AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 11-30-2015, 02:16 AM

Can anyone recommend decent budget power cord to replace the factory one on my mcintosh mx150 and mc205? Thanks!
Old 12-01-2015, 05:59 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
Can anyone recommend decent budget power cord to replace the factory one on my mcintosh mx150 and mc205? Thanks!
The term "budget" may mean different things to different people, but based on my concept of the term there are several options.

Despite my writing about their less-than-tight IEC connections in another thread, Wireworld makes good power cords at reasonable prices, notably the Stratus, Aurora, and Electra. There are the Shunyata Venom and Venom HC. Transparent makes the Performance PowerLink and High Performance PowerLink. And there's Kimber's PowerKord 10 Base and Ascent.

All the above are under $500, some are well under. These are for 2m lengths (6 feet in the Kimber's case).
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 12-01-2015, 10:03 PM

Thanks prepress. the wireworld Stratus is exactly what I've been looking for.
Theater: McIntosh MC8207(2), Lyngdorf MP40, Focal Sopra n2(2), Sopra Center, IW6 (4), ICW6 (4), HSU ULS15(2), Sony VPL285ES, Wireworld Equinox 8, NVIDIA Shield Pro, Harmony Elite, Furman PST8, Shunyata V14(5)
Main: Marantz SR6012, B&O Beolab3(3), Beogram TX, SVS SB1000, Polk RC60i(6), NVIDIA Shield Pro, Audioquest Blueberry, AC Infinity T8
Bedroom: Integra DSX3, Polk RC60i(5), Cambridge Minx X301(2), NVIDIA Shield, Harmony Companion
Old 12-05-2015, 06:43 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
Thanks prepress. the wireworld Stratus is exactly what I've been looking for.
Yes, I have no complaints about how things sound with them, or the Electras either. I have Stratus cords on my sources (except the turntable, which has a captive cord).
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 12-05-2015, 10:14 PM

I use Transparent premium on sources and Transparent Reference on Bryston amp.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:26 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
I use Transparent premium on sources and Transparent Reference on Bryston amp.
My experience with Transparent's Plus interconnects suggests their power cords would be good also. But my wallet would limit me to the High Performance or (maybe) Premiums. Reference is way out of my league. My main thought now is a power cord for my Furman SPR-20i VR, which is a 20A unit. I'm considering a Shunyata Venom HC for that, then a heavy-gauge extension to get it to the wall. This would replace a Wireword Stratus/Pangea adapter combo.

Last edited by prepress; 12-19-2015 at 06:23 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:25 PM
Semi-audiophile

Well, I bought a VooDoo Cable 15A to 20A IEC adapter for the WW cord on the Furman. I ordered it from Masterlu. What a difference! Much better grip than the Pangea adapter. I'd be much more confident poking around behind the system now, not concerned about dislodging the cord or breaking the connection.

I also got a C7 adapter for my LD player. Not as solid a grip, but I should untie the velcro strip holding the cord up to really test that.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:30 AM
Semi-audiophile

I'm more off the deep end than I thought. I keep coming back to these Transparent power cords and wonder if they'd make any difference on my MC501s: High Performance and Premium. This is curiosity more than anything, as it's not about sound, and I certainly don't need to buy anything. I need to start watching my discretionary spending more.

But, since I have Transparent Plus ICs from preamp to power amp, perhaps it would make theoretical sense? The Premium PC and Plus IC are in the same family. Or Kimber PK10 Ascent PCs, since I have 12TC speaker cable? On the other hand, all PCs are Wireworld currently, so is that consistency preferable?

I think my sense of completeness is showing. Perhaps, unless someone has experience with these Transparents or the Kimber to share, especially in comparison, I should let this go (if I can; so far the answer is no).

I can see how all this audio stuff can become a hobby. And if one isn't careful, an obsession . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPPL_1000__37019.1376060488.1280.1280.jpg (51.9 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg PRPL_1000__54236.1364075386.1280.1280.jpg (48.1 KB, 71 views)
Old 05-08-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
I'm more off the deep end than I thought. I keep coming back to these Transparent power cords and wonder if they'd make any difference on my MC501s: High Performance and Premium. This is curiosity more than anything, as it's not about sound, and I certainly don't need to buy anything. I need to start watching my discretionary spending more. But, since I have Transparent Plus ICs from preamp to power amp, perhaps it would make theoretical sense? The Premium PC and Plus IC are in the same family. Or Kimber PK10 Ascent PCs, since I have 12TC speaker cable? On the other hand, all PCs

are Wireworld currently, so is that consistency preferable? I think my sense of completeness is showing. Perhaps, unless someone has experience with these Transparents or the Kimber to share, especially in comparison, I should let this go (if I can; so far the answer is no). I can see how all this audio stuff can become a hobby. And if one isn't careful, an obsession . . .
The other option to consider is the previous generation mm2 reference power cord. Since transparent released the new G5 reference cables, the mm2 can be had for around $600. While not as good as the new G5 reference they are an awesome value. I purchased one and felt it was a noticeable upgrade from my power link premium.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:40 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by diononiz View Post
The other option to consider is the previous generation mm2 reference power cord. Since transparent released the new G5 reference cables, the mm2 can be had for around $600. While not as good as the new G5 reference they are an awesome value. I purchased one and felt it was a noticeable upgrade from my power link premium.
The Transparent store offers only up to Premium level for PCs. So if I wanted to take the plunge, I'd have to look around. Thanks for the suggestion.