AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 01-20-2017, 07:50 AM

x3workshop: "Contact me if you want a pair of 807's to try for a little while. Happy to lend you a pair."

Thanks so much for the kind offer. Currently, I have my hands full with potential interesting combinations to try with all my new tubes (KT-66, KT-77, 350B, 6550, CV-181 TII, CV-181 black glass), from which I've only tried the first two with only one different CV-181 so far as well as only one type (56 or 27) in the preamp. I'm sure the 807's may be nice too, so I'll keep your offer under consideration for later on

I'll be reporting on my impressions on the 350B and 6550 (both Valve Art). The 6P3S-E's did not compete with the KT-66's and KT-77's in spite of the new CV-181's, and remain in an important third place in my preferences. I'm convinced my gear has risen a significant notch in SQ with the new acquisitions and I feel very happy about it!

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 01-20-2017 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3workshop View Post
Yeah, I figured it was 2-4 awesome watts.
Do you have EL84 tubes?
Old 01-20-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
Do you have EL84 tubes?
Yes, of every race, religion, and ethnicity.

I use them in one of my guitar amps and 4 little PP UL monoblocs. Yes, I know UL is not favored in this forum, but who doesn't like some junk food every now and then?

Last edited by x3workshop; 01-20-2017 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:48 AM

Great to see the veteran 807 used. In the 60's we used 807's as RF output tubes and audio modulators in HF transmitters. I guess its a good sounding tube but I dont see it used much in audio.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGremlin View Post
Great to see the veteran 807 used. In the 60's we used 807's as RF output tubes and audio modulators in HF transmitters. I guess its a good sounding tube but I dont see it used much in audio.
I started with 4 from my father's old stash. He was a big RF guy. I probably would have overlooked them otherwise.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post
They may or may not be. The answer will be in the sales price, not the asking price. And, FWIW, my KT150 was not much less than that with the extra $ for special color request.

Is it on ebay?

edit: post searching, I see one on US Audio Mart for $1900 from 2014 in the standard black with walnut face. California seller. Same amp listed on AudioAsylum. May be a different one than you found.
Price on this amp lowered to $1750 overnight. Perhaps Aurelio/Dominguez is reading here! Helloooo Aurelio/Dominguez!

Last edited by pstrisik; 01-20-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:54 PM

It looks like he bought in 2014 for $1,650. I paid $1,282 including shipping for my similar KT88HO in early 2016. The tubes were different, which could account for some price difference. Dennis also used to list all the parts details, which he did not with mine. I assume, however, that the parts are similar apart from tubes and maybe capacitors.

I have some equipment that has increased in value since my purchase. However, most of these are items I bought well, are not typically still in production, and which have a growing market. I'm not sure I could reasonably expect to sell a used Inspire amp for more money than I paid for it, especially since a new, significantly improved version is currently being sold by Dennis. Recent sales of the IIPS KT88 are a little more than $1,300, and what looks like Alan's KT66 amp went for $1,650.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco65 View Post
It looks like he bought in 2014 for $1,650. I paid $1,282 including shipping for my similar KT88HO in early 2016. The tubes were different, which could account for some price difference. Dennis also used to list all the parts details, which he did not with mine. I assume, however, that the parts are similar apart from tubes and maybe capacitors.

I have some equipment that has increased in value since my purchase. However, most of these are items I bought well, are not typically still in production, and which have a growing market. I'm not sure I could reasonably expect to sell a used Inspire amp for more money than I paid for it, especially since a new, significantly improved version is currently being sold by Dennis. Recent sales of the IIPS KT88 are a little more than $1,300, and what looks like Alan's KT66 amp went for $1,650.
I agree. They are selling for 60-80% of original, roughly. Still pretty good for used equipment. You are right though, that later improvements would not make this a great value since you can buy directly with better capacitors and the IIPS for same or less new. I'm sure they will appreciate in value after some years when Dennis decides to truly retire. But I don't care. I don't think I will be looking to sell mine anytime soon, if ever.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:38 PM

Agree x2!
Old 01-21-2017, 02:13 PM

A follow-up on my tube-rolling quest (20 W output trannies, Triode-strapped kT-88 Inspire amp with black glass CV-181 and SE 274B, coupled with LP-27a using 56's).

Valve Art 350B:

The good: Great bass and PRAT. Nice soundstage. Relatively higher SPL (OTBE)
The bad: Veiled mid-range. High frequency roll-off. Piano and wind instruments' timbre is off. Lacking immediacy.
Shame, because these look well-built, are large and nice-looking.

Valve Art 6550 (Westinghouse-labelled Amperex Holland 5AR4 instead of SE 274B):

Surprisingly good! Excellent bass, neat, airy mid-range, not detail-masking at all. Not harsh or too bold. This may be even better than the GL KT-88, although the latter may offer slightly more sound body at the expense of a slightly less managed bass, masking some details. The KT-88 may offer more immediacy, but I'm not sure yet. These 6550's are keepers, raising my output tube favorites cluster to 5 very nice alternatives.

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 01-21-2017 at 02:23 PM.