AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 08-09-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiot servant View Post
The Calyx DAC I am using is the first digital I have had here that has managed to take me regularly to my musical happy place.

It's nature is similar to the better Weiss dacs, no grain, glare or exaggerated edge, plenty of detail still, rhythmic structure, good flesh and most of all engaging musicality... this is the first digital that I have had that has let me forget it is 1's and 0's...

It reportedly also benefits from an improved 5 volt power supply (Kingrex) and I am also planning supporting it even further with either a Mr T or Purepower.

Have also heard real good things about the Playback by Designs if you have a few more $$$$

cheers
Graham

Main Music:Pure Music>Wireworld silver starlight USB>Mac Air with 256GB SSD>Wireworld silver eclipse 6 ICs >Calyx DAC>Shindo Aurieges L>Sanders Magtech>Wireworld Silver Eclipse 6 SC>Magnepan 3.7
Head Music: Audeze LCD2 and AKG 702>Violectric V200 headphone amp
Also: Meridian>Straightwire and Kimber ICs>Peachtree Nova>Quicksilver GE 8417 monos>biwired Kimber 8tc>Proac Response 2
Look into Red Wine Audio's Black Lightning external battery power, it'll take your Calyx DAC up a notch or two.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:24 PM

Have you looked into the Naim products. I use the HDX/DAC/555PS to serve up digital and love it. The HDX can read files off your computer shares and be controlled by the sweet ipad ap...and allows you to easily rip any new CDs. If you were only interested in playing from your computer...using another control method...the DAC/555PS would suffice. There are several options out there for playing files off your computer...from standalone USB DACs to network players to music servers...I feel that Naim and Linn are two of the better options out there...and I prefer the Naim. But the options are endless...enjoy the search.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:49 PM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
Adding a Shindo Arome may improve digital further.
Hi Tommy,

Yep, Shindo makes the Arome CD matching transformer. It sits between the analog output of a digital source and the input of a preamp. I find it reduces ultra-sonic edginess some digital sources contain. It's use brings about a subtle smoothness/naturalness to the music, while simultaneously becoming more robust and weighty sounding. Much like analog. Here's a quick photo of mine..

-Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MAT_0502.jpg (30.2 KB, 112 views)
Old 08-10-2011, 12:26 AM

Tommyc - will add the Black Lightning battery supply to my shortlist to check out...

Matt - welcome also... love the photography on your site - adds a unique dimension to your blogs... the installation travelogues are also bit of an inspired personal touch... really enjoyed the whole trip... great stuff.

cheers Cyril... great links below... this is such a well subscribed forum... so lively and well informed.
Graham

Main Music:Pure Music>Wireworld silver starlight USB>Mac Air with 256GB SSD>Wireworld silver eclipse 6 ICs >Calyx DAC>Shindo Aurieges L>Sanders Magtech>Wireworld Silver Eclipse 6 SC>Magnepan 3.7
Head Music: Audeze LCD2 and AKG 702>Violectric V200 headphone amp
Also: Meridian>Straightwire and Kimber ICs>Peachtree Nova>Quicksilver GE 8417 monos>biwired Kimber 8tc>Proac Response 2

Last edited by audiot servant; 08-10-2011 at 12:58 AM. Reason: addition
Old 08-10-2011, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Look into Red Wine Audio's Black Lightning external battery power, it'll take your Calyx DAC up a notch or two.
Here are reviews of the Black Lightning external battery power supply:

1) Jeff at Tone Audio reviewed it here: Red Wine Audio Black Lightning DC Power Supply – Reviews | TONEAudio MAGAZINE

2) Srajan Ebaen at 6Moons.com reviewed it here: 6moons audio reviews: Red Wine Audio 18V Black Lightning

Hope that helps. I may look into getting one for my Nagra BPS phono preamp based on Jeff's recommendation.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchperfect View Post
Hi Tommy,

Yep, Shindo makes the Arome CD matching transformer. It sits between the analog output of a digital source and the input of a preamp. I find it reduces ultra-sonic edginess some digital sources contain. It's use brings about a subtle smoothness/naturalness to the music, while simultaneously becoming more robust and weighty sounding. Much like analog. Here's a quick photo of mine..

-Matt
Thanks for the photo Matt. Do you know why the Arome has balanced in, but single ended out? Just curious here.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Tommyc - will add the Black Lightning battery supply to my shortlist to check out...
You bet. Good luck with the research.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:08 AM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Thanks for the photo Matt. Do you know why the Arome has balanced in, but single ended out? Just curious here.
Good eye, yeah, XLR input (you can use an RCA/XLR cable) and a output is sent through RCA's. I believe it's way Shindo has to couple to the internal transformer. Traditionally, the design for the Arome was used in conjunction with ReVoX cd players (the model escapes me at the moment) which is what Shindo uses in his lab.. and I believe they have XLR output, being pro machines.

-M
Old 08-10-2011, 01:59 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:

Have also heard real good things about the Playback by Designs if you have a few more $$$$

cheers
Graham
I've heard the Playback Designs combo DAC/CD player on three separate occasions and it's phenomenal. Expensive, but really good. Also supports playback up to 384 Khz! I'd get one if I had the moolah.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:58 AM

Good stuff...

Cellindo...I've had the Ayre QB-9 and thought it to be very clinical and dry...i was running it in an all Ayre system though so it may have just been too much of a "good" thing.

Matt...I assume I'd need to use RCA > XLR convertors to use the Arome with my Transporter?

I'm really intrigued by the Metrum Octave...it got a great review by 6moons and i like the concept. I'm also interested in seeing what's next from the Schiit guys...Mike Moffat is the father of DACs so I'm inclined to believe their upcoming gear will be something special. Sounds like i'm definitely interested in the NOS (non over sampling) gear.

Btw...been listening to my new Shindo setup since 8pm....it's now midnight!!!

my wife is feeling a little ick tonight so have been listening at relatively low levels for most of it...but wow...just wow...i'm hearing music and not just sound.

I don't even have good IC's and i'm using the Transporter's DAC!! God i can't wait till i fully build this out...plenty of power for my Cremona's...at full gain on the amp, i'm maybe 20% open on the preamp for mid level volume.

Still a new experience and i'm still cycling through music like i just got my hearing back so will give more details later in a new post.