AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 06-12-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyljh View Post
Not just sheets of plywood, a plywood rack. One sheet of ply becomes a spring board of sorts. A properly constructed and tuned rack.

Pronan- I am a distributor, Tone Imports. I'm sorry you misinterpreted my post.

Jonathan
Jonathan,

I do not use simple sheets of plywood.
I use Pro Audio Bono platforms :

Old 06-12-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
Jonathan,

Those are very nice!
Old 06-12-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev313

Those are very nice!
Thanks ! Nothing compared to the sound.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:45 PM

Best use of throw cushions I ever saw!
Old 06-12-2013, 06:41 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
Jonathan,

Great setup Jerome. It's like having a French audio-twin ... even in the use of pillows :-). I spent a lot of time creating specialized absorbing pillows to put in my dedicated listening room. They are 24"x24", inner layer is some very heavy and dense wool, mid layer is a thick felt-cloth, outer layer acoustic foam (you know, the one used in recording studios with little pyramids) all covered with some fashionable wife-approved pillow covers.

This way, I could put them at critical reflection points without making my room look like a recording studio.

In homage to Jefferson Starship, I called them "Alberto's Surrealistic Audio Pillows" :-).

Alberto
Old 06-12-2013, 09:19 PM

Talking

[QUOTE=Alberto;501736]Great setup Jerome. It's like having a French audio-twin ... even in the use of pillows :-). I spent a lot of time creating specialized absorbing pillows to put in my dedicated listening room. They are 24"x24", inner layer is some very heavy and dense wool, mid layer is a thick felt-cloth, outer layer acoustic foam (you know, the one used in recording studios with little pyramids) all covered with some fashionable wife-approved pillow covers.

This way, I could put them at critical reflection points without making my room look like a recording studio.

In homage to Jefferson Starship, I called them "Alberto's Surrealistic Audio Pillows" :-).

Alberto[/Q

Alberto jefferson airplane not Jefferson Starship
Old 06-12-2013, 09:39 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shindoadict View Post
Alberto jefferson airplane not Jefferson Starship
I know, I know. Oh the shame. And to think that in my mind I told myself not to make the mistake as I wrote it.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:48 AM

Thanks Alberto.

Wow ! I'm impressed. You made your own ones !
I have about 150 pillows on the walls of the room : I chose laziness and bought standard ones that I did not modify.
I know we're a bit like twins.
We made similar paths in HiFi ( I remember the time when we both had MDA1000 / C220 / MC501's....) and I have to thank you again for initiating me to Shindo.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
I know, I know. Oh the shame. And to think that in my mind I told myself not to make the mistake as I wrote it.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyljh View Post
"I would like to say that a willingness to experience thru experiment does not mean that people are more interested in tweaking versus listening to music, which is kind of what some of the dealers are saying on this thread."

I just reread all the posts, where does any of the dealers suggest that?

S1chen- what is the rest of your system?

The VR dark? Never heard that before. Transparent I think is the power cord you tried? I tried this too at a dealer, wrong for Shindo in my personal opinion. We also tried HRS, this is completely the wrong solution for Shindo as well, it made Shindo sound like a generic preamp- lit up, harmonic structure tipped upwards, somewhat stripped and out of balance, bass lost definition while taking on a more heavy sound etc. Funny thing is HRS on other brands is excellent. HRS owned a Monbrison and they personally found it was the only preamp they ever tried that sounded worse with their treatments. The explanation was that Shindo was the only one that had actually paid attention to chassis tuning and resonance. And the Kondo cables... this is another EQ thing. In my opinion, something is going on in your system or room. You've done everything possible to brighten and tilt up the sound. Or maybe we just have different goals.

