AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 03-02-2016, 01:22 AM

AudioA100, welcome to AA.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:33 AM

I arbitrarily gave it a number based on my preferences.

The difference between the 802d2 and the 802d3 in a side by side is very very easy to hear. Even my 60 year old dad could hear the difference and Kevin heard the exact same thing.

I put importance on realism, image density and palpability. That's what I put weight on.

The 802d2 on Boulder is the same difference as stock 802d2 to 802d3.

Just imagine what a Boulder will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioA100 View Post
You didn't mention where did you listen to those speakers?
What amplifier was it when you listened to them?

From other website a user found 802D3 has no enough bass compared to 802D2. It said a lot less. It was using two Macintosh Mc601. I also wonder how you got your 25% improvement conclusion? Most likely people describe with price increase by a percentage but not sound quality. It's even strange if a new generation of speakers has the capability of improving sound quality vs previous generation by 40%, it implies that 802D (d1) delivers only half of sound quality, or the 802N would only get you 35% of the sound quality in comparing to 802D3. That doesn't make sense.

It matches, if you try to rationalize B&W's price increase, but definitely not alongside with sound improvement.

It mentioned to use 802D3, Macintosh Amp might not be as good as direct-coupled solid states amps. I think it's because 802D3 has even lower impedance than 802D2. Macintosh's fixed impedance output would get in trouble to deal with the new 800 D3s. Unless they try to sell you 1.2kw....

So what did you use for your audition? A Classe?
Old 03-02-2016, 08:25 AM

"Even my 60 year old dad could hear the difference and Kevin heard the exact same thing."

So exactly what are you implying here?!

FYI - I'll be 60 in November so I represent that comment!
Audio Room: CH Precision I1, Esoteric k01XD, Lab 12 Melto 2, Luxman PD-171A TT, Roon Nucleus, Stenheim Alumine Three, Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables, Siltech 680 interconnects, Shunyata Sigma USB Cable, Audioquest Hurricane PCs, Shunyata Everest,CORE Design racks, Stein Harmonizers, HRS damping plates, Stillpoints and all that other silly stuff.

Office: Luxman L-595A SE, Diapason Neos speakers, HiFi Rose RS150B, Nordost Frey 2 Interconnects, Tellurium Q Silver speaker cables,
Old 03-02-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_v View Post
I arbitrarily gave it a number based on my preferences.

The difference between the 802d2 and the 802d3 in a side by side is very very easy to hear. Even my 60 year old dad could hear the difference and Kevin heard the exact same thing.

I put importance on realism, image density and palpability. That's what I put weight on.

The 802d2 on Boulder is the same difference as stock 802d2 to 802d3.

Just imagine what a Boulder will do.
Boulder should be a nice amp to drive the 802d3 although I haven't listened to a Boulder before.

Whether a pair of d2 or d3, high current direct-coupled power amps are required to bring every bit of the bass potential and soundstage to you, so as to have open and spacious high. Hence various results can be misleading with people on the internet saying new d3 has more bass, better soundstage in a dealer's place compared to their own without knowing that he could get a better sound from his 802d2 with an amp better fit with his speakers.

I read the Hifi news of March, a 803d3 can dip to 1.1Ohm at 82hz. Not every amp will get you same good feeling about the sound vs the look. It's not about how much power you have to drive it, it's about how the electronics working behavior of the amp is to handle it. 600W Mc601 isn't good to get deeper bass out of it, a constant current amp, e.g. Krill FBP, designed by Dan d'agostino, or the kind, 100-300w is probably one's better choice.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:49 PM

For what it is worth, I recently had the opportunity to first listen to both the 802D3 and 803D3 (which sounded very similar to me) in a relatively large room in a high-end shop and then to face-off the 803D3 vs the Focal 1038BE at the same high-end shop using high-end amps. I went through this face-off since I already owned the 1038BE, which I liked a lot, and was primarily considering the 803D3 from the new B&W line-up based on the size of the room the speakers would be going into which is roughly 18 x 18 with 8' ceilings.

After listening for about an hour using two sample discs of music I know well ranging from classical to folk to jazz to soft and harder rock, my friend and I (who have listened to lots of stereos together over the years) came away with the same conclusions:

High-End: We thought the 1038BE had a slightly more open/engaging high-end but - and it is a big but - that the beryllium tweeter was prone to hitting certain harsh points every so often. Not in every song, mind you, but too much for it to be ignored. Since there was no harshness at all on the 803D3 diamond tweeter we agreed that the B&W tweeter provided an overall better experience.

Mids: Both speakers had nice mids although we both thought the slightly more forward B&W mid was an overall stronger performer (since it somehow seemed better balanced into the overall sound).

Lows: There really was no contest here. The B&Ws were markedly tighter and clearer.

So what did all this mean. It was time to trade in my 1038BEs for a new set of 803D3s. I did and I could not be happier. Don't get me wrong, the Focasl are excellent; they simply are not as tight, balanced, or enjoyable as the B&Ws.

Finally, and for what it is worth, I got a chance to hear the 802D3s vs the 803D3s at another high-end store in a room that had just about the same dimensions as mine. The reason for this "before I pulled the trigger" face-off was to make sure I wasn't making a mistake by moving down from the 802D3s to the 803D3s. Interestingly enough, and in this size room, the 803D3s sounded significantly cleaner and tighter. While I have no doubt that given a larger room I would have loved the 802D3s (and that there would be some advantages over the smaller 803D3s), in the room size I was buying for, the 803D3s were not only less expensive but significantly better sounding. If ever there was a "poster-child example" of needing to avoid buying too much speaker for a given room-size this was it. I share this solely so that anyone choosing between these speakers at least considers their room size and tries to hear each speaker in a comparable setting. I was sure glad I did.

Hoping this helps as you find the right speaker for you (and as I thoroughly enjoy the new B&Ws).
Old 03-03-2016, 12:05 AM

Hahaha...

Just that 802d3 are awesome
Old 03-03-2016, 12:19 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Chaybone... Welcome to AA!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 03-03-2016, 10:41 AM

It is worth noting that despite what appears to be a cruel and unusual load in the measurements section (a unique way of measuring a loudspeaker,) the reviewer had great results using a 35W/70W Marantz integrated amplifier (which sells for a whopping 799 Euro.) Elsewhere in this forum, one owner of 803D3 uses a Luxman 60W integrated. Apparently, he is quite happy with the combination.

Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioA100 View Post
Boulder should be a nice amp to drive the 802d3 although I haven't listened to a Boulder before.

Whether a pair of d2 or d3, high current direct-coupled power amps are required to bring every bit of the bass potential and soundstage to you, so as to have open and spacious high. Hence various results can be misleading with people on the internet saying new d3 has more bass, better soundstage in a dealer's place compared to their own without knowing that he could get a better sound from his 802d2 with an amp better fit with his speakers.

I read the Hifi news of March, a 803d3 can dip to 1.1Ohm at 82hz. Not every amp will get you same good feeling about the sound vs the look. It's not about how much power you have to drive it, it's about how the electronics working behavior of the amp is to handle it. 600W Mc601 isn't good to get deeper bass out of it, a constant current amp, e.g. Krill FBP, designed by Dan d'agostino, or the kind, 100-300w is probably one's better choice.