AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 01-02-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
Hello Priaptor,

comparing the sound quality and build quality of Burmester with Audio Research is no chance. With all respect for Audio Research but It seems a toy compared with a german tank alike Burmester that surely is in a superior planet in all regards and I talk because I know very well the sound of both brands. Recently in Hong Kong I listened for two days (each listening session for about 6 hours) Wilson Audio Alexandria XLF drived by Audio Research 250 monos, reference audio research preamp, digital source msb analoque and transparent cable. I've still pain in my ears due to unbalanced sound; all the energy was concentrated in the mid-high spectrum range with uncontrolled bass frequency region; the timbre was colored and not natural. Being I listened in other occasions the XLF's with other power amps (D'Agostino monos, Constellation and Boulder) the sound was really impressive even I prefer other speakers.
The sound of Audio Research 75 is musically much better than 250's. IMHO.
Rocco,

I always evaluate the veracity of one's claims by first understanding what they own.

So do you own a system and what is it?
Old 01-02-2015, 10:45 AM

Priaptor,

why you talk about the veracity in a blog of audiophiles if we don't know each other? I just reported my impression in a system with speakers that I listened many times with different set-up and I concluded what I said about the driving of XLF's with 250's, as you did and I didn't say to you that yours are not true. My system configuration is not so important because first you can't see it and than can't change to your thinking and very disappointed approaching. Just you remember to me a person that measure a quality of a man according his cloth's value without know him. Sorry but I'm really disappointed.

Last edited by Rocco; 01-02-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number95 View Post
I also auditoned all Gryphon gear including Mephisto stereo amp with Magico M5 recently right after Constellation. Sorry but it is not for me. If (a big if) I ever intend to switch to SS amps I better go with Constellation without a doubt between those two. But I would never call any of these serious brand amps as unbalanced, unnatural etc rather different in terms of defining musical preferences. When I read your ambitious comments, either you are biased against the brand under this topic or you have not seriously auditoned a serious ARC setup. I hope you share your current audio setup with us to get better understanding of your high standards as you call ARC as a toy.
I'm not against any brand. I just reported my impressions and as I said before I like very much the musicality of AR 75's and also same AR preamps.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
Priaptor,

why you talk about the veracity in a blog of audiophiles if we don't know each other? I just reported my impression in a system with speakers that I listened many times with different set-up and I concluded what I said about the driving of XLF's with 250's, as you did and I didn't say to you that yours are not true. My system configuration is not so important because first you can't see it and than can't change to your thinking and very disappointed approaching. Just you remember to me a person that measure a quality of a man according his cloth's value without know him. Sorry but I'm really disappointed.
Impressions in uncontrolled environments (uncontrolled by the listeners) with an inordinate number of different variables, IMHO, I pretty much disregard. Also, since so many on these forums have a desire to justify their own purchases, bias often enters into one's opinion.

AND to cut to the chase, when I read comments from people who make absolute statements like you as though it is "fact" and outside the environment of one's listening environment, I truly question their veracity and given YOUR pointed comments that I list below, I truly question your statements.

"It seems a toy compared with a german tank alike Burmester that surely is in a superior planet in all regards"

"I know very well the sound of both brands"

"I've still pain in my ears due to unbalanced sound; all the energy was concentrated in the mid-high spectrum range with uncontrolled bass frequency region; the timbre was colored and not natural"

GIMME A BREAK is all I can say.

Last edited by Priaptor; 01-02-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:08 PM

I agree, it is basically ridiculous to suggest a high end system featuring Wilson XLF's driven by ARC Ref250's would be "unbalanced" or cause "pain in ears".

Even if it was set up wrong, I doubt you'd have pain in your ears. You're talking about hundreds of thousands of dollars in equipment. It can't be that bad!