AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 11-04-2016, 04:39 PM

Maybe use different software? JRiver works great.

The C52 (and C47) certainly seem to be getting rave reviews. Would like to do a shootout between the C2600 and C52, but I have the feeling that there wouldn't be much difference.
Turntable: VPI Prime Signature Cart: Benz Micro LP-S DAC: Lampizator Golden Atlantic Preamp: Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps: Mac MC75 * 2 60th Anniv., Mac MC205 Speakers: Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S, Totems Headphone amp: Glenn 300B Headphones: LCD-4
Old 11-04-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKR View Post
In my limited experience I thought McIntosh was know for classic vintage McIntosh sound warm and smooth and some what detailed not very clean and transparent. But with this C52 now it appears McIntosh have it all.
The sound is very dynamic clear and transparent not bright maintaining its warmth and huge sound stage.
Generally when Phono Stages and DACs are included in a pre amplifier or integrated amplifier they are considered as good value addition with decent performance.
But never I have heard an add on product to a preamplifier to be that good so as to challenge a stand alone high value high end DAC or Phono stage.
The DACs I have used or listen to are Calyx, Ayre, Vega and Exa 22.
And listening to C52 I can say that I am enjoying is more than all of them.
I wish McIntosh had implemented AISO for using it with HQPlayer software which I am using for listening to DSD and PCM upsampled to DSD 128 or 256.
The Phono section of C52 is better than my Lehman Decade which I purchased only 6 months back.
You captured my feelings. I'd avoided McIntosh for years thinking it was well made but not up to speed. It was just a thought I had. I'm glad I went with the C52. It turned me around.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:39 PM

Maybe I missed, not sure, but are there any pictures or links to pictures on the web showing internals of C52 (or C2600) from top and/or bottom side?? Would prefer to see some. THX
Old 02-03-2017, 03:33 PM

I have the C52 on the way. I sold my C2500 preamp with Mullard Tubes in it to a friend. Maybe a sideways move, but I was so curious to hear solid state sound from McIntosh. If it is not my cup of tea or I miss the C2500, I will wait about a year and trade it in for the C2600.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalcityguy View Post
I have the C52 on the way. I sold my C2500 preamp with Mullard Tubes in it to a friend. Maybe a sideways move, but I was so curious to hear solid state sound from McIntosh. If it is not my cup of tea or I miss the C2500, I will wait about a year and trade it in for the C2600.

The am listening to the C52 now and still love it........ enjoy!

This is a damn good pre.
Sonus Faber Amati Faturas / JL Audio 13.5” Fanthom In Wall Subs / McIntosh C52 / McIntosh MCD 1100 / McIntosh MEN 220 / McIntosh MC 601’s / McIntosh MPC 1500 / McIntosh MT 5 / McIntosh MC 275’s / Luxman AS-55 Amp Selector / Silenzo (This thing is Amazing) / Gold Lion Tubes from Vintage Tube

All items in green were bought thru the AA marketplace and blue from a current AA retailer
Old 02-04-2017, 11:04 AM

Hello. Seeing this thread and being a McIntosh owner including the C52, I thought that I would chime in my thoughts. I have a pair of MCD550 CD players and was interested in a comparison of the preamp's analog vs. DAC digital channels and connected the devices accordingly to the preamp (see photos below). Using my reference CD (a pair of The Steve Davis Project --- Quality Of Silence, DMP Records), I proceeded to A --- B switch between the 2 blindfolded with a friend doing the switching. I also had my friend blindfolded and I took the helm of the switching of the channels. Both myself and my friend were amazed at the consistency in the sound reproduction as well as the level of transparency in the music between the 2 channels. This was a very enjoyable experience and again quite a surprise. Thanks...

Last edited by jdandy; 02-04-2017 at 12:50 PM. Reason: links to image hosting site against forum rules. These were deleted.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:59 AM

I put my C52 in the system last night for the first time. Does the sound change much with burn in? If so, about how many hours? Since I have the C52 and MC452 amp, I can pretty much leave them on 24/7 can't I?
Old 02-08-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questortapes74 View Post
Hello. Seeing this thread and being a McIntosh owner including the C52, I thought that I would chime in my thoughts. I have a pair of MCD550 CD players and was interested in a comparison of the preamp's analog vs. DAC digital channels and connected the devices accordingly to the preamp (see photos below). Using my reference CD (a pair of The Steve Davis Project --- Quality Of Silence, DMP Records), I proceeded to A --- B switch between the 2 blindfolded with a friend doing the switching. I also had my friend blindfolded and I took the helm of the switching of the channels. Both myself and my friend were amazed at the consistency in the sound reproduction as well as the level of transparency in the music between the 2 channels. This was a very enjoyable experience and again quite a surprise. Thanks...

That is a serious rack! Enjoy...
Old 02-08-2017, 10:44 AM

Default McIntosh C52 Preamplifier Review

Quote:
I put my C52 in the system last night for the first time. Does the sound change much with burn in? If so, about how many hours? Since I have the C52 and MC452 amp, I can pretty much leave them on 24/7 can't I?

Leave them on all you want... my old 452 and my C52 run cool as winter, hours on end. I thought about 100 hours did the trick, but honestly not sure for each, because I didn't buy them simultaneously...
Old 02-08-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:

I think you will get best results after about 125 hours.
Let it run as both your amp and pre are solid state so no problem