AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 02-02-2018, 01:31 PM

Default Matching speakers to MC75 mono blocks

I've already posted this on another forum, so forgive me if you've already seen this.

I've just purchased and installed a pair of MC75 60th Anniversary amps and now I'm looking at upgrading my speakers. In this room I am currently using B&W 805S speakers. I've enjoyed these speakers a lot over the years and the MC75's bring out a greater level of detail, imaging and soundstage than I've heard with these speakers before, but I'd like to bring all the components in this room to a similar level.

Some details:
- The room size is fairly small at 13 ft * 10 ft
- I sit about 8 ft from the speakers.
- The speakers will be about 1 ft from the back wall
- I'd prefer to stick with monitors/bookshelfs for this room

I think the sensitivity of the B&W's is about 88db. I'm not sure how much I need to worry about the sensitivity of speakers with the MC75's, but I imagine I'd probably want 87db or higher.

These speakers will be the last part of the upgrade cycle. Budget is around $7000 - used is fine (about the same I paid for the preamp and amps)

Even though my system is all tubes, it is still extremely detailed. The MC75's surprised me a little in this regard when I first heard them at a friend's house.

I consider some Mac vintage SS amps to have a warmer sound, but the MC75's have a more modern sound with that great detail I mentioned before and superb dynamics, soundstage and imaging (being mono blocks probably helps with the latter). So, there is no problem with the newer speakers being on the slightly warmer side.

I have friends with plenty of higher end floor standers I can audition, but not many of these friends have higher end monitors/bookshelfs.
Turntable: VPI Prime Signature Cart: Benz Micro LP-S DAC: Lampizator Golden Atlantic Preamp: Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps: Mac MC75 * 2 60th Anniv., Mac MC205 Speakers: Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S, Totems Headphone amp: Glenn 300B Headphones: LCD-4
Old 02-02-2018, 01:52 PM
Retired

My MC75s played extremely well with Joseph Audio and Focal Electra speakers monitors. Based on what I'm hearing from the new Canton Reference 9K speakers in my current system, I would expect them to play very well with the MC75s. It was a toss-up between the Canton 9Ks or a pair of used Focal Sopra 1s for me. Am sure the Sopra 1s would have been wonderful, as well.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 02-02-2018, 02:13 PM

You might be surprised how good PMC speakers sound with a McIntosh tube system. They have two bookshelf models in the twenty5 series to choose from that come in under your budget. They are the twenty5.21’s and the larger twenty5.22’s. I have the older twenty series 21’s paired with an MC275 which is temporarily being controlled by a solid state McIntosh C15. I say temporarily because a couple of months ago I was given the opportunity to borrow a C2300 for several days. Those speakers combined with a complete McIntosh tube system was magic. Don’t get me wrong, they sound great with the C15, but not even close to how amazing they sounded when I replaced it with the C2300.

Before purchasing the PMC’s, I had the fortunate ability to try five or six different pairs of speakers in my home before making my decision. If you can do the same, I highly recommend it because the speaker that sounded the best in the store was not the top contender at home.

Last edited by Stahle; 02-02-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:31 PM

I briefly listened to the Totem Signature One which are 87dB but a tube friendly 8 ohm and they sounded great for the money. Designed for smaller rooms and can do OK when 1-3 ft away from the wall. https://totemacoustic.com/en/signatu...specifications
Old 02-02-2018, 03:33 PM

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...ne-loudspeaker
Old 02-02-2018, 04:31 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahle View Post
You might be surprised how good PMC speakers sound with a McIntosh tube system.
Not to argue, as we all hear what we hear, but the PMC TB2 (if memory serves on the model #) were the worst monitor speakers I've owned in the past 40yr. They were absolutely horrible with the MC75s and after 2-weeks of trying to break them in, back they went. Perhaps their newer speakers are better. Obviously, YMMV.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 02-02-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I briefly listened to the Totem Signature One which are 87dB but a tube friendly 8 ohm and they sounded great for the money. Designed for smaller rooms and can do OK when 1-3 ft away from the wall. https://totemacoustic.com/en/signatu...specifications
I too like Totem's. I used to own the Totem Model One Signatures. I replaced those with the current B&W 805S.
Turntable: VPI Prime Signature Cart: Benz Micro LP-S DAC: Lampizator Golden Atlantic Preamp: Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps: Mac MC75 * 2 60th Anniv., Mac MC205 Speakers: Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S, Totems Headphone amp: Glenn 300B Headphones: LCD-4
Old 02-02-2018, 05:18 PM

Legacy makes some very efficient speakers and would pair well with your MC 75's. Enjoy those killer amps!
Old 02-02-2018, 05:37 PM

A few that I'm seeing available fairly locally:

B&W805 D3
Harbeth 40th Anniversary Monitor 30.2
Sonus faber - Guarneri Tradition (a bit out of my price range though - even used prices)
Dynaudio Confidence C1 Platinum (sensitivity might be a little low)
Old 02-02-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jordan View Post
Legacy makes some very efficient speakers and would pair well with your MC 75's. Enjoy those killer amps!
Those look great! Sensitivity of 95db as well. And there is a pair near me for sale. I think they'd be overkill for this particular room, but would work well where I currently have the floor standing B&W 804S... Don't tempt me