AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 03-06-2018, 11:00 AM

Hi Craig....After giving this some thought you might want to re-position your speakers first. Although Stillpoints have been said by some to thin out the sound of their system I don't believe it's a fault of Stillpoints I believe they just clean up the sound by removing vibrations.

Maybe back up you speakers closer to the wall an inch or two at a time.

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:54 AM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophilehi View Post
Hi Craig....After giving this some thought you might want to re-position your speakers first. Although Stillpoints have been said by some to thin out the sound of their system I don't believe it's a fault of Stillpoints I believe they just clean up the sound by removing vibrations.

Maybe back up you speakers closer to the wall an inch or two at a time.

That is opening a can of worms and something I may do, but it won’t be the first.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 03-06-2018, 12:54 PM

I know this is super painful to do but I wait a week or more before doing multiple changes. Even positioning speakers is a multi day event.

It sounds like everyone else is saying, back a few changes off sit down and really absorb the sound. Often time the shock of a change can be so great we don't like it. But it might take a week for us to adapt to the 'new normal'. We as listeners are a biased bunch. When we are chasing and idea of what something should sound like and sometimes we get there but don't realize it because it's so much different than our past point of calibration.

Mods, just as much as our ears and brains, need time to break in and find that new point of synergy.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:14 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwinaj View Post
I know this is super painful to do but I wait a week or more before doing multiple changes. Even positioning speakers is a multi day event.

It sounds like everyone else is saying, back a few changes off sit down and really absorb the sound. Often time the shock of a change can be so great we don't like it. But it might take a week for us to adapt to the 'new normal'. We as listeners are a biased bunch. When we are chasing and idea of what something should sound like and sometimes we get there but don't realize it because it's so much different than our past point of calibration.

Mods, just as much as our ears and brains, need time to break in and find that new point of synergy.

Yep!!! Made one change today and will let it settle for a time.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 03-06-2018, 09:02 PM

Don't settle for less than being thrilled with the music. At these price points set your goals very high.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:54 PM
Semi-audiophile

Hi crwilli,

I agree with the one at a time approach. As someone who was chasing a particular sound myself (i.e. the weightier low-end I had using a solid-state preamp), I entered the world of tube rolling on my 2300 chasing that sound. I think I have settled on Telefunken Black Diamonds (made by JJ) as my tube of choice, with the JJ High Performance Gold Pins I used before as my back-up. As for Gold Lions, I found them to be lighter on the low end in my system (they had about 83–87 hours on them when they were removed). I admit, I haven't ruled out the idea of a return to solid-state completely (meaning a C52), but I'm content to roll (no pun intended) with the BDs for now. And I, too, have a setlist of specific tracks I use, some off DVD, some CD, to listen for and gauge differences. I always start with them.

One other thing: I found a big improvement by changing out the power cord on my preamp. That change by itself made a more than noticeable improvement in the sound of my system. And I wasn't even doing it for that! I wanted a more stable IEC grip, but the improvement in sound was a welcome bonus. So that's another place to try tweaks, based upon my experience.

You've got great equipment, so once you track down the culprit(s) and stabilize things I'm sure you'll be smiling. It may involve a bit more research before making moves, but worth it in the end.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 03-08-2018, 09:24 PM
Racing Hoopties

So I have been listening to my system with no changes for a day or so. Tonight after warm up and in the middle of an album, I remembered that I had also changed the setting of my P10 from SINE to MULTIWave a week ago. Just so happens that corresponds pretty well with my decision to start this thread.

Remember, I have my entire system running off the P10. Well, switching back to SINE brought an immediate improvement that I didn’t really believe. I listened to another album and switched it back - didn’t like what I heard. The stage gets smaller and I loose dynamics.

That caused me to search the PSAudio sub-forum where I learned a little about what Multiwave is. Not sure why but it degrades the sound of my system. Don’t know if it is the impact on my digital front end, analogue PreAmp or my MC2301 amplifiers but don’t care either.

In SINE mode, the P10 is allowing my system to enthrall me with Robert Lens’ Fragile album as I type this.

Headed to Pink Floyd next.

It’s back!

Thanks for the ideas and for putting up with my paranoia.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:32 PM

Good to know, I’m going to check mine when I get home. Glad you back in the happy room
Old 03-10-2018, 07:45 PM

Default Too much Too soon?

Craig,

Glad you found the Mojo again! So for clarification, the Stillpoints and GoldLions are back in play and the only difference since starting this thread is Sine vs Multiwave?

Last edited by Cohibaman; 03-10-2018 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:51 PM
Greetings from NC

Thumbs Up!
Two Channel: McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 amps x2, MR88 tuner, MEN220; Esoteric K-03X; Aurender N100C 4TB; B&W 802D2 Diamonds, JL Audio F113V2 x 2 on Sound Anchor Sub Stands; VPI Classic Signature Piano Black, Ortofon Cadenza Black, VPI SDS, periphery ring, StillPoints center weight, Gingko Audio ClaraVu Dust Cover CT, KAB SpeedStrobe, Dr. Feickert Analogue Protractor; Sonos with W4S digital modification to W4S Remedy to Esoteric; W4S PS1 Linear Power unit for the 2x Remedy and Recovery w/ W4S PS1 Power Cord; Torus RM20; Wireworld Silver Series 7 Electra/Starlight/Eclipse cables and WW Platinum Power Cord for Amps and Platinum USB for Aurender; KLAUDIO RCM; Steve Blinn Designs extra wide three shelf rack; GIK Acoustics panels and bass traps, StillPoints Ultra Minis under all gear and Stillpoint Ultra SS under amps and speakers.
Home Theater 7.2: McIntosh MX150, MC452, MC207; B&W 803D2 Diamonds, HTM2 center, CWM7.3 surrounds; JLAudio F112 x2 subs; Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 65" Studio Master Plasma; Oppo 205; Crown FM Two Tuner; Sonos with W4S Remedy; Apple TV; Furman Elite 20 amp PFi x2; WW and AQ Cables/Cords; Salamander Synergy Four Bay Cabinet
Office 2ch with McIntosh vintage refurbished gear: McIntosh MC275V6 x2 tube amps; Klipsch Cornwall I vintage speakers (1982); AQ Dragonfly Red DAC/Jitterbug/cables; PS Audio Dectet Power Center; Mcintosh C28, MC2105, MR78 (with mod), MQ101, each with original walnut cabinet and panloc (1976), MCD7008 (1996), ML1C speakers (1976); Bang & Olufsen Beogram 4002 turntable (1976) with new SoundSmith SMMC20CL cartridge (2015); Salamander double rack