AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music > Classical Music Discussion

Classical Music Discussion Across the Ages

Old 02-17-2013, 06:21 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josquin des Prez View Post
I just bought this early today as a 24/192 download from Channel Classics. I really like what I hear so far. My other versions of the Titan are Solti/CSO on Decca (vinyl) and the Kubelik/Bavarian Radio SO on DG (vinyl).
It is an excellent performance. Fischer and Channel Classics have become something of a benchmark for what is possible, though I don't know if they've yet replicated the stunner they had with their Mahler 2.

Here, I felt the effort was rather too controlled, as the playing sounded more concerned with a certain evenness of performance and mistake avoidance. The first movement seemed lacking in overall vivacity as the tempo and dynamic contrasts were held tightly in check. (Even the cuckoo-ing clarinet sound more like the Emperor's mechanical nightingale on cough syrup, without the woody lit-from-within tone of which the instrument is capable with this part.) Then the climax at first movement's end sounded a bit rushed. Maybe I'm being too harsh; it is a thoughtful performance with an internal logic. The final movement is excellent. I just kept wanting Ivan to open things up a bit more early on and let the music breath. Nonetheless, definitely worth adding to a Mahler collection. Overall, the SACD sonics were top notch -what we've come to expect from this group.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:24 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
It is an excellent performance. Fischer and Channel Classics have become something of a benchmark for what is possible, though I don't know if they've yet replicated the stunner they had with their Mahler 2.

Here, I felt the effort was rather too controlled, as the playing sounded more concerned with a certain evenness of performance and mistake avoidance. The first movement seemed lacking in overall vivacity as the tempo and dynamic contrasts were held tightly in check. (Even the cuckoo-ing clarinet sound more like the Emperor's mechanical nightingale on cough syrup, without the woody lit-from-within tone of which the instrument is capable with this part.) Then the climax at first movement's end sounded a bit rushed. Maybe I'm being too harsh; it is a thoughtful performance with an internal logic. The final movement is excellent. I just kept wanting Ivan to open things up a bit more early on and let the music breath. Nonetheless, definitely worth adding to a Mahler collection. Overall, the SACD sonics were top notch -what we've come to expect from this group.
I very much liked the performance of No. 1, although I think the Solti is better to my taste.

I'm listening to Fischer's No. 2 now and it is quite good so far. Will have to compare to Solti/LSO as well.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:24 PM

I grew up listening to Solti, then Karajan, finally, Sinopoli. Overall, I prefer Sinopoli.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:47 PM

I grew up listening to Bernstein, then Kubelik, then Sinopoli, then Zander and MTT and, finally, Abbado. Overall, I prefer Abbado.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:31 AM

Among SACD recordings, I enjoy Zander and a few of Gergiev's--the 6th (the first movement is too fast, though), 8th, and 9th. For whatever reason, his 5th is very flat and stale. Fischer's 1st and 2nd are wonderful, too.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:13 PM

Try Abbado on BD.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:20 AM

well, as my system is coming together (dynaudio focus 160s, jolida fx tube dac, naim nait 5i and an oppo 103(primarily a cd transport)), iand now I have been finding myself getting more and more into classical music. I recently picked up the Mahlers 5th by Michael Tilson Thomas and the SFSO. I was buying on SACD, that will be downmixed to 2-ch pcm output via optical to my dac.

I really have no idea of what Im doing when it comes to buying classical. I did notice that I really enjoyed the Symphony Hall channel on satelite radio. There i heard a version of Mahlers 5th, and loved it. So I bought this version, mostly because it seemed that they conductor and orchestra have done all of Mahlers works, so Im hoping they have a good interpretation of them. Does anyone know how this work compares to some of the better ones or worse ones out there?

My next purchase I was thinking of going this route, because I wanted to see how it compared to the other.
http://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Symphon...ds=mahler+sacd

Any advise on classical in general would be awesome.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:35 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
well, as my system is coming together (dynaudio focus 160s, jolida fx tube dac, naim nait 5i and an oppo 103(primarily a cd transport)), iand now I have been finding myself getting more and more into classical music. I recently picked up the Mahlers 5th by Michael Tilson Thomas and the SFSO. I was buying on SACD, that will be downmixed to 2-ch pcm output via optical to my dac.

