AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Martin Logan

Martin Logan Panel Speakers Extraordinare

Old 02-12-2017, 03:59 PM

I was merely pointing out that the CLX's panel size (high freq transducer) is really not that big (490 sq in) vs that of the Renaissance 15a (690 sq in)
Old 03-11-2017, 12:49 AM

I'll get to hear the Renaissance 15a on the 25th of this month when Magnolia in Dallas(Preston Rd) has an audio event where they will have the 15a's to demo. Finally get to hear them and then decide which I like better! All I can say so far is that the CLX with the pair of 212 subs were in another class from the 13a Expression because I did get get to compare those head to head and to me it was no contest(clearly my opinion only). The vastness of the sound stage was unlike anything I've ever heard with the CLX. Can't wait to hear the 15a's! Anyone in Dallas should come out so we could all meet up in person!
Old 03-12-2017, 05:43 PM

gadawg, I purchased CLX's last summer and still think the are amazing.

I went to listen to them at the client home of the dealer I was working with.
After listening for about 1 1/2 hours I went with the dealer back to his showroom and listened to the 15A's.
Though they sounded great I would say that, for me, the CLX's were about about 20% better.

All that and the cost of the CLX's were about 10% less than the 15A's.

I have them mated with the 4 Depth i subs I used with my previous CLS IIz's.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:01 PM

I was able to meet up with gadawg at the event... We didn't get to hang out for too long but we swapped some thoughts on the 15a. Enlightening event.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:05 AM

Joey ... great to finally get to meet you today!!! As for the 15a .... They definitely do some things really well and no doubt a larger sound stage than my Ethos. Definitely can tell they are related though and in a smaller room the Ethos would still be great. For me the CLX with 2 ML212 subs really is in a different league all together. The CLX had much more presence, slightly better imaging and about the same depth presentation as the 15a. The CLX almost seemed a little smoother on the top end as well. Now I just have to decide if I really want to live with the CLX long term as they won't easily go into another room if I upgrade again down the line. :-) Will let you guys know what I decide in the next few weeks for sure!

George
Old 03-26-2017, 10:17 PM

Well this seems easy. . Never compromise. I am stepping into a similar speaker in the summer. I have a room ... and they will work. Will I have a room in the future? Well if I make that a priority... yes!! I have trouble backing off of the kit because of room. I always figure if I don't have the room now - I will in the future. Then I only spend once.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:45 AM

Default Mid bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadawg View Post
Hi guys ... been listening to Ethos for a few months at home now that are eventually destined for a secondary system when new house gets finished in April(New dedicated audio room roughly 22X28 with 9 foot ceilings). I really like the Ethos but want to move up as I move the Ethos to their new home. My question is ... what am I getting as I move into the larger panel sizes that are now offered by the new Masterpiece series? Having zero luck being able to demo the units side by side in any kind of listenable environment so am going to need some help understanding what I might get with a move up. The things I would love to experience is a bit more focus while retaining all of the qualities the Ethos have. Maybe a bit more depth overall and lower midrange detail as well. I get the bass is much better detailed and dialed in especially with the bass kit. So ... While I could go for the Renaissance are they really going to give me more of what I'm looking for over the Expressions? For that matter are the Expressions going to deliver those same improvements over the Ethos? Not sure I can't arrange an in home demo either so really need some good input here from those of you who may have heard these already in good environments. Thanks in advance for any advise!
I have ESL 15A now, had CLX Descent I x2 before if mid bass is your thing can,t go wrong with CLX and Bal. 212 that's some of the best mid bass and lower mid range I have ever heard from M.L. System to new to speak of ESL 15A. Will say room size might like Neoliths as I have read they need room to sing.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:17 PM

Please let us know what you think of the 15As once you get to know them a little! :-)