AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Dynaudio Speakers

Dynaudio Speakers Authentic Fidelity

Old 09-24-2013, 12:09 AM
Cool, calm scientist

This point of run-in applies to other components as well. As a professional scientist and quality professional (Six Sigma Black Belt), it's interesting to me that not many audio reviewers are what I would classify as "good scientists". By that I mean, the often don't follow the protocol provided by the manufacturer, and often come to erroneous and inaccurate conclusions based on a flawed "data set".

Case in point, the reviewer at Audiostream recently reviewed two DACs that I have owned or presently own. In both cases, these DACs both required a good solid 300-400 hours of running in to actually hear that they were truly capable of. And in both cases, both DACs probably got 30-40 hours of use during the review...and therefore, a review that IMO, was completely inaccurate. The point being here that there is no point in doing a review that is inaccurate, so either you have to keep the component long enough to fully run in, OR you have to source review components that are already run in. Otherwise, you're doing everyone a disservice.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:11 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by harri009 View Post
They were used, while this does not guarantee that they had 300 hours on them they had been used. The main thing i didn't like about them was the dark character of Dynaudio. The reason they didn't sound like i had remembered was because I had build up Dynaudio in my mind for years and once I had the opportunity to own for the right price I jumped on them, only to realize I had already surpassed . IMHO
When I bought my Contour S3.4, at first I was disappointed and concerned because they sounded dark, exactly as you describe, compared to my Audience 72s. They sounded dark for the first 2-3 weeks, and I had to play them extensively for 2-3 weeks several hours a day for them to re-run in...what I found really helped was playing very dynamic full orchestral music. If they sit for any length of time unused, they do need a period of re-breaking them in, and even if you listen to them daily, Dynaudio says they need 30 mins of warm up time.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 09-24-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
This point of run-in applies to other components as well. As a professional scientist and quality professional (Six Sigma Black Belt), it's interesting to me that not many audio reviewers are what I would classify as "good scientists". By that I mean, the often don't follow the protocol provided by the manufacturer, and often come to erroneous and inaccurate conclusions based on a flawed "data set". Case in point, the reviewer at Audiostream recently reviewed two DACs that I have owned or presently own. In both cases, these DACs both required a good solid 300-400 hours of running in to actually hear that they were truly capable of. And in both cases, both DACs probably got 30-40 hours of use during the review...and therefore, a review that IMO, was completely inaccurate. The point being here that there is no point in doing a review that is inaccurate, so either you have to keep the component long enough to fully run in, OR you have to source review components that are already run in. Otherwise, you're doing everyone a disservice.
I see you are taking this personal, you shouldn't. If Dynaudio were everyone's flavor why would Wilson, MBL, JBL, Avalon, Magnepan..... exist. Maybe the middle of the range Dynaudio is perhaps not the best sounding speaker in the world, or everyone's flavor is different which is why I said I didn't enjoy them, my taste had changed. I was simply answering the OP's question of what do you think about the S1.4's, well my answer stands. I liked them until I became more familiar with IMHO better sound.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordemsworth View Post
I'm considering a pair of Dynaudio S1.4s. Any thoughts? Would this be considered a step down? I know that Audio is a funny place. What something costs is not reflective of capability. Last point - does anyone know if they will be updated this year? I haven't been able to find anything from anywhere. Thoughts appreciated. Sincerely, Lord Emsworth, Blandings Castle
You could also buy a used pair to try them for yourself in your own home, they can be found for $1800 w/stands +/-$300. If you don't like them you can generally sell quickly. Good luck on your search.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:09 AM

I'm going to give them a go and see what happens.

My wife was very unhappy when I told her I was going to pack up the Sonus Faber. And she followed it up with, 'Clean your ears before you listen.'.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:16 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by harri009 View Post
I see you are taking this personal, you shouldn't. If Dynaudio were everyone's flavor why would Wilson, MBL, JBL, Avalon, Magnepan..... exist. Maybe the middle of the range Dynaudio is perhaps not the best sounding speaker in the world, or everyone's flavor is different which is why I said I didn't enjoy them, my taste had changed. I was simply answering the OP's question of what do you think about the S1.4's, well my answer stands. I liked them until I became more familiar with IMHO better sound.
Nah, I'm not taking it personally, actually, though I apologize if it seems that way from my comments. To each their own when it comes to their choices for components or transducers. Everyone has different sensibilities, needs and requirements, which is why it's great there are many choices. Personally, I think speakers are like motorcycles, different ones work for different people for different reasons, and I'm not one to judge. What does bother me, though, are reviewers who are not disciplined and thorough in their analysis so that folks can make informed decisions.

While I personally own and like Dyns for meeting my personal requirements, I'm not a "Dyn fan-boy"...there are lots of others speakers I really like including Maggies, Quads, Avalon, Harbeth, Evolution Acoustics, TAD and the smaller YG Acoustics (e.g. the Carmel). I also like the new Sony speakers, the SS-AR1, -AR2 and NA-2ES; they're wonderful and very musical.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 09-24-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I'm going to give them a go and see what happens. My wife was very unhappy when I told her I was going to pack up the Sonus Faber. And she followed it up with, 'Clean your ears before you listen.'.
That's funny, I had to read my wife that one.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:31 PM

Yeah, my wife can be funny that way.

Yet, whenever I put on Madeleine Peyroux's 'Careless Love', her voice would become crackly.

I couldn't believe it.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Yeah, my wife can be funny that way. Yet, whenever I put on Madeleine Peyroux's 'Careless Love', her voice would become crackly. I couldn't believe it.
My wife has been telling me lately she wants the system to be stable for a while, no more buying and selling. I hadn't heard Peyroux before
Old 09-24-2013, 05:02 PM

Yeah - it took months to plant the seed that allowed the Sonus Faber into the home. I hate eating crow.

The really cool thing was having my mother-in-law over one night and she said, 'Music is definitely better on a dedicated system.'

I was astounded - I didn't think she paid attention to where the music was coming from.

I'm going to give the S1.4s a good long (over 300 hours) shot and see what happens.

At some level, it pains me to go to a speaker in a lower tier than the Cremona Auditors - though they S1.4s may not be, they are priced that way.