AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 07-28-2019, 04:52 PM

You two are a bad influence 😉.

Any thoughts about a 300b preamp? I see bottlehead is running a special on theirs but otherwise I'd probably just get one of Dennis' pre. Reason why I'm asking is because it seems I could get some of the benefit you all are taking about by trying a different first stage tube in my current amp, which is the same output tube that he also uses on the pre. It seems by running the signal through essentially twice the same tube (pre and power amps) that all id be doing, besides adding gain of course, is adding more of the same coloration, even if it is neutral tube. Maybe I'm way off here?
Old 07-28-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pechelman View Post

Any thoughts about a 300b preamp? I see bottlehead is running a special on theirs but otherwise I'd probably just get one of Dennis' pre. Reason why I'm asking is because it seems I could get some of the benefit you all are taking about by trying a different first stage tube in my current amp, which is the same output tube that he also uses on the pre. It seems by running the signal through essentially twice the same tube (pre and power amps) that all id be doing, besides adding gain of course, is adding more of the same coloration, even if it is neutral tube. Maybe I'm way off here?
Hey Pechelman,
Best to go with a 6SN7 preamp because of tube cost. The good 300b's are all way more expensive than N7's. Never heard a 300B preamp but have heard plenty of 300B amps and you can equal or better the 300B at less $. For your amp if you don't already have EML solid plates that would also be a big boost in SQ. Good luck!
Old 07-28-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Any thoughts about a 300b preamp? I see bottlehead is running a special on theirs but otherwise I'd probably just get one of Dennis' pre. ..
I have no direct exp with testing 300b based preamps (in my own system) and likely never will due to the high cost of really good 300b tubes. 6SN7, 12AX7, 12AU7, 6922, 6DJ8, 12BZ7 is my limited scope on inputs. While the BH BeePre kit on sale is kinda cool, I'd opt for the Inspire pre if you already own an Inspire amp for synergy alone, and the fact its been tested and validated together. My .02 cents fwiw.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:21 PM

thanks for confirming my thoughts. The proven synergy of the inspire stuff is nice and the cost of 300b's, yea... Still like the idea of the beepree kit but for the cost, even with the discount, i can get the inspire pre.

Going to reach out to dennis here later.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:30 AM

[QUOTE=pechelman;974365]General question for those with fire bottle amps and relatively high output sources; am I missing anything by running my dac straight into an inspire 45?

Dennis built my amp (like some others) with a volume pot on the front.

I have a new to me Inspire PSE with a volume control and use an active preamp because, to me, it sounds better. I have never been satisfied w/o an active tube preamp. It's a personal thing. W/O an active premap music sounds more sterile to me. Clean but sterile. Not at all like you are there. My 2 cents.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:40 AM

[QUOTE=pechelman;974365]General question for those with fire bottle amps and relatively high output sources; am I missing anything by running my dac straight into an inspire 45?

Dennis built my amp (like some others) with a volume pot on the front.

I have a new to me Inspire PSE with a volume control and use an active preamp because, to me, it sounds better. I have never been satisfied w/o an active tube preamp. It's a personal thing. W/O an active premap music sounds more sterile to me. Clean but sterile. Not at all like you are there. You need to try one and decide for yourself. I bet you keep it in the system. My 2 cents.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:41 PM

Thanks for the input. Have a pre on order from Dennis

As I said, you all are a bad influence.

Now as far as rolling around tubes on these two amps; should I focus attention on finding a couple of 6SN7 options for the preamp, go after a couple of options for the 45's, look at different rectifying tubes for either, or what? Please don't say all of the above.

Guessing the pre 6SN7 pair would have the most bang for the buck right now then the 45 outputs?

Thanks everyone for being patient with my inexperienced questions.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:

Now as far as rolling around tubes on these two amps; should I focus attention on finding a couple of 6SN7 options for the preamp, go after a couple of options for the 45's, look at different rectifying tubes for either, or what? Please don't say all of the above.

Guessing the pre 6SN7 pair would have the most bang for the buck right now then the 45 outputs?

Try the preamp as-is from Dennis and play it for 30 days, burn it in really well, and then ask yourself if you can stop making changes for the sake of making changes. You very well might be pleasantly surprised and just listen to music. That's my .03 cents
Old 07-30-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:

You are on the right path getting a tube preamp. The tube rolling plan depends on which tube set your pre comes with. Vintage tubes will often be a huge upgrade over inexpensive new production bottles. Look for a pair of Raytheon or National Union 6SN7GT if you want to hear some of the best. Vintage 45 tubes can be significantly improved by replacing with EML 45’s, a little costly but well worth it.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:21 PM

Pechelman, congratulations on your new preamp. Did you get the model with the DACT? I am continuing to really enjoy mine with the Inspire universal. Even my non-audiophile wife likes it, not because of the red color either.

I agree with Decooney, you may forget all about upgrading etc. and just listen to the music. It sounded awesome to me when I first fired the 3.1 up and has been getting better and better as I burn it in.