AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wyred 4 Sound

Wyred 4 Sound Rediscover Your Music

Old 05-23-2011, 01:52 AM
Remembering Dan

Default Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 review

It has been 10 days since the arrival of the Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 Digital to Analog converter that was so generously passed along to me by fellow AA member Reg (aka BearCubinNY); and 4 days since the installation of the new cabling very generously contributed by Ivan. The cables are a Wire world Starlight 6 Coaxial digital cable to connect the digital output of my McIntosh MCD7009 CD player to the new DAC, and Wire World Oasis 6 Balanced XLR Audio interconnects to connect the analog outputs of the DAC to my McIntosh C40 control center’s balanced line inputs. As most of you know, I kind of improvised with existing cabling I had on hand in order to get the DAC up and running prior to the arrival of the new cables supplied by Ivan. As most of you also know, I was extremely impressed with the DAC’s audio performance from the outset, with still further improvements noted after installing the new cables. I promised a more in-depth review once I’d had a chance to become more familiarized with the unit’s features, and evaluate its audio performance more fully once things were really “tweaked”. What I hope to convey here is not only my overall impression of its audio performance, but also why I feel that the DAC-2 is a first-rate, and very unique product that deserves serious consideration by anyone looking to improve their system’s digital source. For purposes of this review, I’ll need to limit my discussion to its performance through its coaxial inputs only, as I have not yet explored the USB, Toslink, I2S or AES/EBU inputs. This is a very versatile unit, with a total of 6 digital inputs.

Before I discuss the unit’s features and audio performance, I’d like to go into a bit of my system’s history and its arrangement, and how that relates to the DAC-2 being a perfect solution in my situation. Those of you that know me and are familiar with my system know that my system is rather a blend of current day products, or pretty close to it (i.e. McIntosh MC501’s) and old-school gear and philosophies (i.e. vintage JBL and analog signal processors). The aim is to have the best of today’s technologies, along with the older-school concepts to produce an overall sound that is big, detailed, musical, and with that warm and “delicious” quality that many of us crave here. I’m also a huge McIntosh fan, and don’t like a grainy, edgy, “sterile”, or “analytical” etc type of sound. In 1998, I tried a Krell KAV-300cd digital player in my system, and returned it the next day because it lacked those qualities that I prefer. It was then I brought home the McIntosh MCD7009, which has kept me happy for 13 years. I told myself then that I would not make that mistake again, purchasing anything other than McIntosh as a primary component.

But digital technology and DAC’s march along, and I knew it. McIntosh introduced the mighty MCD1000/MDA1000 combo, with its stunning cosmetics and audio performance. I’d heard this combo at Ivan’s house, but of course in that environment you’re hearing the entire “Dare to dream” system, and then some! You really don’t know how much difference one component might make until you hear said component in your own system. Nevertheless, I pondered. Even if I could afford the steep price of the combo, where would I put it? I was pretty much out of real estate, unless I wanted to stack the pair farther away from my main rig, where by now I have a McIntosh lighted sign. I didn’t want to move that. And even if I could afford just the MDA1000 DAC, it’s too large, and really isn’t going to match my MCD7009 cosmetically. What could the answer be? A single box solution naturally comes to mind, but even the McIntosh MCD500 retails at $6500, or about $4000 in the used market.

Then along comes Dan (aka jdandy) for a visit, bringing with him one of his MCD500 players. The idea here was to impress upon me what the addition of a more up to date DAC might do for my system. As the very first notes of a familiar disc began playing, I knew that my MCD7009 had been easily trumped by the MCD500 with its ESS Sabre 24 bit quad balanced DAC’s. The presentation was far smoother, relaxed, while being much more revealing at the same time. We also connected my MCD7009’s digital output to one of the MCD500’s digital inputs, with similar results. It was right about here that Dan started pitching the idea of the Wyred 4 Sound DAC 2 as a very viable alternative, for a very reasonable cost ($1500). And, it utilizes the very latest ESS 32 bit Sabre quad balanced DAC’s. I was skeptical from the start. Where’s the McIntosh logo? Where is the black glass? It’s still another box…and I don‘t (or I’m not supposed to) have room for another box. After a fun afternoon of listening and talking, Dan packed up his MCD500 and left. Skeptical as I was, I started thinking, and started looking into this Wyred 4 Sound DAC. Soon, I started to see that this might just be the ticket. Aside from its performance potential and other features, it has two things going for it: its price, and its SIZE. While I don’t have the room for another full-sized component, perhaps I could find a spot for this little fellow, which is only 8-½” wide x 4-1/8” high x 13-½” deep. Perhaps right next to my turntable?

