AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 12-28-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stth View Post
Bear: Please let me know what you think of the LP3a v. LP27.

I think they are both great and great values. More similar than different if not getting crazy with the tubes. The LP27 with run-of-the-mill 56s has been very quiet and more transparent than I would have thought. Where it gets interesting is with more unusual 27s. Mesh plate globes almost have an ethereal glow with weighty lower mids. Rolled off at both ends. I suspect there is some variation with these almost centenarian bulbs. I haven't found any that were very quiet, but I run them anyway. Just different.

I was surprised at how decent the LP3a sounded with JJs. I haven't rolled very many 6sn7s through, but 3-hole Bad Boys sounded great (I'm not sure the Bad Boys are worth what they are going for anymore, though). Tightened up the bass and brought more body to the mids.

To me, neither quite get to SLP98 or SLP05 level. They don't actually get much use, but I've had no problems with them. LP27 was lightly used and the LP3a was new.

Worst parts for me are the volume knob (just feels cheap) and the unlabeled inputs/outputs. Yeah, easy fix, I know.

What? You don’t like the chicken heads? I like the retro look and feel but I get it. A machined aluminum anodized jobber does have a nice feel.

I agree the two pres are more similar than dissimilar. I like the drive of the lp-3a and I like refinement of the lp-27. Interestingly I purchased the 27 to pair with my PSE and the 3a is of similar vintage (2013) and appearance as my Kt amp. They pair up best this way in appearance and specs. Recently though, I swapped them and I am really liking the unmatched pairings. Of course the for and aft components and speakers vary between the two systems so the differing impressions do not come from firm scientific methodology. I am REALLY liking the mismatch... except for the looks.

Per Analog’s comments I do like the psvane 6sn7s and some Nos Westinghouse with tall glass and copper rods. All other nos tubes I have tried have been disappointing. I have not tried the two AA recommends. Likely will not at their current and increasing prices. Never do I say never though.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:15 PM

I have a Raytheon 6SN7 and I do like it. Almost as much as I do the tall Westinghouse w/copper rods.

I think I am set for life with the Westinghouse. I have four which sound identical to my ears. My only usage for 6SN7s are the single one in my Inspire amp. As each one of these has a life of several thousand hours. I'm good to go.

Last edited by Bombadil; 12-29-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:49 AM

Pope 80, Balloon-type 56's and Psvane UK 6SN7 do it for me in my LP-27a.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:48 AM

Finally took the plunge and ordered a DENNIS HAD INSPIRE KT-150 TRIODE "Hot Rod" SINGLE ENDED AMPLIFIER today...

As much as I absolutely enjoy the sound of my Cary V12R with sixteen tubes, some times it can be a bit overkill when I'd simply like to listen to low volume music for a few hrs. The custom design speakers I built are right at 92db, so I'm hopeful ??? it will be good for low level listening.

Last edited by decooney; 01-06-2018 at 04:40 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
Finally took the plunge and ordered a DENNIS HAD INSPIRE KT-150 TRIODE "Hot Rod" SINGLE ENDED AMPLIFIER today...

As much as I absolutely enjoy the sound of my Cary V12R with sixteen tubes, some times it can be a bit overkill when I'd simply like to listen to low volume music for a few hrs. The custom design speakers I built are right at 92db, so I'm hopeful ??? it will be good for low level listening.

Congrats and welcome to the family. I predict you will be blown away by the single ended clarity in comparison to your P-P V12. I hope you have budgeted for tube rolling. There are a ton of options between 6v6 and the kt150s.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCityUSA View Post
Congrats and welcome to the family. I predict you will be blown away by the single ended clarity in comparison to your P-P V12. I hope you have budgeted for tube rolling. There are a ton of options between 6v6 and the kt150s.
Thanks. I actually have the V12"R" version with more recent hot-rod upgrades, the newer version Mundorf silver-gold coupling caps, hexfreds, and some other mods that brought it to a new level as well. I run it in strapped Triode mode, but also like it in Ultralinear for my larger speaker. While it's P-P, I don't expect the Inspire Hot Rod KT150 to have the nearly same grunt, but really looking forward to the single-ended sound. Prior to that, had a super-model SLI-80. I run an upgraded SLP-98 preamp with all NOS tubes, and plan to run the TS KT150s for a while on the Inspire. We'll see, plan to compare it to my former Sli-80, SA-200.2, and V12R in terms of overall sound and "musicality". IF I can play it at lower levels, and this little amp turns out to be much more musical, I'll be thrilled.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Have you looked at the 25W/ 6v6 Inspire monoblocks on Moon Audio? Now if DH would upfit these to kt150s, 4 per channel. WOW?
Hello, I read back through some of our former replies back and forth when I was still pondering a possible purchase. When you departed from your former mono blocks and moved to the your inspire mono blocks, did you run the same speakers, or eventually opt for a new/smaller/separate set of speakers to go with your new Inspire amps?. I'm considering keeping my larger 91/92db speakers for the V12R amp, and possibly building or buying a smaller set of speakers for the smaller Inspire Hot Rod KT150 amp. I did chat with Dennis a little. He also kept his V12 amp. When it comes to speakers I'm not a huge fan of horn PA sound. It seems finding a good speaker match above 93db will be the next challenge. I'm looking at anything from good full range drivers to mid size pro monitors. Did you go through this or okay running the same speakers you had prior?
Old 01-07-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Hello, I read back through some of our former replies back and forth when I was still pondering a possible purchase. When you departed from your former mono blocks and moved to the your inspire mono blocks, did you run the same speakers, or eventually opt for a new/smaller/separate set of speakers to go with your new Inspire amps?. I'm considering keeping my larger 91/92db speakers for the V12R amp, and possibly building or buying a smaller set of speakers for the smaller Inspire Hot Rod KT150 amp. I did chat with Dennis a little. He also kept his V12 amp. When it comes to speakers I'm not a huge fan of horn PA sound. It seems finding a good speaker match above 93db will be the next challenge. I'm looking at anything from good full range drivers to mid size pro monitors. Did you go through this or okay running the same speakers you had prior?

