AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music > Classical Music Discussion

Classical Music Discussion Across the Ages

Old 02-23-2018, 09:36 PM

Excellent, Bart. I wish I had been there!
Old 02-23-2018, 09:53 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

We hosted the Frederick Symphony Orchestra at our church built in 1859 and used as a Civil war hospital in 1862-63 for the battles of South Mountain and Antietam a few weeks ago.
I MC'd and mixed sound for the concert, and they did a wonderful job with the works by Mozart and Beethoven. The Brass Civil war pieces were wonderful and well recieved as well!

Live classical Music in a great space was very enjoyable.
Regards,
Jim

Last edited by ehoove; 02-23-2018 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:11 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
Excellent, Bart. I wish I had been there!

We'll surely organise something for when you visit us next time!
Or you in Missouri...
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 02-24-2018, 03:12 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoove View Post
We hosted the Frederick Symphony Orchestra at our church built in 1859 and used as a Civil war hospital in 1862-63 for the battles of South Mountain and Antietam a few weeks ago.
I MC'd and mixed sound for the concert, and they did a wonderful job with the works by Mozart and Beethoven. The Brass Civil war pieces were wonderful and well recieved as well!

Live classical Music in a great space was very enjoyable.
Regards,
Jim

Jim, I love 'Mozart' and 'Beethoven', but I'd love to know 'Various'!

Seriously, seems like it was a wonderful event.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 02-24-2018, 09:26 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Jim, I love 'Mozart' and 'Beethoven', but I'd love to know 'Various'!

Seriously, seems like it was a wonderful event.
Shenandoah brought th house down, and it was very good, From the balcony where I was mixing I could hear each instrument and it was aurally glorious.
Regards,
Jim
Old 03-02-2018, 02:36 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Program

Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)
Beethoven Close-up: lecture-performance, with live musical examples
Symphony no. 9 in D minor, opus 125

Performers

Anima Eterna Brugge
Collegium Vocale Gent: choir
Korneel Bernolet: conductor
Yeree Suh: soprano
Isabelle Rejall: mezzo-soprano
Markus Schäfer: tenor
Thomas Bauer: bass
Pieter Bergé: introduction

Exactly 10 years after their touchstone recording of Beethoven's complete symphonies on period instruments, Jos van Immerseel and Anima Eterna zoom in on what many consider to be the cornerstone and showpiece of Beethoven’s orchestral oeuvre: his masterly Ninth. Completed in 1824, and blessed with even more monumental dimensions than its predecessors, this consummately crafted cathedral voices the birth of triumph from upheaval, and the journey of the soul from introspection to jubilation. Its legendarily tough score is brimming with technical challenges. With the addition of Schiller's Ode to Joy – this evening performed by a dream choir with ditto soloists - this work easily surpasses all boundaries. Prepare to be fully immersed: as an opener to this evening, born storyteller Pieter Bergé offers insight and explanation, all backed up by the necessary live musical examples.

Jos van Immerseel thinks about tomorrow; he has already found his successor to conduct our fabulous orchestra: Korneel Bernolet.

I have to say: we had a marvellous performance.
The orchestra was fantastic, the soloists were convincing, and the choir - Collegium Vocale! - is always great.
I was moved to tears; experience this all time masterpiece live and in full strength is quite a treat.

The whole concert on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...bf74-348852813

As always, we're in the 5th or 6th row.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:49 PM

This ballet last Saturday:

ALICE (in wonderland), choreographed by Septime Webre and music by Matthew Pierce. It was performed by the Oregon Ballet Theater in Portland's Keller Auditorium. A knockout in every respect--from the stage sets and Carrolesque costumes to the at-once exquisite and athletic dancing (I've never seen such a limber Caterpillar) and spot-on orchestral accompaniment.

The Row L seats were a Christmas gift from my wife--she sure knows how to pick 'em.

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 (AKM version), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:32 AM
Life is beautiful

Jim, must have been a fantastic experience.
Thank you for sharing!
Old 03-09-2018, 01:19 PM

Excellent Jim!
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 05-27-2018, 10:10 AM
Life is beautiful

Last week, we attended 3 concerts with the Budapest Festival Orchestra.
Iván Fischer and his 'gang' adore coming to Brugge, because of the very enthusiastic reception of the public, and because the concert hall has such good acoustics.
This year: Mahler.
We didn't attend the first evening (chamber music) but the next three days we did, and the performances were exceptional.
Mahler 4, Das Lied von der Erde, Mahler 2, and some smaller works.
Solo singers, choir, musicians (you should see them smile while they're playing, wonderful), and the eminent conductor, it was such a joy and a blessing to be able to be there.
I was moved to tears every concert.

Our tickets for next year are already safely booked...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5476.jpg (96.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5479.jpg (97.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5482.jpg (93.8 KB, 24 views)