AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 10-09-2012, 03:08 PM

Toga,
The Q3s are double the cost of Sophia 3s and should sound better. Maybe I should continue to experiment with electronics and the source before I look at changing from Sasha's.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlacoste

And you saying that based on what? See JA remark: “the Sasha's plot of impedance magnitude and electrical phase (fig.1) reveals the speaker to be a demanding load for the partnering amplifier to drive“. The Wilson are extremely difficult to drive; the Sasha's plot dip to 2 ohm at 86Hz! These Wilson’s posts are full of regurgitation of baseless propaganda. I really don’t understand why so many Wilson’s fans can’t simply enjoy the speakers for what they are?
Now I'm definitely convinced that you do not know what you're talking about. "The Wilson are extremely difficult to drive". FYI, Art Dudley who wrote the review for which you are referring to, drove the Sasha's with the Shindo Corton-Charlemagne, a 25 wpc amp. How much more efficient do you want a speaker to be? I was at CES and worked in LAMM/ Wilson room and I do know what I'm talking about, Wilson's can be driven by SET's. The LAMM ML3 being one of many examples. The Q3 needs AT LEAST 50wpc which you're probably not going to get with most SET's. FYI Wilson fans & owners, me being one of them simply do enjoy and have enjoyed them for what they are for a long time.

Last edited by sanji; 10-09-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanji View Post
Now I'm definitely convinced that you do not know what you're talking about...
I know it is hard for you to grasp, but 2 ohm at 86Hz is hard work. Even for Art Dudley 25 wpc SET... Man, I feel like Galilei here
Old 10-09-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlacoste View Post
I know it is hard for you to grasp, but 2 ohm at 86Hz is hard work. Even for Art Dudley 25 wpc SET... Man, I feel like Galilei here
This thread is really going nowhere.

Just because it is hard work does not mean it cannot be accomplished. Wilson is not going to be let Sasha's or other speakers be shown at audio shows with equipment that cannot handle to load. Sasha's have been shown at the last two RMAF's with medium power tube amps and they sounded a whole lot better than the room next door with Q5's and Q1's.

I have never had the desire to own Sasha's so don't think I am a Wilson slappy. I went to RMAF in 2010 mainly to hear the Q5's because I liked what I heard when listening to other aluminum speakers (Krell & YG). I really thought going in they would be my next speaker. I thought it has to be the room or associated gear.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:40 PM

Sashas are by far the most difficult load of the Wilson roster. They can be driven by SETs but IMHO much better in the mid-upper bass area with more grunt than an SET can provide. All others including the Alexandrias are driven well by virtually any amp.
Wilson Alexia V, ARC Ref 160M MkII,Ref 40,Ref Phono2SE, Shunyata Triton3, Typhon, Sigma PCs, ICs & SCs, Spectral SDR4000SV (w MIT IC), Belcanto PL1, Oppo 205, Marantz 2270 (tuner only):AudioDesk and VPI record cleaners, Furutech Demag & Destat; Stillpoint Apertures, TechDas AF 3S Premium with SAT CF9 and Kuzma 4pt 9" arms, Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Dynavector XV1-t stereo and XV1-s mono carts, Miyajima mono, Shure V15VxMR,
Old 10-10-2012, 11:10 AM

I enjoy threads like this greatly. Matters little to me if a little frustration/anger creeps in occassionally. If one reads all these comments carefully, there is a lot of information coming forth. I'd love to be able to hear a Magico for myself, especially with a Wilson in the same room to compare it to. I have always felt that all things being equal, sealed designs were the superior design. But when I hear my Maxxes, it's impossible not fall for them, i.e. connect with them on a level below the intellect. My intellect tells me that Magico's should sound better. They are undoubtably a flatter speaker. Dave Wilson said, "If you can find a speaker you can identify with emotionally, you should cherish that speaker and keep it forever." There is a lot of truth in that statement. There is also a lot of truth to the statement "You should hear/enjoy a speaker for what it is, not for what it is not." I know that my Maxxes aren't as flat as their Magico counterparts or as extended, but my Maxxes float my boat everyday. I hear my Maxxes everday for what they are: a fantastic if imperfect speaker.

I think Magico creates speakers that first and foremost must measure impeccably. The emotional aspect is important yet seconday. Wilson creates speakers where measurements are ultimately less important than what might be termed the jump factor or emotional aspect. Speakers reflect the tastes and dispositions of their designers. Dave Wilson desings to a "sound", the one he hears in the Vienna concert hall he travels to every year. Magico's sound is much more measurement oriented, IMO.

Last edited by Charles; 10-10-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I enjoys threads like this greatly. Matters little to me if a little frustration/anger creeps in occassionally. If one reads all these comments carefully, there is a lot of information coming forth. I'd love to be able to hear a Magico for myself, especially with a Wilson in the same room to compare it to. I have always felt that all things being equal, sealed designs were the superior design. But when I hear my Maxxes, it's impossible not fall for them, i.e. connect with them on a level below the intellect. My intellect tells me that Magico's should sound better. They are undoubtably a flatter speaker. Dave Wilson said, "If you can find a speaker you can identify with emotionally, you should cherish that speaker and keep it forever." There is a lot of truth in that statement. There is also a lot of truth to the statement "You should hear/enjoy a speaker for what it is, not for what it is not." I know that my Maxxes aren't as flat as their Magico counterparts or as extended, but my Maxxes float my boat everyday. I hear my Maxxes everday for what they are: a fantastic if imperfect speaker.
Charles :
Old 10-10-2012, 05:53 PM

Charles,
Within the Wilson line, do the best sounding Wilson's measure the best? I'm not talking about the most bass, but the flattest measurements.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricjor1 View Post
Charles,
Within the Wilson line, do the best sounding Wilson's measure the best? I'm not talking about the most bass, but the flattest measurements.
Good question! There is only one problem, no one here (Or anywhere) can agree on what sounds good. So all we can, intelligibly, talk about is empirical data. The problem with that is that most of audionuts, me included, don’t necessarily understand much of it. There is a lot more than just a flat FR to a set of clean bill of health. Having said that, it does not take a genius to see that Wilson have some serious issues in their “engineering” department.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:40 PM

I listen to music with my ears. Not a spec sheet.