I really have no idea of what Im doing when it comes to buying classical. I did notice that I really enjoyed the Symphony Hall channel on satelite radio. There i heard a version of Mahlers 5th, and loved it. So I bought this version, mostly because it seemed that they conductor and orchestra have done all of Mahlers works, so Im hoping they have a good interpretation of them. Does anyone know how this work compares to some of the better ones or worse ones out there?

My next purchase I was thinking of going this route, because I wanted to see how it compared to the other.
Amazon.com: Mahler: Symphony No. 6 [Hybrid SACD]: Gustav Mahler, Recorded Sound, Claudio Abbado, Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra: Music

Any advise on classical in general would be awesome.
Welcome callas01. The MTT/SFSO series is generally quite well received, so you're at a good place if you pursue further Mahler symphonies in that series. That may imprint on you as a baseline for gauging other conductors and orchestras. The first post in this thread lists a few other Mahler collections.

When you buy a ticket to MahlerWorld, you can ride all day for the rest of your life. Some folks find an interest with one symphony then start exploring the others in the order Mahler wrote them. But there is no right or wrong way to go. The 1st Symphony is the easiest entre to Mahler, a must hear in my opinion. Mahler's 2nd is one his most popular; there, the Channel Classics SACD w/ Ivan Fischer has been very well received.

While this is foremost a Mahler thread, I'll touch on your general question about classical music. If you like what you hear from Mahler, you might branch out to other works and composers from his general era. I have a very strong preference for Sibelius. You might enjoy his 2nd Symphony. If you prefer melodic easily digested large scale orchestral music, Tchaikovsky was late 19thC, and is quite accessible; you might enjoy his 4th Symphony. In a more modern direction, consider Stravinsky and his music from the Firebird ballet, surely an example of rhythmic genius. Back in time, there's no reason not to jump directly to Beethoven; I'd recommend his 6th Symphony. And on it goes. For me personally, even if I don't care for a work the first time around, I'll replay it several times to learn more and let it grow on me (if it will.) Happily there is lots to explore and the potential for a lifetime of enjoyment. Feel free to follow-up; with luck you'll hear from others.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:36 AM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post

While this is foremost a Mahler thread, I'll touch on your general question about classical music. If you like what you hear from Mahler, you might branch out to other works and composers from his general era. I have a very strong preference for Sibelius. You might enjoy his 2nd Symphony. If you prefer melodic easily digested large scale orchestral music, Tchaikovsky was late 19thC, and is quite accessible; you might enjoy his 4th Symphony. In a more modern direction, consider Stravinsky and his music from the Firebird ballet, surely an example of rhythmic genius. Back in time, there's no reason not to jump directly to Beethoven; I'd recommend his 6th Symphony. And on it goes. For me personally, even if I don't care for a work the first time around, I'll replay it several times to learn more and let it grow on me (if it will.) Happily there is lots to explore and the potential for a lifetime of enjoyment. Feel free to follow-up; with luck you'll hear from others.
+1 on the suggestions for Sibelius 2, Tchaikovsky 4, Beethoven 6.

I would add Brahms 1, Dvorak 9, Bruckner 4, Mozart 40 & 41, Haydn (any or all of the "London" symphonies), Stravinsky Symphony in Three Movements & Symphony in C.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
I recently picked up the Mahlers 5th by Michael Tilson Thomas and the SFSO. I was buying on SACD, that will be downmixed to 2-ch pcm output via optical to my dac.
Don't do a mix-down. Play the 2channel track if you do not have a multichannel system.

Quote:
There i heard a version of Mahlers 5th, and loved it. So I bought this version, mostly because it seemed that they conductor and orchestra have done all of Mahlers works, so Im hoping they have a good interpretation of them. Does anyone know how this work compares to some of the better ones or worse ones out there?
Good choice. I prefer some others but that should not be of concern to you.

Quote:
Amazon.com: Mahler: Symphony No. 6 [Hybrid SACD]: Gustav Mahler, Recorded Sound, Claudio Abbado, Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra: Music
Another excellent recording but how/why do you want to compare it to the 5th?