AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:18 PM

Glenn, if music is all you are interested in, why not consider one of the digital audio players (DAP)??? https://www.themasterswitch.com/best...-audio-players
Old 08-09-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 View Post
You can use all your own files, ripped from your own discs. That’s what I’ve done.
Basically, you load your PCM based files (I forget if flac was added to the list) through the iTunes application, and sync your iPod or iPhone to the computer that is running iTunes and has the files.

You can rip either compressed with quite respectable sound quality or uncompressed with no quality loss.

Also, you don’t have to use iTunes to rip. You can use dbpoweramp, among many, to get bit perfect rips. Then drag the rips into the iTunes app’s library.

For DSD files, the Onkyo app has a special helper tool to facilitate getting those files onto your device. iTunes won’t handle DSD.

Someone above mentioned the default dac resolutions that iPod and iPhone support and I believe that’s the case using the Music app (what iTunes was renamed on iDevices). But the Onkyo player, among others will play back hi res files at their native resolutions that you load into the Music app. So in that case you wouldn’t need any other accessories if you want to keep it real simple, without the need for an external dac. DSD files do get converted to PCM by the Onkyo player, however. I haven’t tried playing DSD files so I can’t vouch for how that sounds but the PCM upsampling options in the Onkyo app aren’t too bad and come in handy based on the headphones or system you listen through.

Check out this good article:
https://www.whathifi.com/advice/how-...-your-iphone-0

Another option besides the iPod Touch, if you want higher capacities of 256 and 512GB, might be to look at a used iPhone, and not activate it - basically use it only with WiFi, like an iPod Touch. I think that would work.

Oh, I keep mentioning the Onkyo app and it’s worth noting that you don’t do anything special to have this app access your music files on your device. The Onkyo app sees the music files in the Music app of your device, and you search, sort, and play the files as if they were natively in the Onkyo app.

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 08-09-2018, 11:38 PM
Retired

Quote:
Another option besides the iPod Touch, if you want higher capacities of 256 and 512GB, might be to look at a used iPhone, and not activate it - basically use it only with WiFi, like an iPod Touch. I think that would work.
Hmmm.......... that could be a good choice. My wife's 6S is due for the "free" upgrade in Dec. Will check out if I can get it when she does. Have to figure out if it is 256GB or 512GB.

Thanks for all the other info.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 08-09-2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Yes............. am looking at the iPod Touch. Am wondering if the other options mentioned would work with an Apple certified iPod dock. Am looking at a Manley Stingray iTube.

I thought you were looking for a solution for traveling purposes? Are you planning to travel with the Manley as well? [emoji848]
Old 08-10-2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Hmmm.......... that could be a good choice. My wife's 6S is due for the "free" upgrade in Dec. Will check out if I can get it when she does. Have to figure out if it is 256GB or 512GB.

Thanks for all the other info.

I realize I was confusing iPhone and iPad capacities.
iPhone maxes out at 256, I think,and the first model to have that was the iPhone 7.
The 6s was maxed at 128GB capacity, if memory serves me.

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 08-10-2018, 12:45 AM

Default iPod ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
I thought you were looking for a solution for traveling purposes? Are you planning to travel with the Manley as well? [emoji848]

That’s what I thought too? A Manley is nothing that packs easily and as I said above, doesn’t work with a lightning device unless you have an adapter. What is your goal with this setup and do you really need anything beyond CD quality from an iPod for traveling purposes? AIFF format music files transfer easily to an iPod through iTunes and will not use as much memory as hi rez files. In case you didn’t know, AIFF is the Apple’s IOS format for copying CD’s in an exact uncompressed copy.

Also, you state that your wife has an iPhone 6s, do you have an iPhone as well? If so, you should be familiar with the music app and how it works. If you do not, then why don’t you ask her to show you the music app?

Last edited by Stahle; 08-10-2018 at 01:10 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:28 AM
Retired

Won't travel with the Manley (a bit cumbersome @ 35 pounds ), only the iDevice (or similar) & a pair of earbuds or USB port into the car system.

I own zero Apple devices. Wife owns iPads & iPhone. However, she has no music apps as she couldn't care less about same unless she can dance. So no help there.

Serge - thanks for the DAP list. They seem to be an even simpler way to go than an iDock and several with good reviews are reasonably priced. Will start looking at a few, like the Shanling M3s and AGPTEK H3. Both can be expanded to 256GB and offer Bluetooth.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 08-10-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:47 PM

Quote:
snip.
For either an iPod Touch or iPhone, I recommend downloading the Onkyo HF player, which is free. It plays Music with better quality than iTunes and has numerous audiophile settings.
snip
I just downloaded this app. Blessing and a curse.
Music I bought on iTunes sounds better on this app than in iTunes.
Except a lot of my music is DRM protected and it won't play it.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Glenn, if music is all you are interested in, why not consider one of the digital audio players (DAP)??? https://www.themasterswitch.com/best...-audio-players
Hey Serge,
I've been thinking of an Astral and Kern player but the 256 gb is really a turn off for the price so I've been putting it off. Aside from that limitation, would I be better served with an iphone connected to a pocket amp/dac like the new MHA50, or an Astell and Kern dedicated player?

Right now I'm rocking out on my iphone with tidal app with IEM Shure se846 with a silver litz ALO cable with lightning jack. I also use Campfire Audio Andronica with the same type of cable.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Hey Serge,
I've been thinking of an Astral and Kern player but the 256 gb is really a turn off for the price so I've been putting it off. Aside from that limitation, would I be better served with an iphone connected to a pocket amp/dac like the new MHA50, or an Astell and Kern dedicated player?

Right now I'm rocking out on my iphone with tidal app with IEM Shure se846 with a silver litz ALO cable with lightning jack. I also use Campfire Audio Andronica with the same type of cable.
iPhone is actually a great sounding source when paired with the right headphones. The problem is not so much the DAC of the iPhone but the amplification section that is not capable of driving many of the headphones properly. Once a low impedance, high sensitivity pair is hooked up to an iPhone, it is an eye opening experience. Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 is a great example of that. 25 ohm/94dB let's the iPhone amp section take control over those cans and the bass lines the combo can deliver is quite impressive. The Sennheiser 300 ohm headphones on the other hand are way too much of a load for the iPhone and the resulting performance is not good.

Your Campfire Andromeda is
112.8 dB SPL/mW Sensitivityand 12.8 Ohms @ 1kHz Impedance, the iPhone can deliver all the juice they could ever want or need.

I would focus on the quality of sound and features of the source that would appeal to you with your headphones as the added power of an outboard DAC/amp may not be worth the $$$ spent at all.