AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 04-24-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Mike.......I would have had to ask the dealer exactly what DAC is that. If he is making a statement that the C52 has the same DAC as the D150, I think he should have no problem being more specific. McIntosh has used a number of different DAC's in their products in the past five years or so. If the dealer can't be specific, then he should not be making comments like that to a potential customer. Comments like that should be backed up with specifics, like it's a Wolfson WM8740, or it's a Burr-Brown PCM1792A, or it's an ESS ES9018 Sabre Reference DAC. I'm not saying the dealer is incorrect, but there are many assumptions being tossed about that aren't necessarily factual. If I am about to purchase a $7000.00 preamplifier, my questions should be answered thoroughly. Just sayin'.........
+1
Old 04-25-2016, 03:24 PM

I'm sure he would have been more forth coming in handing out information. This wasn't the fault of the salesman. I dropped my wife off on one side of Ann Arbor to do grocery shopping and the sped off to the other side of town to get to the audio shop before it closed at 5:00. With 15 minutes to closing time I walked into the building with 3 CD's. The salesman said don't worry about the time. After giving me a 10,000 foot overview of the C52, his slipped my first CD into the MCT450 CD/SCAD transport that was connected to the C52, handed me the remote and closed the door so I could focus on listening. I knew I didn't have much time because my wife was going to text me when she was finished shopping and then we had to speed off to the Metro airport to pick up my daughter. After only listening to 3 tracks I got the call and had to leave. I was disappointed I didn’t get to spend more time with the C52. I did push all the buttons and turn the knobs to make sure it was built as solid as my C2300 which I feel that it is. It is very difficult for me to tell what a particular component sounds like in a room that I am not familiar with and connected to equipment I am not familiar with. The amp was a MC452 connected to Sonus Faber Amati Futura’s. One thing I noticed was it had more bass slam than I current have. My subs have not been configured since my last move. The sound with female vocals didn’t sound as warm as my setup and the guitar strings seemed to have more snap. Now that is more likely the Amati Futura’s compared to my Memento Guarneir’s rather than the difference between the C52 and the C2300. I called the store and the C52 is using the ESS9018S DACs. You probably want to know how many and what configuration. I forgot to ask. Sorry guys I have failed. Time to take up knitting as a hobby.

~Mike
Old 04-25-2016, 04:30 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Mike.......Thanks for the follow up and the DAC information. The ESS ES9018 Sabre Reference DAC is an 8 channel DAC and is most likely configured in a dual quad DAC arrangement. The DAC has a maximum 200kHz sampling rate that supports SPDIF, PCM (I2S, MSB/LSB justified 16-32-bit) or DSD input with DVD Audio and SACD compatibility. The ES9018S Sabre 32 Reference DAC delivers an unprecedented DNR of up to 135dB and THD+N of -120dB. This ESS DAC is excellent. No wander it sounds so good. It's the same DAC McIntosh uses in the MCD1100.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 04-25-2016 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:28 PM

But don't the Sabre DAC's tend to be a little brighter/harder sounding? Or is that just an unfair generalization on my part? I thought I read that multiple times on the boards.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:27 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalcityguy View Post
But don't the Sabre DAC's tend to be a little brighter/harder sounding? Or is that just an unfair generalization on my part? I thought I read that multiple times on the boards.
Kieran.......In my opinion, that is a false generalization that some people have repeated enough times that it has influenced some who don't have actual experience with the ESS ES9018S. My experience with multiple DACs that use that ESS DAC has been extremely pleasing. There are many manufacturers who have selected the ES9018S because of its excellent performance. Some people have personal preferences for other DAC's. There's nothing wrong with that. Before you allow someone else's opinion, including mine, to influence your purchasing decision let your own ears be the judge.

Keep in mind, the DAC alone is not the absolute "do all" definition of a component's sound and performance. There are analog amplifier circuits, some solid state and others tube driven, that the audio signal passes through in every DAC. The design, implementation, power supply, and parts quality of all the circuits in a DAC influence the sound. It is easy to say this DAC or that DAC sounds one way or the other while ignoring everything else inside a particular component.

I suggest you take time to discover for yourself how different DAC's, preamplifiers, amplifiers, and speakers sound before taking anyone's comments as the gospel. No two people hear the same way, so what may thrill one person might be a major turn-off for another, or vice versa. There is no substitute for actual hands on experience. It is the ultimate proof source. Everything else is just gossip.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 04-25-2016 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:35 PM

Good exchange, I enjoyed it. I'm getting the C52 sight unseen, with a huge leap of faith, and then blame it on y'all if i do not like it.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:42 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Hector.......I feel confident you are going to truly enjoy the McIntosh C52. Looking forward to reading your impressions. Give us a full review and photos.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:23 PM

I promise I will. But it will, however, be a little while, as I am buying it on a lay-away plan...
Old 04-25-2016, 08:29 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutomac View Post
I promise I will. But it will, however, be a little while, as I am buying it on a lay-away plan...
Hector.......No rush.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Mike.......Thanks for the follow up and the DAC information. The ESS ES9018 Sabre Reference DAC is an 8 channel DAC and is most likely configured in a dual quad DAC arrangement. The DAC has a maximum 200kHz sampling rate that supports SPDIF, PCM (I2S, MSB/LSB justified 16-32-bit) or DSD input with DVD Audio and SACD compatibility. The ES9018S Sabre 32 Reference DAC delivers an unprecedented DNR of up to 135dB and THD+N of -120dB. This ESS DAC is excellent. No wander it sounds so good. It's the same DAC McIntosh uses in the MCD1100.
Well this explains a lot for me!! THANKS GUYS!
Sonus Faber Amati Faturas / JL Audio 13.5” Fanthom In Wall Subs / McIntosh C52 / McIntosh MCD 1100 / McIntosh MEN 220 / McIntosh MC 601’s / McIntosh MPC 1500 / McIntosh MT 5 / McIntosh MC 275’s / Luxman AS-55 Amp Selector / Silenzo (This thing is Amazing) / Gold Lion Tubes from Vintage Tube

All items in green were bought thru the AA marketplace and blue from a current AA retailer