AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

View Poll Results: Which would be your choice?
Accuphase E450 + Transparent reference XL speaker cables 5 16.13%
Accuphase E560 + Transparent ultra speaker cables 6 19.35%
These are no good options for me. I would try something different 20 64.52%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2013, 02:40 PM

Question Which would be your choice?

f you have these options to use with your wilson audio sasha speakers to set a new stereo system, which would be your choice:
  • Accuphase E450 + Transparent reference XL speaker cables
  • Accuphase E560 + Transparent ultra speaker cables
  • These are no good options for me. I would try something different.
Thank you for sharing your opinion,

Renato
Old 07-16-2013, 07:53 PM

Hi Renato:

I don't have first hand experience with either of those integrateds however, I do with the Accuphase class A amplifiers and Sashas.

I was running a single A-20v (20w class A) with no problems. The Sashas are nicely efficient, so that was plenty of power. Actually, that amplifier was more like 50w into 8 ohms at clipping (see power graphs published by Accuphase). My current Accuphase amplifier, an A-50v, is more than enough for my system.

Having said that, I think either of those two would be a great match. I think the Accuphase and Wilson work wonderfully together. I'd probably go with the E-560 integrated.

No opinion on those cables, but I'd go with the amplifier you like the best first.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:52 PM

Thank you for your post, Brian. It was very helpful. In August, I will have opportunities to upgrade my integrated (Accuphase e-450) or my speaker cables (transparent Ultra). I will not have enough money to upgrade both at the same time. So, your post and the others will help me to decide which will be the best thing to do. I was afraid of the e-560 could not drive my Sashas. However, now I'm more excited in having this integrated in my system.

Best regards,

Renato

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa_chan View Post
Hi Renato:

I don't have first hand experience with either of those integrateds however, I do with the Accuphase class A amplifiers and Sashas.

I was running a single A-20v (20w class A) with no problems. The Sashas are nicely efficient, so that was plenty of power. Actually, that amplifier was more like 50w into 8 ohms at clipping (see power graphs published by Accuphase). My current Accuphase amplifier, an A-50v, is more than enough for my system.

Having said that, I think either of those two would be a great match. I think the Accuphase and Wilson work wonderfully together. I'd probably go with the E-560 integrated.

No opinion on those cables, but I'd go with the amplifier you like the best first.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:07 AM
Bodhisattva

If I was choosing an Accuphase integrated I would (personally) go for the E-460, or E-560 if I had high sensitivity speakers (eg: Living Voice). But I can't resist mentioning some other integrated amps you should also consider;

- Modwright KWI-200
- Hegel H300
- Boulder 865 (can be had at bargain prices 2nd hand)
- Vitus RI-100
- Ayre AX-5
- Unison Research Unico Secondo
- Nad M3

Or if you're looking at the cream of the crop...

- Goldmund Telos 390.5
- Vitus SIA-025
- Gryphon Diablo
- Dartzeel CTH-8550
- Burmester 032
- Viva Solista
Old 07-17-2013, 08:09 AM

Thank you for your opinion, Bodhisattva. I was considering e-560 because it was offered to me a very good deal (I would give my e-450 and an amount of money and I would get a new e-560). This deal is only for this model (e-560), not for other integrated of other brands. However, I will have a look in these models you mentioned. My goal with this Thread is to evaluate all possibilites.

Best Regards,

Renato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
If I was choosing an Accuphase integrated I would (personally) go for the E-460, or E-560 if I had high sensitivity speakers (eg: Living Voice). But I can't resist mentioning some other integrated amps you should also consider;

- Modwright KWI-200
- Hegel H300
- Boulder 865 (can be had at bargain prices 2nd hand)
- Vitus RI-100
- Ayre AX-5
- Unison Research Unico Secondo
- Nad M3

Or if you're looking at the cream of the crop...

- Goldmund Telos 390.5
- Vitus SIA-025
- Gryphon Diablo
- Dartzeel CTH-8550
- Burmester 032
- Viva Solista
Old 07-17-2013, 01:24 PM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by renabot77 View Post
Thank you for your opinion, Bodhisattva. I was considering e-560 because it was offered to me a very good deal (I would give my e-450 and an amount of money and I would get a new e-560). This deal is only for this model (e-560), not for other integrated of other brands. However, I will have a look in these models you mentioned. My goal with this Thread is to evaluate all possibilites.

Best Regards,

Renato
The E-560 is a very nice integrated, and certainly better than the E-450. The E-560 has a newer topology & operates in pure class a. I was probably being a bit unkind suggesting it is best suited to high sensitivity speakers as it should be able to handle a moderate load as suggested by its damping factor.

Of the other options I mentioned, the Boulder, Vitus, Ayre & Hegel would be top of my list.

Cheers,
Old 07-17-2013, 02:04 PM

Which sensitivity do you think would be good for e-560?

Best regards,

Renato
Old 07-17-2013, 02:27 PM
Bodhisattva

Renato, I would think the E-560 should be able to drive any floorstander from about 88db/8 ohm. I recently auditioned the Magico S5's with a Dartzeel CTH-8550 integrated. The S5's measure at 88db/4 ohm & I thought they were subjectively a bit underpowered with the Dart. Bare in mind though a 4 ohm load is a tougher load than 8ohm. Certainly a 89db/4 ohm load or above would be a good fit.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:40 PM

Thank you very much, David. It was very helpful to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Renato, I would think the E-560 should be able to drive any floorstander from about 88db/8 ohm. I recently auditioned the Magico S5's with a Dartzeel CTH-8550 integrated. The S5's measure at 88db/4 ohm & I thought they were subjectively a bit underpowered with the Dart. Bare in mind though a 4 ohm load is a tougher load than 8ohm. Certainly a 89db/4 ohm load or above would be a good fit.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:47 AM

Hi Renabot,

Driving my Magico V3 (86dB, 4 Ohm) with an E-560 with (in my ears) excellent results. Very refined highs, mids and low frequencies fast and under control. The E-460 will be a little less refined with a bit more slam. (but not a world of difference, E-460 will run a lot cooler though and more energie efficient)

I think the integrated's from Accuphase are in the top available at the moment,
Build quality is examplary, very reliable and hold their value well (better then other brands)

In the end, don't pay too much value in what is written in forums, everyone will support what they have bought themselves, therefore try to audition both amplifiers and form your own conclusion.

enjoy,

Olaf