AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Shooting Sports

Shooting Sports Guns & Ammo

Old 02-13-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randerson3024 View Post
I have several, and for money and performance, I don't thing anything is as good as a Ruger GP-100.
S&W model 686 - 7 shot - 6" barrel - forged frame vs cast - fit n finish - resale
Old 02-13-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC352 View Post
I have been wanting to get a revolver. Not sure why, just because I guess.

I would use it at the range. I wouldn't have to worry about concealing it, so barrel length, and caliber, is not an issue

I like the Rugers. I shot one about 6 years ago when I was on a hunt in Maine.

Any suggestions on different models?

Chuck for a best in clas at the range get a Dan Wesson 41 mag long 10" barrel. sweet little kick, very heavy built better than even my Ruge, and their guns are good, but the Dans are like a competion series and made extra heavy, more accurate and much fun to shoot.

a few $$s more though stay safe and enjoy
Old 02-13-2012, 11:20 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBill View Post
S&W model 686 - 7 shot - 6" barrel - forged frame vs cast - fit n finish - resale
Have a 586, which is a a 6-shot, 6" blued 686 that is tricked out for target shooting and just got a Ruger SP101. I always thought the same about S&W vs Ruger. But, the SP101 has changed my mind. It is every bit as nice as my S&Ws. Both are very much 'top shelf'.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 02-14-2012, 03:27 PM

The only revolver I have, and it was my first gun at age 18, is a Dan Wesson .357 with interchangeable barrels. I keep the 6" on it most of the time and my wife is better with it than I am.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:25 PM

Model 27 5 inch (Neat Gun)
Model 29 8 3/8 inch
Model 629 6 inch

Old 02-15-2012, 08:33 PM
That's a Deusy !

I have a buddy that hunts deer with a scoped Anaconda like Ivan's piece. He had it action tuned at the custom shop.
Marantz( UD8004,AV8802a ), Oppo udp 203 JLAudio Fathom F-110, B&W( 802 series III , FCMS8, SCMS8) . WireWorld Eclipse 6 xlr(7) Sliver Eclipse 5.2 HDMI (3) electra 5.2 powercords . HRS Nimbus , lg 55 Oled Nvidia Shield PS Audio PPP

System 2 Panasonic G25 Marantz av8003
Old 02-15-2012, 08:42 PM

I deer hunt with the 8 3/8 29. No scope. Not regularly, but have shot 3 with it.

They are easy to carry in a shoulder holster.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:56 PM

Cool

Yep the Dan is more $$$ but I shot at a PRO range for points, it is a best in class if you want that.

Also they will stand behind it.

It is in a complete diff leage than a smith or a ruger.

I am not knocking them, I am those too.

At least go check one out. You will love it with Packmyer grips.

NO link but you can look it up buddy
read on wiki

Company history
The company was founded in 1968 by Dan B. Wesson. Karl R. Lewis[3] invented the main features of Dan Wesson Revolvers. The company has seen lots of struggles and various changes in ownership[1] throughout its history.

After the purchase of Smith and Wesson by the Bangor-Punta manufacturing concern, Daniel B. Wesson set out to open his own manufacturing operation in order to produce high quality, American made revolvers for service as well as competition use. Wesson was aware of Karl Lewis's modular designs which had been proposed during Lewis's tenure with Browning, and then further refined during a period spent with High Standard. Having purchased a former school building in Monson, Massachusetts, Wesson signed a production agreement with Lewis, and began setting up the necessary machining and manufacturing equipment. Urging Lewis to prepare prototypes for display at major gun shows, Wesson began tirelessly promoting the company, while working to build a sales network as well as a positive perception of the fledgling company

Also a 44 is .429 and a 41 is .410/ Is was developed for the Chicago Police for stopping PCP users. They will STOP and it will knock a 200+ lb man off his feet with a 240 grain jacket hollow point or a wad cutter.

You can load them as hot as a rifle not like a hand gun. They are built better than a military unit and are match grade.

Also: more than one gun!

Innovation, and versatility have become the hallmark of the Dan Wesson company. I have, over the years, owned a number of these ground breaking revolvers. In an era in which the cutting edge of handgun development is assumed to be well centered within the realm of the automatic pistol, Dan Wesson saw a future in innovation of the revolver.
The most striking feature of the gun is the capability of changing barrel length, by the use of an ingenious system of interchangeable barrels and shrouds. While there are other unique qualities to the Dan Wesson series, the fame of the system rests on the barrels. Even so, many if not most, Dan Wesson owners stick to a single barrel length, and often can not even recall the location of the tool used to change the barrel. In many cases it is the great accuracy, and light trigger pull which attracts buyers. These are some of the most accurate handguns in the world, and may very well be the most accurate repeating handguns ever made. They have also been constructed with very light, very simple actions, and the interchangeable barrel feature, for which they are best known. It doesn't hurt that the guns are very handsome, since the redesign. There is an almost pythonesqe look to the ribbed, and underlugged barrel. The deep blue is almost black, and has a mirror finish.

Torturous history Karl R. Lewis is the actual inventor of the basic lock mechanism of these guns, and also came up with the unique barrel system. He is probably one of the great unsung geniuses of the firearms world, possibly the equal John M Browning (like Browning, he was self trained, having had no schooling in engineering, or firearms design), and easily the equal of Stoner, and Kalishnikov. He had initially offered the idea of an interchangeable barrel revolver to the Browning company, while he was busy designing the BLR for them, but they turned it down on the grounds that they did not wish to move into revolver production. Some years later, he showed his design to Daniel Wesson, with whom he entered into partnership in 1968. The first guns hit the market sometime in 1970. A small but interesting tribute to Karl Lewis, enumerating many of his innovative designs, is maintained by his son.

The meeting was fortuitous for both men. Dan Wesson was looking for a way out of the company his grandfather, Daniel B Wesson had cofounded, a century before. S&W had been bought in 1965 by Bangor Punta, a Brazilian concern, which would later divest itself of S&W, and it's Brazilian production facilities (which would later become Taurus). The new conglomerate was bottom line focused, and did not have the type of dedication to gun making for which Dan Wesson could have wished. So with Dan Wesson's famous name, and dedication to quality, and Karl Lewis' groundbreaking revolver design, the two men introduced the first new concept in revolvers in nearly a century.

Hope this helps you!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DW.jpg (177.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 02-16-2012, 03:11 PM
That's a Deusy !

How does the action compare with an Anaconda or Python? It looks like a nice .44
Marantz( UD8004,AV8802a ), Oppo udp 203 JLAudio Fathom F-110, B&W( 802 series III , FCMS8, SCMS8) . WireWorld Eclipse 6 xlr(7) Sliver Eclipse 5.2 HDMI (3) electra 5.2 powercords . HRS Nimbus , lg 55 Oled Nvidia Shield PS Audio PPP

System 2 Panasonic G25 Marantz av8003
Old 03-27-2012, 07:44 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loop4fun View Post
Model 27 5 inch (Neat Gun)
Model 29 8 3/8 inch
Model 629 6 inch
Nice. Especially like that pre-lock 629.

Will shoot my tricked-out S&W 586 in tomorrow evening's weekly bullseye league. I'm mostly a rifle/shotgun shooter/competitor, so will drop out if the line gets crowded and let the 'real' competitors shoot.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 04-03-2012 at 06:57 PM.