I started reading more about this unit, and reading reviews, including the one sent to me by Dan in the February issue of The Absolute Sound. The reviews are all quite good. I started thinking more and more that this is the way to go. As we look at the way the unit is designed, we see more and more positive aspects. After all, we know that the latest DAC chip does not necessarily make a great DAC-the circuitry around it is also very important. A quality, well regulated power supply with adequate filtration, shielding, and discrete analog output circuitry (rather than op-amps) are all desirable attributes in a DAC. The DAC-2 passes all of these tests-with an over designed power supply, with three stages of filtration and at least 88,000 uf of filtration (I’ve seen conflicting numbers here, 88,000 uF by one account and 115,000 uF in another). I shone my flashlight inside the unit and I see four large filter caps stamped with 22,000 uF- so whatever the case, I think it’s safe to say the unit is well filtered. Inside also resides a large torodial power transformer, an analog board with an upgradeable digital board piggy-backed on top of it, and high quality analog and digital connectors.

Photo courtesy of wyred4sound.com

Photos courtesy of sixmoons.com

The overall unit is very well constructed, with a nice blue readout on the front with variable brightness. The unit also comes with a basic remote control, and an installation disc with asynchronous USB 2.0 drivers. Not only do I start thinking this is the way to go, but I also begin to re-think the one-box (expensive box) solution and its practicality (or lack of it) in view of how rapidly digital technology evolves. I’m thinking-the DAC-2 is the correct route, and maybe even someday replace the MCD7009 with a (used) MCD1000 transport. We could have our cake and eat it too, for about half the price of the newer McIntosh MCD1100, which also uses the ESS 32 bit Sabre DAC.

Then along comes Dan‘s glowing review of his new MCD1100. This really begins to underscore the desirability of the ESS Sabre 32 bit DAC, but it also starts mixing me up-here is the player of players, all in one box, from McIntosh. I’m thinking again, do you really want two boxes? But the price is too steep!

Facing many financial challenges, I start to forget the whole thing….and along comes Reg, who had been reading my posts about the DAC-2 and how I was really wanting one of these. Although he was pleased with the sound of the DAC-2, he had decided he wanted a unit that did both D-A conversion and A-D conversion. He decides, much to my delight, to send me his DAC-2. Not only was I incredibly surprised and delighted, it brought me back to my senses, and real quick!!

Now for the really fun part. After a rather hasty initial setup, I slip in a disc-Gordon Lightfoot’s The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. Immediately, I have the same impression I had when Dan brought over his MCD500-a very relaxed, detailed, refined, and very musical presentation. With disc after disc, I am very impressed with this new level of performance. In many respects, I feel like I could simply copy and paste portions of Dan’s review of the MCD1100 here, as much of what he said about that player applies here. I hear deeper into the music, micro details emerging from total silence, delicate shifts in the stereo image that I never noticed before are apparent, instruments and voices are precisely placed in the soundstage. Not just say, in the middle, but in a wide arc in front of you. All without any graininess or fatigue. The image is high, wide and deep. The dynamics are very impressive. Separation of multiple voices are very distinct, with no smearing. The voices in Emerson, Lake and Palmer’s Lucky Man are perfectly delineated. Elton John’s Blessed comes forth with nuances and tiny shifts in the stereo image I hadn’t heard before. Classical music is equally enjoyable. If you are a Pink Floyd fan, Comfortably Numb is quite an experience, both powerful and delicate. And yes, it has a “delicious” quality about it. Having never had the pleasure of the heavyweight DAC’s residing in my system, I can’t say for sure whether it is as smooth and “analog” sounding as the mighty MDA1000, but it definitely is not “edgy” at all, and “analog” is the word that often comes to my mind as I listen to it. And, very revealing. To borrow a phrase from The Absolute Sound’s review of the DAC-2, it is "both arresting and involving".

