AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Pre-Amps & Amplifiers

Pre-Amps & Amplifiers All Brands Welcome

Old 02-18-2013, 12:45 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
You will not be disappointed with the c2300. I believe it is better sounding than the ls27. You have the ability to tweak the sound if need be, by the inbuilt eq or buy rolling tubes.

Enjoy
Some very preliminary research suggests that Tung-Sol tubes aren't great for phono because of noise. So I was thinking Mullards, and using the stock tubes for the MC stage since I won't use it. The last thing I want to think about is tube faliures, which can happen though not as a regular occurrence from what I gather (but I've heard of more than I want to), so having a supply on hand makes sense. I'm still not a tube person, despite having bought a tube preamp, and want to keep things simple, consistent, and inexpensive.

I will continue my research. Obviously.

ADDITION: I didn't mention this earlier, but I played the same tracks at home on Sunday that were used in the preamp evaluation, and the overall sound seemed dark by comparison to what I heard Saturday. Granted, that demo system was bright, but the difference was obvious. It reinforces my idea of having a more neutral-sounding tube for the 2300.

Last edited by prepress; 02-19-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:49 PM
Semi-audiophile

I see the 2500 is up on Mac's website. At the best opportunity I will do a comparison of specs to be sure I'm staying with the 2300. At a glance the 2500 has a better S/N ratio and consumes a bit less power (50W vs. 75W), but I have to see something significant to me in order to put out the extra money at this point.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:22 AM
Semi-audiophile

I downloaded the C2500 manual and did a side-by-side with the C2300 according to specs, and while I haven't gone through the entire manual, it seems as if there's nothing compelling to make me spend the extra for the 2500. Many of the specs are identical; there are some which favor the 2500 and one that favors the 2300 (the phono stage S/N ratio is better). I am running the specs by someone who works in electronics and audio/video for a living since I don't understand everything I read spec-wise (I think larger numbers are generally better), and unless he has something to say, I'm planning to have the C2300 shipped to me soon. And looks alone aren't enough of a reason to change, considering the price differential.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:44 AM
Rebellious!

Good run down.

The C2300 is proven. I have not heard it but the forum's out right praise would make me purchase it unheard/unseen.

It's all about perspective, do see change as good, do you think newer is better? Otherwise, the Classic design always wins.

Last edited by o0OBillO0o; 02-25-2013 at 10:37 AM. Reason: I can't spell.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:35 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o View Post
Good run down.

The C2300 is proven. I have not heard it but the forum's out right praise would make me purchase it unheard/unseen.

It's all about perspective, do see change as good, do you thing newer is better? Otherwise, the Classic design always wins.
I've heard it three times, in three different setups, and two of those were overly bright (to my ears) to the point of a headache; interestingly enough, those two bright setups included the MC601s. That was a bit puzzling. The one system where the sound wasn't bright was with a tube amp (MC275) and Revel speakers, which sound somewhat like my Mirage speakers. The bright systems had Adam Audio and Magnepans respectively.

My sense (and it's only that) is that in my setup the 2300 will sound about like what I get at home but perhaps more open. And because it's a classic, I doubt I'll want or need to go beyond it. I don't think my wallet will allow that, anyway.

And most of my initial objections to the 2300 have reduced to nothing. Not philosophically (I still don't like spending for tubes on the MC stage I won't use), but in real-world terms. I've overlooked most of that as my perspectives change and see the 2300 as a preamp that should satisfy for the long haul. If I get it set up at home and have a rude surprise that's another story, but I doubt that will happen.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:56 AM
McKlipschead

Get it and forget about it, no way you'll be disappointed with a C2300!

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 02-25-2013, 11:52 AM
Semi-audiophile

I have heard from the A/V guy I was waiting for. He, too, saw nothing compelling in the specs I sent him based upon his reply. So it's the 2300. I will call the store and have them ship it soon. I have a tentative system layout that will work for my room and circumstances, so now I need the friend who wants my Hooker TV console to help me out and come get the thing. A follow up with her is in order.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to figure out the tube thing...
Old 03-01-2013, 09:18 AM
Semi-audiophile

The die is increasingly cast, as I've received the 12" pillars to use in modifying my Sanus Euro EFAV rack to give the 2300 more breathing room (and perhaps see the tube glow), should I decide to do it. I have also contacted vintage_tube (Bob) about purchasing 4 Gold Lions, 2 each for the line and MM stages.

But the thought occurs that perhaps I should use the GLs in the line stage and run my Aragon 47k phono preamp. It's entirely possible the 2300's on-board phono is as good or better, but I have enough shelves with my Euro EFAB racks to accommodate the extra piece. Besides, if I take out shelves I could then have a storage issue, as I don't necessarily have anywhere to keep the unused shelves. The Parasound JC3 crosses my mind, too. Uh oh. Especially in black.

Do many here who use GLs use them in the phono section, and how are they there? I'd read elsewhere that GLs may have a bit of noise, at least on the MC side. Perhaps the MM side is less vulnerable.

UPDATE: I called the store and asked them to ship the C2300 on Thursday, which should get it here Friday/Monday. I'm not ready for it and it will be in the way, but I decided not to wait amy more. On the other hand it will give me a chance to get new tubes into it before it gets racked, plus help force the issue of getting things organized regarding room setup.

Last edited by prepress; 03-03-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:43 PM
Semi-audiophile

Okay, the Thursday delivery didn't happen. I called to postpone it. The friend who wants the Hooker cabinet couldn't make it in a friendly time frame. So, the dealer still has it awaiting my call. The hope now is one of the next two Saturdays. Meantime, I'm planning to move on and call the Salvation Army or 1-800-GOT-JUNK to take it away if she doesn't come get it by month's end.

I've also moved from thumbnail potential system layouts to scaled ones. For the heck of it I've attached three. The C2300 is a tight fit width-wise, but it fits. If, after living with it for a while I don't go for it, there's still the Salamander Synergy.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf system 1.pdf (74.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: pdf system 2.pdf (73.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: pdf system 3.pdf (74.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-15-2013, 06:04 PM
Semi-audiophile

I've read where some wear gloves when they handle tubes. Is there a particular type of glove that should be used when installing tubes? Or does it not matter, as long as they're white?

I bought a Tube Cube and 6 JJ ECC803s 12AX7s from the Tube Depot. I have them here and they're quite...tiny. They always look bigger in photos. I've also called the audio store (Lyric Hi-fi) and asked them to ship the C2300, even though I'm not ready for it, technically. I didn't really want it to sit there much longer. I'm also planning to give a hard deadline to the person who wants my Hooker console, probably the end of the month.