Sorry if I misrepresented my inspire system. I do not have Inspire mono-blocks. I have a KT66/88/120 which I have since had Dennis upgrade with the IIRPS w/o giving up my tube rectification. I also have one of the Inspire PSE amps with 2 output tubes per channel run SE in parallel. Both two channel SEP amps. Dennis was strong on running beam pentodes "as they were designed to be run" at the time. He has of late been wiring those same tubes in triode. I have yet to hear one. I look forward to my next visit to his factory for a listening session.

As to the speaker question. I was previously driving a pair of Epos ES14s (86db sensitivity) with my 25/50 watt Cary CAD50s. I did not feel that they were driven well by the KT amp at 6-12 watts and picked up a pair of Omega Super 7 mkII single driver monitors. I have been tweaking this setup with a pair of subs, rear firing tweeters and contour networks with Dennis' help. It has really opened up the listening space with little down side IMO. So, yes, I did change speakers.

I am currently adding onto our house and intend to place the PSE in the new living room. I have my eye currently on a pair of Spacial Audio M3 Turbo (maybe Triode Masters) for this system but I am holding off for now. Not exactly small but efficient OBs which have been recommended by other Inspire owners. I tend to shop constantly for speakers without actually buying any. Likely when the addition is finished I will be light on change and will continue shopping. We'll see.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:33 AM

Quote:
.... I tend to shop constantly for speakers without actually buying any...
OMG-osh, had to laugh when I read this, me too, intermittently as I swap amps and go right back to speaker hunting again for fun.... It's funny, I build my own speakers too with reasonable success with help from a friend on x-overs, but always looking for the next potential synergy.

I'm an air motion speaker freak in a sense, and use a few factory speakers as a reference point but may main 2ch system is run on my custom speakers. For the very first time I'm starting to look at full range and coax drivers and it's like starting from scratch all over again for this low-watt amp stuff.

Sorry, I may have confused myself looking at a few of your photos, thinking they were a set of mono. I looked back and I believe you mentioned once seeing if i/we could get DH to build some mono blocks. I believe your prior comment was probably correct, probably not gonna happen for me. GLAD to hear you were able to makes something work with the smaller stereo amp. That's where I'm gonna start/stay with this new amp, and just mess with some new speakers to buy/build. Not sure yet until i get the Inspire KT150 low-watt amp. HAVE NO IDEA WHAT to EXPECT. I'm only going off of how much I like my V12R and old threads here...AA.org. My main speakers are my custom design/build, about 92db best case, and I'll try with those first to see what kind of synergy I get or not, or how far off I'll be. DH seems to think they will work great. I gotta hear this...sort of rolled the dice. Closest I'll ever get to a nice SET amp will be this one.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
OMG-osh, had to laugh when I read this, me too, intermittently as I swap amps and go right back to speaker hunting again for fun.... It's funny, I build my own speakers too with reasonable success with help from a friend on x-overs, but always looking for the next potential synergy.

I'm an air motion speaker freak in a sense, and use a few factory speakers as a reference point but may main 2ch system is run on my custom speakers. For the very first time I'm starting to look at full range and coax drivers and it's like starting from scratch all over again for this low-watt amp stuff.

Sorry, I may have confused myself looking at a few of your photos, thinking they were a set of mono. I looked back and I believe you mentioned once seeing if i/we could get DH to build some mono blocks. I believe your prior comment was probably correct, probably not gonna happen for me. GLAD to hear you were able to makes something work with the smaller stereo amp. That's where I'm gonna start/stay with this new amp, and just mess with some new speakers to buy/build. Not sure yet until i get the Inspire KT150 low-watt amp. HAVE NO IDEA WHAT to EXPECT. I'm only going off of how much I like my V12R and old threads here...AA.org. My main speakers are my custom design/build, about 92db best case, and I'll try with those first to see what kind of synergy I get or not, or how far off I'll be. DH seems to think they will work great. I gotta hear this...sort of rolled the dice. Closest I'll ever get to a nice SET amp will be this one.
Your present speakers will be fine. Play with different rectifiers and input tubes before you change speakers. Don't obsess. Enjoy the amp.