I’d like to say a word also about the unit’s flexibility. The unit includes a 32 bit, 70 step digital volume control. The unit can be set in the setup menu to operate either at a fixed volume level, or variable, which can be remote controlled. I likely won’t be using the variable mode or the remote volume, as I don’t especially like the idea of a digital volume control, per se. However, there are some things to be said about the way this is set up. First, Wyred 4 sound recommends that the user evaluate the volume level in the fixed mode (which by default is set at the maximum value of 70) to see if it is too loud for the system preamp (if you are using one). If the fixed volume level is too loud, then one can reduce the maximum (fixed) volume level setting incrementally, until one finds that “sweet spot” for the system preamp. After a few days of listening using the balanced outputs, I did find that the output level was indeed a bit too potent. So, after some experimentation, I’ve settled on a maximum level setting of 65. In actuality, although it’s been said that a digital volume control drops bits to reduce level, I have found this slightly lower setting to actually improve apparent detail. After all, you can expect some smearing if you are overdriving circuits. Secondly, while it may be nice to have an analog volume control in the output stage, with the way the DAC-2 is set up, one can set the maximum (and minimum) volume settings for each type of input. Hence, you could use a setting of 65 for the coax inputs, 70 for the USB, etc. I see this as a very flexible feature that could be very useful if you are using multiple sources.

Lastly, in recent days some comments have been made on AA that the DAC-2 is not much for looks. If you are looking for a full-sized component that looks like a McIntosh, I suppose that might be true. But take it from a die-hard McIntosh fan, there is nothing really wrong with the appearance of this unit. It is very well constructed, and you even have a choice of colors. And, its compact size can work to one’s advantage, as it did in my case. I really like the way it looks in my system, with its black face and pretty blue readout:

Once I have a chance to explore further the additional inputs and capabilities of the DAC-2 with hi-res downloads, etc, I will report back further.

I would encourage anyone looking for an upgrade to their digital source to give the Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 some serious consideration. If price is any consideration, this is a sure winner.

Speaking for myself, I don’t know how my digital front end could be much better-though I have to admit, I do find myself dreaming of that MCD1000 transport to compliment this premium DAC.

My thanks again to Reg, Ivan, Dan, and all my friends here.

Pete

No. 35

Main System: VPI Prime Signature TT in Rosewood, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Stillpoints LP1 V2, McIntosh: MP100, MR78, MCD1000 Transport on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MDA1000 D/A Converter on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MS750 Music Server, C40, MC501's (3), Soundcraftsmen: DC2215 Eq/AS1000 Real time analyzer, DBX 3BX II, Carver C9, Nakamichi Dragon, Crown SX724, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), Sony XBR55X900E 4K TV, JBL L220A's, JBL B460, Sumo Delilah active crossover, WireWorld Silver Eclipse audio interconnects, WireWorld Starlight and Silver Starlight Coaxial Digital interconnects, Wireworld SuperNova 7 Toslink digital interconnect, WireWorld Aurora 7 and Silver Electra Power cords, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-Ray Player, Bryson BUC-1 USB Converter, Wireworld Gold Starlight XLR Digital interconnect, PS Audio Direct Stream Power Plant 12 on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, PS Audio Dectect, FuruTech Flux-50 NCF Inline Power Filter, Add-Powr Wizard EM Field AC Line conditioner; Stillpoint Ultra SS's under (3) McIntosh MC501 Amplifiers

Florida Room/Art Studio System: Harmon Kardon T60 TT/Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh: MR77, C32, MC2205; Crown Power Line Four, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 Digital to Analog converter, Soundcraftsmen AE2000 Eq, JBL 4313B's, JBL 2241-based Sub, JBL BX63A Active Crossover, Oppo BDP-105D Blu-Ray Player, Samsung 5500 Series 32" Smart TV, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna

Master Bedroom System: McIntosh: MX120 Theater processor, MC206 6-channel amplifier; MR74 AM/FM Tuner, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, JVC HM-DH40000U D-Theater Digital VHS, Phase Technology PC80 Towers (now used as stands), (2) JBL 4401's, (1) JBL Studio 6IW speaker, (2) JBL Studio 6IC speakers, Sony XBR-49X900E UHD TV, Panamax 1000 Line Conditioner, (2) JL Audio E110 Subwoofers, Wireworld Solstice speaker cables, Wireworld Aurora Power cords, Wireworld Equinox and Solstice speaker cables and various other flavors of Wireworld and Audioquest cabling

