AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:38 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno2009 View Post
Buck - nice to hear and it really is the only thing that makes sense and explains the ongoing differences between the sources from material to material (and thus why I‘m finding it difficult to make a general statement). Doesn’t make it easier though - would actually implicate that all three sources have their „moments“... so run all three? I like the Idea I posted above - rip existing CDs to FLAC, use Tidal for new releases (merge them by using Roon) and buy Vinyl when you‘re sure mastering and pressing are of excellent quality...
As some folks on here may know, this is why I’m a pretty big fan of the Steve Hoffman forums.....there’s enough information on recordings and mastering over there to last you a lifetime. It’s geared more toward the classic rock/pop fans, but there is a wealth of information on mastering, pressings, SACD.....you name it. If I’m not familiar with certain recording, I always do a search over there. Easily the most detailed music centered resource I’ve ever seen.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 06-14-2018, 08:20 AM

In my system while there are exceptions, this is my preference. ..

Vinyl(by a wide margin)
HiRes Downloads
MQA(only getting first unfold)
CD
44.1 streaming
TIDAL Hifi

George
Old 06-14-2018, 08:43 AM

Well - I own tons of Vinyl which sounds best (and I really mean by far).

Then there`s CDs that actually sound better and or paar to the streamed files per Tidal.

... BUT - just when I come to think that there is no actual need for streaming in terms of pure SQ, I come across a poor pressing/mastering and find a Tidal stream that actually even beats the Vinyl.

So my verdict is - Vinyl is best by far (IF mastering and pressing are top notch). So analog is out of the discussion for me - especially as there is also the collecting part.

Come to digital (if there is no or only an inferior Vinyl release).

This is where the questioning starts, is there need for a CD drive AND Streaming via Tidal or does it make more sense to convert all existing CDs to a FLAC and use an external drive for streaming and merge this with the Tidal subscription (via Roon for example).

So the question I keep coming back to is basically

Vinyl + CD + streaming = three source components

or

Vinyl + streaming = two source components (sell the CD Transport)

... I`m really a little torn on this matter...
Old 06-14-2018, 09:51 AM

... there is a downside to Vinyl that is becoming more and more annoying though...

... as it has by now become a mainstream product again, production rates have obviously exploded. The consequences are on one side complete overproduction and ridiculous prices (and in further consequence, later price - dumping to rid the overproduced rest) and at the same time a noticeable loss in overall quality. Many releases are either "collectors items" such as picture discs or colored discs (which sound inferior) or the pressings have faults - I get more and more Vinyl (especially the 180g releases) with inacceptable height impact for example.

I find this extremely annoying (though the industry never fails at making the same mistakes) and it is seriously starting to put me off the hobby of collecting vinyl.

This is actually a point towards streaming - you eliminate all these issues that also have a strong effect on SQ.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Well - I own tons of Vinyl which sounds best (and I really mean by far).

Then there`s CDs that actually sound better and or paar to the streamed files per Tidal.

... BUT - just when I come to think that there is no actual need for streaming in terms of pure SQ, I come across a poor pressing/mastering and find a Tidal stream that actually even beats the Vinyl.

So my verdict is - Vinyl is best by far (IF mastering and pressing are top notch). So analog is out of the discussion for me - especially as there is also the collecting part.

Come to digital (if there is no or only an inferior Vinyl release).

This is where the questioning starts, is there need for a CD drive AND Streaming via Tidal or does it make more sense to convert all existing CDs to a FLAC and use an external drive for streaming and merge this with the Tidal subscription (via Roon for example).

So the question I keep coming back to is basically

Vinyl + CD + streaming = three source components

or

Vinyl + streaming = two source components (sell the CD Transport)

... I`m really a little torn on this matter...

Glad to see that you kept your mind open to streaming. For a moment I thought that had given up [emoji3]

I ripped all my CDs and SACDs. The are now stored in a NAS. I also bought a lifetime subscription to Roon ($500) and subscribed to Tidal. Roon integrates the library in my NAS and my Tidal favorites seamlessly. The convenience cannot be beat.

In my experience, since I ripped my collection, I no longer use the CD player or a transport. In fact I cannot recall the last time I played a physical CD.

