of you have not spent a lot of time in China, many of those companies exporting to the US are American owned or Joint Ventures with American firms. We don't complain when they pay dividends to our Portfolio's.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:

The American made goods add the raw materials, American paid man hours, facility/factory build out, up keep, maintenance, taxes, while retaining the transportation, distribution, retailers, etc... Oh, yeah, the taxes and profits are also recycled back into our economy for the most part. The most "patriotic" approach is to buy products from a small independent American company, this way it is a "closed loop" and the money stays here. Buying McIntosh, for example may keep some American folks employed but where does the profit go? At least now it is Bain Capital which is Boston based and they invest in many American companies such as AMC Entertainment, Brookstone, Burger King, Burlington Coat Factory, Domino's Pizza, DoubleClick, Guitar Center, Hospital Corporation of America (HCA), Sealy, The Sports Authority, Toys R Us, Unisource, Warner Music Group and The Weather Channel.

Most of my gear is and was from small American companies like Lamm, Ayre, Cary, Conrad Johnson, BAT, Convergent Audio Technology, Rogue Audio, Wilson just to name a few. Come to think of it, the only foreign products are the Clearaudio table and the EAR phono stage.

When it comes to cars, I wish American companies would offer something more competitive so I could switch.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:13 PM

Last edited by PHC1; 12-14-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:14 PM

Old 12-14-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
The American made goods add the raw materials, American paid man hours, facility/factory build out, up keep, maintenance, taxes, while retaining the transportation, distribution, retailers, etc... Oh, yeah, the taxes and profits are also recycled back into our economy for the most part. The most "patriotic" approach is to buy products from a small independent American company, this way it is a "closed loop" and the money stays here. Buying McIntosh, for example may keep some American folks employed but where does the profit go? At least now it is Bain Capital which is Boston based and they invest in many American companies such as AMC Entertainment, Brookstone, Burger King, Burlington Coat Factory, Domino's Pizza, DoubleClick, Guitar Center, Hospital Corporation of America (HCA), Sealy, The Sports Authority, Toys R Us, Unisource, Warner Music Group and The Weather Channel.

Most of my gear is and was from small American companies like Lamm, Ayre, Cary, Conrad Johnson, BAT, Convergent Audio Technology, Rogue Audio, Wilson just to name a few. Come to think of it, the only foreign products are the Clearaudio table and the EAR phono stage.

When it comes to cars, I wish American companies would offer something more competitive so I could switch.
The amount of "foriegn" goods and content that are in the products of the companies you mention is incalculable. We do not, and cannot, live in a vacuum.

And if you want an American car, take a look at many of the models made by Nissan, Toyota, BMW, Mercedes, Hyundai and soon to be, Kia, and probably others. Oh, and beware of the "American" cars made in Mexico and Canada.
The point is, it is impossible to do what you say.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crytklmass View Post
Much better than China. The worlds highest source of pollution not to mention all the problems with children's toy's in the U.S. Were getting way off topic. Im not bashing China, but we need to keep our jobs here in the U.S. or at least other countries that take care of there population and citizens humanly. Stillone Your gear appears to be made mainly in the U.S.A. but appears you have some interest in outsourcing jobs.
I take it you have never spent any time in China so I assume you have no first hand knowledge of what it is like there or in their manufacturing plants. Yes you can find terrible work environments all over the place, but they are disappearing at an astounding pace. Most of the plants that are producing mainstream products for export to Japan, the US and Europe (small electronics, auto parts, etc) are all ISO certified and have safe work environments. If they are partnered with a US or European company they don't hire people under 18. They are provided meals and many with transportation to and from work.

No they do not have all of the freedom we do here and we should be very thankful, but they have a lot more than 10 years ago.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
The amount of "foriegn" goods and content that are in the products of the companies you mention is incalculable. We do not, and cannot, live in a vacuum.

And if you want an American car, take a look at many of the models made by Nissan, Toyota, BMW, Mercedes, Hyundai and soon to be, Kia, and probably others. Oh, and beware of the "American" cars made in Mexico and Canada.
The point is, it is impossible to do what you say.
I understand that but there has to be a better balance... Do you not agree or do you simply ignore the current US trade deficit? I do not embrace the "protectionism" concept but it seems our exports are sliding further and further, improving only slightly during the times of weakening dollar while the imports are at an all time high? As far as cars, I've owned all of the above you mentioned at one time or another except KIA. The latest being a BMW made in South Carolina. I've also made American cars that were made over seas.