Office System: Marantz 150 Tuner, Crown DL 2, Crown EQ 2, Crown SA 2, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), McIntosh MCD7009 (as transport), DBX 3BX Series II, Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray player, JBL 4401's, JL Audio E112 Subwoofer, Samsung 5500 series 32" Smart TV, Wire World Oasis audio interconnects, Wire World Solstice speaker cables, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 DSDse Digital to Analog converter, Wireworld Starlight Coaxial Digital Interconnect, Sennheiser HD800 Headphones, Sennheiser HDVA600 Headphone amp, Wireworld Silver Eclipse Balanced Interconnects, Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB Cable, Add-Powr EAU-2 AC Harmonic resonator

High Resolution Source: HP Omen 17" Gaming Laptop

Last edited by Vintage Pete; 07-06-2011 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Improved system photos
Old 05-23-2011, 03:10 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Pete.......I can't help but smile while reading your excellent review of the Wyred4Sound DAC2. Being the culprit who planted the W4S seed in your brain, I have to admit what a great pleasure it is that Reg made that tiny seed grow into a mighty oak. It is clear from your review that you are thoroughly enjoying the DAC2. It's obvious the performance is beyond what you anticipated when you first began to consider the notion of owning the Wyred4Sound DAC2. I am so happy for you. Keep those disc's spinning.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 05-23-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:39 AM

Hey Pete, great review! Here's to you having many years of enjoyment!

Reg
TT-2: JA Michelle Gyro SE, SME IV.Vi, Lyra Helikon Mono Cart, HR Power Supply
Phono Stage-1: Aesthetix Io Eclipse
Phono Stage-2: Channel D - Seta Model L
Server-1: Sooloos Control15 / 808.3 CDP / MD600 2x3TB / TwinStore 2x3TB / MS600
Server-2: Mac Pro (16G RAM), 2x3Ghz, Quad Core, 4 SSD Drives (Hirez, AIFF)
Software: Amarra 2.3/Amarra Vinyl/Pure Vinyl 3.0 NAS: NetGear READYNAS PRO (4Tb, ALAC)
ADC & DAC: Amarra Model 4 (Sonic Studio Badged: Metric Halo LIO-8 + DSP)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Stradavari (2) Sub's: JL Audio Fathom f113 (2)
Power: PS Audio PPP (4)
Isolation: HRS-MXR Racks (2), SRA Amp Stands (4), Sound Anchor Sub Stands (2)
Room Treatments:(Diffusion): RPG Hemiffusor W1 (Bass Absorption): RealTraps
Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse 6.0 XLR's & SC's, Silver Electra PC's
Old 05-23-2011, 07:43 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Most impressive review Pete, not only does it warm my heart that AA was the conduit for this to happen, but that I too had a small role in making this experience even better.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES

Last edited by Masterlu; 05-23-2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:53 AM
Remembering Vintage Pete

Great review Pete-
Don't we all want one now?
Old 05-23-2011, 09:13 AM

Makes me want to pull the trigger on one. Thanks for the review.

Preamps/tuners:McIntosh C50, C46, MR88, MR73, C2200, C22ce, Cary SPL-98L
Integrate amps:McIntosh MA6100, Denon PMA2000ivr
Amps: McIntosh Mc602, Mc2000, Mc275 MK-V, Cary 805ae mono blocks.
Speakers: JMLab Mezzo Utopia, Focal Twin6 BE, Tannoy Mini Autograph
Headphones: Sennheiser HD800, Beyer T1, Denon D7000, Grado RS1i, Sony MDR-SA5000, MDR-Z1000, AKG K701, and many many more
Digital Sources:Sony SCD-1 & SCD777es, CDP-XA7es, 2010 Mac Mini Music Server, Amarra Mini player, Musical Fidelity V-Link & M1 DAC, Apogee Mini-DAC & Duet 2
Old 05-23-2011, 09:51 AM

Wonderful review Pete - Nice to know there is a more affordable alternative to the MCD500 or MCD1100.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:35 AM
Remembering Dan

Thank you gentlemen....it was more than a pleasure to write the review.

Jeff......yes, the fact there is an affordable alternative to say, the MCD500 and MCD1100 is a very nice thing to know. The device is very well conceived and executed. As I recall, one of the reviews I read, comparing the DAC-2 to some of the "heavyweights", likened it to David and Goliath. Or, as The Absolute Sound put it, the DAC-2 is "very nearly a giant killer".