However, I keep a universal player (Oppo) that I use to play movies.

So my advice would be to keep your CD player for now. Then proceed with ripping your CD collection and subscribe to Roon/Tidal. Eventually you can decide if you want to get rid of your CD player.

And btw, I agree with you that some Tidal offerings can sound better than the LP version. The mastering is the key.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:02 PM
Racing Hoopties

I think you are over analyzing this. In most cases, the recording process determine how good an album sounds. Streamed via Tidal, Physical CD versus Ripped CD, LP, etc.

Give yourself the most options within your budget. For you that would seem to be keep selectively buying LPs as that is clearly your preferred Media, buy and rip CDs as needed/Get ROON/Tidal.

Then choose as you wish what to listen to.

Do not get rid of your CDs even after ripping as they are your most stable ‘backup’.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 06-14-2018, 03:17 PM

Thanx for all the great feedback.

@Nicoff & crwilli

Yes - I was actually close to giving up on the streaming subject. Then I thought „it can‘t be all that bad“... and now I‘m actually getting a little comfortable with it. It takes some getting used to (might sound stupid for some - but for me collecting music was always an essential part of my lifestyle - just like going to concerts etc.)

Now ripping the CDs piece by piece and setting up a NAS was something I considered.

I don’t like the way Tidal (or the Lightning DS app) manages my files (I‘d like to be able to make folders by Genre and keep Artists under the Genre followed by the released Albums for Example - at least this is how I organize my LPs and CDs).

So my thoughts actually went towards Roon.

What are your thoughts on Roon? Is it worth the 500 USD? Will it improve my library? Would you recommend it?

All the best
Old 06-14-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
I think you are over analyzing this. In most cases, the recording process determine how good an album sounds. Streamed via Tidal, Physical CD versus Ripped CD, LP, etc.

Give yourself the most options within your budget. For you that would seem to be keep selectively buying LPs as that is clearly your preferred Media, buy and rip CDs as needed/Get ROON/Tidal.

Then choose as you wish what to listen to.

Do not get rid of your CDs even after ripping as they are your most stable ‘backup’.

Craig has hit the nail on the head. There is great music available both in digital and on vinyl: keep your playback options open and pursue the music you love in the format that sounds best or is available for each recording. It’s harder to just enjoy the music when you’re trying to analyze the sound. As the Linn tag line says, “just listen...”
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 06-14-2018, 03:57 PM
Racing Hoopties

Default Comparing digitale files/sources to each other and to vinyl...

Quote:

@Nicoff & crwilli

Yes - I was actually close to giving up on the streaming subject. Then I thought „it can‘t be all that bad“... and now I‘m actually getting a little comfortable with it. It takes some getting used to (might sound stupid for some - but for me collecting music was always an essential part of my lifestyle - just like going to concerts etc.)

Now ripping the CDs piece by piece and setting up a NAS was something I considered.

I don’t like the way Tidal (or the Lightning DS app) manages my files (I‘d like to be able to make folders by Genre and keep Artists under the Genre followed by the released Albums for Example - at least this is how I organize my LPs and CDs).

What are your thoughts on Roon? Is it worth the 500 USD? Will it improve my library? Would you recommend it?

All the best

On ROON - Yes, Yes and Yes. Only caveat is we all hope they exist for years!!! A lifetime is a long time.

Store your CDs on your hard drive in a [artist] - [album title] folder format (works for all genres except classical, ask others the best way to store classical titles). Then ROON will allow you to ‘see’ them in many formats depending on your mood. Artist, album, genre etc.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack

Last edited by crwilli; 06-14-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:58 PM

Default Comparing digitale files/sources to each other and to vinyl...

Quote:

@Nicoff & crwilli

All the best

Think of Roon as a $500 equipment or component. Since you will never have to upgrade it or replace it, it is the cheapest component that you will own forever.
IMO, Roon offers the best music management features in the market. It takes the music from Tidal an integrates it with your own music. Also using Focus, Roon allows you to search and catalog any music in your library in ways that no other software that I know can.
Very highly recommended.

PS. And the newest version of Roon also does the MQA software unfold (24/96 I think) from your Tidal MQA albums.

Last edited by nicoff; 06-14-2018 at 04:01 PM.