AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Integrated

Integrated All in one, Still in Style

Old 03-13-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-D-Z View Post
Hello everybody! I'm new here, and after reading this entire thread, (and several others) what I have missed is more elaboration regarding just what it is about your choices that has made each piece particularly great, not great, or even unremarkable to your needs and expectations. The thing is, I'm a fellow who has not even heard of most of the models and brands mentioned, and would like to expand my range of understanding as to what components might be chosen to improve my system. In the early seventies I dreamed of owning an entire sound system from McIntosh, but this fantasy remained well beyond my means. Today my non-Mac system fulfills my needs very well, but now that I can afford selecting pieces from a broader scope of better components, I find that I don't know enough about them to make intelligent selections. That is why I say I am missing expanded discussion of what makes you feel that a selected model is exactly the right component. I believe that there are a great many folks here who actually know precisely what performance characteristics make each piece the best choice for their specific needs. ........ I've had two integrateds, only one of which I felt worth keeping. Upon recommendations from a (mid-fi) stereo salesman in 1975, I bought an Onkyo A-7055 and it's companion tuner T-4055. The salesman claimed it was a true performer, and a bargain as well, considering my limited resources. He said The Absolute Sound magazine had very high praise for this Onkyo tuner. I do not remember being impressed with either, so they were soon traded in toward a pair of ESS AMT-1a monitors which needed way more current to drive. The other integrated amp, which I do still have, is a Sansui AU-919. It is in a secondary system with it's matching tuner, the excellent TU-919. This amp is driving a pair of original Allison Eight oak speakers (consecutive serial numbers) which I've refurbished. This is a decent sounding vintage system. Politely accurate, in the standard and traditionally New England sense.
Welcome M-D-Z!
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 03-13-2016, 09:24 PM

I've recently replaced a Simaudio 250i with a Sonneteer Alabaster. I think it's a great match with my PSB T2 speakers.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:11 PM

I have the Mcintosh MA 7000 amp , I am very pleased .
Old 03-17-2016, 11:03 AM

I traded in a 9-yr old Classe CAP2100 for an Ayre AX5Twenty. I read great things about the Ayre. I heard great things from my Classe. Ayre has yet to break in, so unfair to compare, but jury still far out on whether this was a good decision.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:00 PM

I have used a Sonus Faber Musica integrated amplifier for the past 13 or 14 years. I bought it in Vicenza, back before SF had their new factory and when Franco Serblin was still alive. It is signed on the back, which is kind of neat. They only made 1000 examples, I beleive. The Musica is 50wpc at 8ohms, 100 into 4, and does pretty well with my SF Concerto speakers. It has been written up as a good match with the SF speakers of its era, at least the bookshelf models, and that is part of the reason I selected it. Another is that I was living in the area at the time and got a pretty good deal (pre-Euro exchange rate). Despite the bargain, it was a real stretch for my budget when I bought it. Looking back it was some of the best value I have ever gotten for money. It still works beautifully and looks terrific. I took it to a local hifi shop and hooked it up to some high efficiency DeVore speakers, which are not known for forgiveness. I thought it sounded smoother than the $4000 SET amp and the $3000 Line Magnetic tube amp. It uses MOSFETs, which might explain some of this. Back when I bought this thing TVs were still square. USB was new. There were no smart phones. Sometimes I wish it had a digital input or a built-in phono stage, but all that stuff comes and goes. This amp is still here, and still great. The only maintenance was a 2012 trip back to Vicenza for a refit ($400 - but shipping was cheap as I was in Europe at the time). I hope one day to upgrade to McIntosh separates, but for the last decade and a half I have been very happy with my little Italian integrated.

Update: In April an almost new McIntosh MA7900 came along and we could not be happier. \o/
l MA7900 Integrated Amp l Sonus Faber Concerto Speakers l Clearaudio Performance Turntable w/Ortofon Credenza Cartridge l Rega Saturn CD Player l Marantz Tuner l PlayStation-4 l Transparent MM2 Cables & Power l

Last edited by BWB75; 04-30-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:02 PM

i auditioned in my home mcintosh 7900, rowland continuum and plinius hautonga and plinius hiato. the plinius hiato was a clear winner. mains are thiel cs-6. the soundstage was huge and could listen to it all day with no fatigue even at increased volume.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:38 AM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Audio Research VSI60

Audio Research VSi60 integrated amplifier | Stereophile.com

Great all around Amp!!
Old 04-01-2016, 02:46 PM
Retired

Just ordered a Luxman SQ-N10.
http://www.luxman.com/product.php?pid=49
My understanding is that these are no longer being brought into the U.S., but there are a few left in the warehouse. Will see if that is true.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 04-01-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:11 PM

The Leben CS300X is a great little amp. There is also a fantastic headphone amp.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:30 PM
Retired

Luxman SQ-N10 also runs headphones off the output tubes, is considerably less expensive and has a remote (which sealed the deal for me). Would guess it is pretty much of a push on the quality (both are excellent). However, I like the look of tubes over there percolating away while the music flows, so the case on the Leben is a drawback for me. If the SQ-N10 turns out to no longer be available, I'll likely get another Cary SLI-80. Lots of tubes to look at there.

Here is the 6 Moons review of the SQ-N100, which is earlier edition without the iPod interface. He thinks the SQ-N100 is about as good as it gets for cans.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/luxman3/100.html
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 04-01-2016 at 08:47 PM.