I'm not against people spending money and especially not against people enjoying themselves. I also know what is possible from Shindo and find it really sad so many never get to experience the possibilities. Your time and money should be spent making your system work as best as possible. Spend your time on room treatment before tube rolling. The difference between tubes is 1% of the difference between room acoustics. Besides, you run a much lower risk of breaking something when doing room treatment that you do when rolling tubes:-)

Jonathan
To answer to your questions:

I have both analog and digital
Analog
Linn LP12 full setup with Woodsong Ebony plinth and transfiguration Proteus (previously Lyra Titan) with cardas cable box with Kondo LPz into Kondo SFz step up transformer before into VR MM stage. The TT sit on the HRS S1 isolation base in the Finite Elemente Master reference rack. Radikal PC is the Shunyata ztron Cobra

Digital
Linn Majik DS, Light Harmonic Davinci DAC with wireworld Platinum digital cable. IC to VR is Kondo VZII. PC for Majik is the Shunyata ztron Anaconda and PC for Davinci is Transparent Reference powerlink MM2X. DAC on HRS S1 isolator base on HRS SXR rack, Majik on Finite Elemente Master reference rack

Amp
DIY 300B SE. IC is Kondo LPz. PC is transference PLMM2X. Sit on HRS M3 Isolation base on HRS amp rack. (other amps: cary 805AE, Audio note Silver signature conquest) (Amp on previous consideration: Shindo Latfon but no 4ohm)

Speaker
Wilson Audio Alexia, SC is kondo SPz

Power condition
Shunyata Telos with ztron Python feed all equipment except power amp direct to single 30A dedicate point. Power Amp direct to another 30A dedicated point

For discussion purposes, the Transparent power cord is added recently way after I upgrade the VR tubes. The original is good but darker toner compare to Masseto, kondo M7, M77, petrus (I own the masseto for 3 mth before upgrade to the VR). When I changed out the stock Jan 12AU7 and 12AT7 to the Telefunken and Mullard, the analog section transform to another layer of performance with even sweeter mid, wider sound stage and dynamic. After the great success of the upgrade, I explore the C3M and EF184. EF184 from the Lohenz to the miniwatt and un-capsult the C3M since only the Siemen make these c3m tubes. These tube swap make the VR open up the sound on the high yet maintain the original character of the VR quiet background and live sound stage. (Note that brighten up the sound is different from what making the pre more airy.)

I have try numerous power from Shunyata Python, Anaconda, Synegistic CTS, Tungsten, Harmonix MR2, Wireworld platinum, Kondo PCz and stock cable but finally settle on the transparent for his neutral character. The upgrade is way more superior than the stock when come to bass, mid, high, soundstage, quiet and dynamic.

Interconnect I used before: Nordost Vahalla, Shindo Silver, Acoustic Zen Silver reference, Transparent Ref XL.

The VR when first purchase rest on the Finite Elemente Master Reference and admit that the VR dont like spike and cone under the pre. It just make the sound tilt to one end. Even the HRS S1 isolation is not really perfect for the VR till I use the M3. With the M3, it get back all the original character of the VR and enhance on each department. you never know how good your VR till you get them on the right isolation.

Once again, your opinion is personal and i doubt you have really own so many different tubes, cables, isolation, gears to give justice to the Shindo equipment. And calling the Kondo cable as EQ is really a disappointment and did you really heard these cables in your own familiar environment before or it is only your guess or you heard the comments from someone? The shindo chassis is normal steel chassis and nothing to do with resonance control or tuned. If you are a dealer, share with us how many cables and tube you own, how many good equipment you own to throw out others experience.

Shindo is unique in the way that he explores each tube character be it a TV tube or RF tube and he know how to get the best out of each tube electrical parameter. But he dont own all the most exotic tube in his house and if he have some exotic tube and put them in the equipment, the VR will not be at this price range. Petrus is a good example due to the expensive WE tube in there.

I love the Shindo lab equipment over many others brand due to his unique sound character which is very lively, warm and good bass line. But are they the best? My answer is no. The Phono is what everyone here take it as a reference and no par by the others... but wait till you heard the Kondo Phono and it is totally difference experience. Nevertheless, I prefer the Shindo Line stage over the kondo as it is more forgiving then the Kondo Line stage.

Last edited by S1chen; 06-15-2013 at 08:05 PM.