AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 05-27-2015, 09:50 AM

Simon,
this is small batch production of tube audio gear. It can differ from one batch to the other in circuit and components used, one cannot tell from the outside look of the gear what is inside. At some point, the outside may change, too.
Another point is customizing, means the build to order of special functions or accessoires within the units. and than there are mods from users or Shindo Labs long time after purchase, they may change the whole circuit or just change parts, as we have seen.
In this case, someone has changed the output tubes to a different type and the circuit to cathode follower output like Aurieges. In fact, it changes the output impedance to higher values, too. But maybe it better suits his ideas of sound. After all, it still can be an excellent sounding unit. Nothing needed for an overhaul as long as the user dont wants absolute authencity of the original builded circuit.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:12 AM

" ...this is small batch production of tube audio gear. It can differ from one batch to the other in circuit and components used, one cannot tell from the outside look of the gear what is inside."

I agree, and a batch could be just the one preamp, the next build of the same preamp likely will be different.

"At some point, the outside may change, too. Another point is customizing, means the build to order of special functions or accessoires within the units. and than there are mods from users or Shindo Labs long time after purchase, they may change the whole circuit or just change parts, as we have seen.

After all, it still can be an excellent sounding unit. Nothing needed for an overhaul as long as the user dont wants absolute authencity of the original builded circuit."

I totally agree, it may not match the original build but that does not mean it dosen't sound good or better. I don't know how my Shindo modified RA1474-II sounds compared to its original pre modification build, but I do know it sounds stunning in my system, significantly better than the Aureiges that it replaced.

Simon
Valencia, Spain
Old 05-27-2015, 10:30 AM

There are still some excellent components left in this RA-pre;-)
Old 05-27-2015, 11:33 AM

Lets put some facts with the musings;

All Allegro's came with output transformers from the factory originally.

Mono inputs are exactly that, mono meaning one channel cartridges. A mono summing input is never possible nor recommended as they do sound pretty awful.

Customization was never part of the program besides some very minor things like no MC step up transformers or the "Y" connection mono input for single channel cartridges like the EMT OFD series. Both of these at my request, I don't believe that was done in the past but I can't say for sure without asking.

Many Allegro's and other Shindo models are very much the same in construction and parts from one to the next. Yes, variations do and did exist over time. The names Shindo used were reused for new models over the years which creates some of the confusion. New design concepts and thoughts, new chassis ideas etc. Parts stock also was reason for changes. Run out of one cap, change a few other parts to get the desired sound with the replacement cap. Like a chef that has run out of a particular spice at dinner time. A master can find a solution.

This generation of Allegro always used the same output transformer. The Lundahl one pictured is a modification- good, bad, better or indifferent.

You may see many Allegro's without the output transformers. This comes when service and overhaul are not completed. Those "excellent components" are indeed excellent and very old. Many must be replaced or catastrophic failures will eventually occur i.e. blown output transformers. It happens. Some of these are now 30 years old...

As for sounding better than the intended design- sound is subjective, not much I can add here except my own opinion is I would always defer to Shindo's design rather than some tech with the wrong solder and parts. Yes, even the solder makes a huge difference which is why I never let anyone but the factory touch my gear and occasionally myself with the correct parts, solder and lots of care. A good tech does not equal correct sound... Many of the pieces I have seen come up for sale have been completely redone- every connection and part. Does the green (or brown, gray) paint make it Shindo or the fact that Shindo designed and built it.

Just placing this post here to prevent all the hearsay form becoming facts that will then be repeated ad nauseam. I'm often amazed how one little post on a forum can generate dozens of emails even ten years after the fact! I just feel the need to lay out the correct history for future readers.

Jonathan
Old 05-27-2015, 02:57 PM

So many different versions, which 911 has the best performance and could be most desirable?
Old 05-28-2015, 01:36 AM

Yet another Allegro 604s and no output transformers...

http://www.hifishock.org/galleries/e...laboratory.jpg

Simon

Last edited by SimonYVR; 05-28-2015 at 01:41 AM.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:39 AM

And some very non original wire in its place.

Jonathan
Old 05-28-2015, 08:32 AM

Default Great post

Thanks Jonathan.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:31 PM

Thanks again.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:59 AM

I'v been lurking around this forum for some time reading through the various threads and getting more interested in setting up a Shindo rig.
However; i've noticed that most of the discussion is around equipment in current production rather than vintage items available on the secondhand market.
Are forum members here primarily using very recent production items in their systems?
Are there any members who use mostly vintage Shindo in their systems.

What would you say are the advantages and disadvantages of each approach?