Pete

No. 35

Main System: VPI Prime Signature TT in Rosewood, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Stillpoints LP1 V2, McIntosh: MP100, MR78, MCD1000 Transport on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MDA1000 D/A Converter on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MS750 Music Server, C40, MC501's (3), Soundcraftsmen: DC2215 Eq/AS1000 Real time analyzer, DBX 3BX II, Carver C9, Nakamichi Dragon, Crown SX724, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), Sony XBR55X900E 4K TV, JBL L220A's, JBL B460, Sumo Delilah active crossover, WireWorld Silver Eclipse audio interconnects, WireWorld Starlight and Silver Starlight Coaxial Digital interconnects, Wireworld SuperNova 7 Toslink digital interconnect, WireWorld Aurora 7 and Silver Electra Power cords, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-Ray Player, Bryson BUC-1 USB Converter, Wireworld Gold Starlight XLR Digital interconnect, PS Audio Direct Stream Power Plant 12 on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, PS Audio Dectect, FuruTech Flux-50 NCF Inline Power Filter, Add-Powr Wizard EM Field AC Line conditioner; Stillpoint Ultra SS's under (3) McIntosh MC501 Amplifiers

Florida Room/Art Studio System: Harmon Kardon T60 TT/Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh: MR77, C32, MC2205; Crown Power Line Four, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 Digital to Analog converter, Soundcraftsmen AE2000 Eq, JBL 4313B's, JBL 2241-based Sub, JBL BX63A Active Crossover, Oppo BDP-105D Blu-Ray Player, Samsung 5500 Series 32" Smart TV, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna

Master Bedroom System: McIntosh: MX120 Theater processor, MC206 6-channel amplifier; MR74 AM/FM Tuner, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, JVC HM-DH40000U D-Theater Digital VHS, Phase Technology PC80 Towers (now used as stands), (2) JBL 4401's, (1) JBL Studio 6IW speaker, (2) JBL Studio 6IC speakers, Sony XBR-49X900E UHD TV, Panamax 1000 Line Conditioner, (2) JL Audio E110 Subwoofers, Wireworld Solstice speaker cables, Wireworld Aurora Power cords, Wireworld Equinox and Solstice speaker cables and various other flavors of Wireworld and Audioquest cabling

Office System: Marantz 150 Tuner, Crown DL 2, Crown EQ 2, Crown SA 2, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), McIntosh MCD7009 (as transport), DBX 3BX Series II, Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray player, JBL 4401's, JL Audio E112 Subwoofer, Samsung 5500 series 32" Smart TV, Wire World Oasis audio interconnects, Wire World Solstice speaker cables, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 DSDse Digital to Analog converter, Wireworld Starlight Coaxial Digital Interconnect, Sennheiser HD800 Headphones, Sennheiser HDVA600 Headphone amp, Wireworld Silver Eclipse Balanced Interconnects, Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB Cable, Add-Powr EAU-2 AC Harmonic resonator

Old 05-23-2011, 11:24 AM

Thanks for the review Pete. I too have had this DAC for a few months and couldn't have put it any better. I use it as a preamp connected to a Wyred ST500 amp. I really enjoy the combo but can't help to think I'm missing something by not having a quality preamp in the chain.

Did you by chance use it as a preamp without hooking it up to your Mac gear?

Awesome system btw!!!

Doug
Old 05-23-2011, 11:40 AM
Remembering Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerman View Post
Thanks for the review Pete. I too have had this DAC for a few months and couldn't have put it any better. I use it as a preamp connected to a Wyred ST500 amp. I really enjoy the combo but can't help to think I'm missing something by not having a quality preamp in the chain.

Did you by chance use it as a preamp without hooking it up to your Mac gear?

Awesome system btw!!!

Doug
Doug....Thanks. No, I have not used the DAC-2 as a standalone preamp (connected directly to amplifiers). To run my system without a full preamp is not something I would ever consider doing, nor could I even if I wanted to. I have too much going on in my system, and too many analog sources to be able to do that. To each his own, but I am very definitely a "preamp" kind of guy. Very often, I see people try that and say the same thing you did...and end up going back to having a system preamp. I really believe there is too much to be missed out on by not having a quality preamp/control center in the chain.

Pete

No. 35