AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Shooting Sports

Shooting Sports Guns & Ammo

Old 12-25-2012, 10:57 PM

Since the advent of NC machines there are a lots of great AR's. I've got a Rock River Arms "Operator Elite" with a Nikon 223 scope. I am pretty darn happy.

rockriverarms.com

Last edited by jdandy; 02-17-2013 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Active links to non-sponsers are against forum rules.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:26 AM

Default Final decision made

As the OP, I read and read and with many fine choices, ended up with a Colt LE6920 carbine manufactured by Colt Defense for law enforcement.

Here in Missouri, we had two Missouri House members (probably from St. Louis) that came up with a bill that would ban all assault-looking rifles and a bunch of other nonsense PLUS not grandfather the law giving previous owners 90 days to surrender their evil-looking guns and all magazines that held more than 10 rounds or face a Class C Felony. Luckily, that will never get out of committee but gives a look into how far real gun haters are willing to go.

MikeSp
MX150, MC501's (3), MC352's (2), Aerial Acoustics Model 9's for mains, Aerial Acoustics CC5 for center, and Def Tech surrounds, JL Audio F113's (2) with Sound Anchor Stands, 60 inch Pioneer Kuro, Tivos, Monster HTPS 7000MKII, Oppo BDP-83SE, PS3; dedicated HT still under construction [system used primarily for movies].
Old 02-17-2013, 07:07 AM

Just by chance I was looking at an extended youtube vid on the 15 and the chap said Colt were the only one's to use the correct grade(s) of metal on the various sections of the,er, upper bit with the bolt mech, and they checked every gun as well.

As I will check every prison cell in the country if I try to purchase one.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:40 AM
Rebellious!

I got a couple laying around..

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-1528327411.jpg (330.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg image-4268711761.jpg (221.8 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by o0OBillO0o; 02-17-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:57 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio times View Post
Just by chance I was looking at an extended youtube vid on the 15 and the chap said Colt were the only one's to use the correct grade(s) of metal on the various sections of the,er, upper bit with the bolt mech, and they checked every gun as well.

As I will check every prison cell in the country if I try to purchase one.
Total BS. He must work for Colt.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 02-17-2013, 10:03 AM

OK a little off topic but after seeing that stock picture this fits!

In the news this week, a Southern California man was put under 72-hour psychiatric observation when it was found he owned 100 guns and had (by rough estimate) 1 million rounds of ammunition stored in his home. The house also has a secret escape tunnel.

The television reporter said: "Wow! He has about a million machine gun bullets!" and the headline referred to it as a "massive weapons cache".

By California standards someone owning even 100,000 rounds would be called "mentally unstable".

If he lived elsewhere, such as Arizona, he'd be called "an avid gun collector. "

In Oklahoma, he'd be called "a novice gun collector".

In Utah, he'd be called "moderately well prepared", but they'd probably reserve judgment until they made sure that he had a corresponding quantity of stored food.

In Montana, he'd be called "the neighborhood 'Go-To' guy".

In Idaho, he'd be called "a likely gubernatorial candidate".

In Wyoming, he'd be called "an eligible bachelor".

and
In Texas, he'd be called "a Hunting Buddy".
Old 02-17-2013, 10:15 AM
Rebellious!

Not a stock photo, but

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 02-18-2013, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSp View Post
What is the best AR-15 out there -- my searches have turned up Colt and Daniel Defense very often. I am not after the cheapest but what is considered the very best. Wilson combat looks good as does Sig Sauer.

I wish I had never sold my Colt HBar with ACOG sight but seldom used it -- now suddenly I have the urge to purchase another AR-15 for some weird reason...

Opinions, thoughts?

MikeSp
Mine!
[B]Sources[/B] - McIntosh MCD1100, McIntosh MCD500, MVP891, McIntosh MS750, McIntosh MS300, McIntosh MR88, MacMini w/Peachtree Audio iDac
[B]Analog[/B] - VPI HRX w/Clearaudio Da Vinci Cartridge & Project 10.1 w/Blackbird Cartridge
[B]Reel to Reel[/B] - Teac X-2000R, Tascam 3030
[B]Power[/B] - McIntosh MPC1500
[B]Interconnects[/B] - All AudioQuest King Cobra
[B]Speakers[/B] - B&W 800D2's frt., B&W 802D's rear, B&W-HTM2 center, McIntosh XR200's, B&W CM9's, JL Audio F112
[B]Speaker Cables[/B] - AudioQuest Gibraltar
[B]Vintage[/B] - G.A.S. Ampzilla & Thaedra PreAmp [/SIZE]:D[/COLOR]
Old 02-18-2013, 06:47 AM

I have one made by LMT (Lewis Machine Tools?) configured as the CAR-15. It's lots of fun to shoot, and was reccomended to me by my gun dealer over the Colt version.

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:15 AM
Retired

Most of the ARs out there, regardless of the name stamped on them, are made by LMT (yes, Lewis Machine). The smaller shops simply cannot afford the equipment needed to forge an AR receiver (upper or lower). LMT does an excellent job.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag