AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 05-02-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreginNH1 View Post
Back to the topic, I just received a used pair of WELs. Solid upgrade from anything I had in my loom (Wireworld Platinum and other brands).
Tell us more about the WELs! How do they match with the Ayre AX-5 Twenty? I wish I could find one around and give it a listen. I'm interested in an integrated amp... (not that I'm discontent with the BAT).
Pre-amp/Digital: exaSound e32 w UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; SOtM tX-USBultra w UpTone LPS1.2; Apple Mac Mini w UpTone DC Conversion Kit & UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server 7.9.0
Speakers: Triangle Magellan Cello II
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR, AudioQuest Everest, AudioQuest Hurricane HC, AudioQuest NRG-1000, AudioQuest Diamond USB
Rack: Solid Tech Hybrid
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

Last edited by johndoe21ro; 06-04-2019 at 04:01 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:18 PM

Default What do you bet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricjor1 View Post
I have Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 7 XLR interconnect cable. A couple of days ago my friend let me borrow the discontinued Audioquest Niagara XLR cables. In my system I just can't believe how much more my wife and I prefer the Niagara cables, The Niagara is more detailed, better separation, and just has better tonality. I don't have the ability to audition Fire or Wild and I'm not going to buy Audioquest Wel signatures. Can anyone with Audioquest experience tell me the sweet spot in Audioquest's current interconnect line-up?
this never hits the front page!
Old 06-18-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trace View Post
this never hits the front page!
I ended up purchasing Audioquest Fire. I'm assuming your comment is suggesting it won't hit the front page, because Wireworld is pushed on here? There are no absolutes in audio, only preferences. I'm 100% sure with different components I may prefer Wireworld. I prefer Audioquest in my system, but I would never say they are "better". Cables are about synergy with a given system.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:04 PM

Default Power Dragon cords.

It will be interesting to read from those that have purchased but no received these new AQ power cords. M. Fremer and Joe Harley are very enthused with them.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:55 AM

Quote:
I prefer Audioquest in my system, but I would never say they are "better". Cables are about synergy with a given system.
Yes. I admit I've recently reverted my main system interconnects from WEL (1 RCA, 1 XLR) to Wild Blue Yonders, and I'm enjoying it more than ever. I'm feeling that perhaps my system doesn't have much more to give past the WBY level, and also the slight warmth of the WBY might be a better tonal match for its current state of things. It's not like the WBY are exactly cheapies, either!

I can still try the WEL on the Stax 009S/BHSE/SOTA system and see how they gel there - might be a different story. And I'll try the WEL's again when I switch my main arm from a Graham/Koetsu combo to a Fidelity Research FR64S with Koetsu.

Hurricane cords have been doing very nicely on my tube monoblocks. The Fire interconnects, Hurricane cords, and Wild LP phono (again, doing a lot of what the WEL LP does for a lot less) really strike me as the sweet-spots in the high-end of the AQ line.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:51 AM

Default Touche'

Quote:
Cables are funny. I replaced Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 7 XLRs with the Audioquest Fire. In my system I prefer the Fire in every way we judge cables!
Using logic I rushed out and purchased a Audioquest Diamond USB cable. Surprise!!! I prefer the Wireworld Platinum USB cable in every way we judge cables!

Touche' !

Indeed, it is a fascinating reality.

Nicely spoken,

pj
Old 07-23-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Cables are funny. I replaced Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 7 XLRs with the Audioquest Fire. In my system I prefer the Fire in every way we judge cables!
Using logic I rushed out and purchased a Audioquest Diamond USB cable. Surprise!!! I prefer the Wireworld Platinum USB cable in every way we judge cables!
I am not surprised. The AQ Diamond USB cable is about 9 years old. My wife and I found the Synergistic Research Atmosphere X to be a better USB cable and it is about the same price. The Shunyata Research Sigma and Alpha USB cable are probably even better but cost more. I’d probably upgrade to the Alpha but I am using a type C to B connection. You might want to ask Ivan for his thoughts here.

Last edited by DaveM; 07-23-2020 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Corrected quoted response
Old 07-23-2020, 11:24 PM

Update...several months ago after comparing Wireworld Platinum series 8 XLR, I sold my AQ Fire XLR. In my system the new series of WW Platinums are detailed and I prefer the way they reproduce the soundstage in my system.
Old 10-09-2021, 01:44 AM

it is interesting. I am looking forward to WW cable.