AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 10-07-2019, 06:01 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Dan, I couldn't agree more with you. Out of respect for the Dag or ARC folks driving Wilsons I always defer and respectfully state that they are Macs superior, but in my heart I know better. Mac has a house sound both tube and SS that you can fall in love with. "Liguid gold to my ears" is hard to improve upon and that is what I hear also. May you enjoy these absolutely beautiful amps forever! IMO, they are the BEST.
Charles.......Yes, like you I respect a number of audio manufacturers who are producing remarkable audio components. I have been tempted on more than one occasion to move from McIntosh but my dedication to their amplifiers and preamplifiers keeps me in the fold. My first McIntosh amplifiers were a pair of MC30 mono tube amplifiers I purchased in 1968. Since that time I have had McIntosh in my home in one system or another. I have owned my share of other preamplifiers, power amplifiers, and integrated amplifiers, but McIntosh has been present in my homes through all these years. With more than seven decades of water under my bridge I suspect McIntosh will continue to be present in my home to my final day. For me it is the sound of music.

Through the years two friends who owned McIntosh gear were lured to other audio manufacturer's gear in their quests to "improve" their sound systems. I saw many different preamps and amps come and go through their sound systems, Conrad-Johnson, Audio Research, Balanced Audio Technology, Pass Labs, Parasound, and others, then the coup de gras happened, a return to McIntosh. Both have said to me that returning to McIntosh was like coming home after a long journey. I can't help but think of all the money they spent chasing a sound they already had. I can't really criticize their actions based on money because I have also allowed an enormous amount of money pass through my hands, although to my credit it was primarily spent on McIntosh components. At any rate, I encourage everyone to audition McIntosh products, especially their preamplifiers and power amplifiers. With 70 years of expertise building these products, McIntosh has fine tuned the notion of high-end to an art. Even at their current price points their audio components still represent remarkable bang for the buck, especially standing shoulder to shoulder with other high-end manufacturers whose amps and preamps range in price two to three times more. Liquid gold to my ears perfectly describes what McIntosh has provided me for many decades. The old axiom is true, "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 10-07-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:10 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmarosa View Post
Dan,

A week ago I purchased a C500T. Now, I was thinking about a MC275, (beautiful, mythical, available, not so expensive)...........

And today, I find your post......... Do you really want to kill me ?

Congratulations for your 75´s !!!
Jose.......No, I'm not trying to kill you, but thanks for the laugh. .

Sounds to me like you have a good plan. The McIntosh C500T is a wonderful tube preamplifier that will sound amazing with the MC275. I hope you are looking at the newest MC275 Mk VI because it has been upgraded by McIntosh design and engineering to address the low frequency range control. It is the MC275 to own, plus it provides Sentry Monitor to protect the amp from power tube failures, and Power Control that allows the amp to be turned on and off from the preamp. You won't be disappointed. If you must, you can always move to the MC75's at a future date.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 10-07-2019, 09:50 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweet View Post
Dan,

Nice move. I bought a pair of McIntosh power control cables for my MC75s when I had them in the rack for the same reason. They are very nice looking IMO and give the business end of the amps an elegant, high quality appearance. Enjoy.

I did not even think twice and bought those when I owned McIntosh, and still use both of them serving trigger duty on my current monos.

Better solid weighted termination.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:24 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by For The Love of Music View Post
I did not even think twice and bought those when I owned McIntosh, and still use both of them serving trigger duty on my current monos.

Better solid weighted termination.
Ed.......These are the first McIntosh cables I ever bought. They certainly look good in the photos, and I am confident McIntosh quality will be reflected in the cables. I have my fingers crossed they will arrive Wednesday. They're going to look so much nicer than the low-end control cables I'm currently using.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:59 PM
Listener in Training

Dan,
Great review (as always), and I enjoyed reading through the whole thread tonight. Glad to hear you are getting, if not as much as from your studio system, a great amount of pleasure from your living room system.

And hey, who knows, those Mc trigger wires may be a nanosecond faster than the ones you have today!

Enjoy in good health.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 10-08-2019, 08:44 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80B View Post
Dan,
Great review (as always), and I enjoyed reading through the whole thread tonight. Glad to hear you are getting, if not as much as from your studio system, a great amount of pleasure from your living room system.

And hey, who knows, those Mc trigger wires may be a nanosecond faster than the ones you have today!

Enjoy in good health.
Paul.......Thank you. I have been having so much fun with the living room sound system that I have sort of been ignoring the studio sound system. One system isn't really better than the other, just slightly different spices in the final results. The newness of the MC75's and the tweaking I have been doing with them will reach a turning point, then the studio system will be back in regular rotation. Both sound systems are exceptional.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:39 AM

I think you need a C1100 to compliment those 75s!

Last edited by RaceCarDriver; 04-29-2020 at 01:06 AM.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Jose.......No, I'm not trying to kill you, but thanks for the laugh. .

Sounds to me like you have a good plan. The McIntosh C500T is a wonderful tube preamplifier that will sound amazing with the MC275. I hope you are looking at the newest MC275 Mk VI because it has been upgraded by McIntosh design and engineering to address the low frequency range control. It is the MC275 to own, plus it provides Sentry Monitor to protect the amp from power tube failures, and Power Control that allows the amp to be turned on and off from the preamp. You won't be disappointed. If you must, you can always move to the MC75's at a future date.
Yes, Dan,

I am looking for a brand new Mk VI to move my Dynaudio Contour 1.8 MK II (you know, only 86db). My dealer is sure the 275 will move this loudspeakers without problems. I´m quite sure too. Today I'm using an integrated tube amplifier, Unison Research P70, with the C500T. Sounds loud and clear....

But, with your permission, I insist; your 75´s photos are killing me.....

Chema.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:29 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmarosa View Post
Yes, Dan,

I am looking for a brand new Mk VI to move my Dynaudio Contour 1.8 MK II (you know, only 86db). My dealer is sure the 275 will move this loudspeakers without problems. I´m quite sure too. Today I'm using an integrated tube amplifier, Unison Research P70, with the C500T. Sounds loud and clear....

But, with your permission, I insist; your 75´s photos are killing me.....
Chema.......Pardon me for not using your proper nickname. It's been so long since we last chatted I forgot.

The Unison Research P70 integrated amp (70 watts per channel) is very close in power to the McIntosh MC275 Mk VI power amplifier, so if you are satisfied with the volume and dynamics of it powering your Dyn's then you will be happy with the MC275. Actually, the MC275 bench tests show the amp is able to deliver 90 watts per channel. Since McIntosh states that their power specifications are minimum results, it is typical for McIntosh power amplifiers to produce higher output than advertised specs. The McIntosh C500T and the MC275 will be a perfect match and should make your Dynaudio Contour 1.8 MK II speakers sing beautifully.

Old 10-08-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Chema.......Pardon me for not using your proper nickname. It's been so long since we last chatted I forgot.

The Unison Research P70 integrated amp (70 watts per channel) is very close in power to the McIntosh MC275 Mk VI power amplifier, so if you are satisfied with the volume and dynamics of it powering your Dyn's then you will be happy with the MC275. Actually, the MC275 bench tests show the amp is able to deliver 90 watts per channel. Since McIntosh states that their power specifications are minimum results, it is typical for McIntosh power amplifiers to produce higher output than advertised specs. The McIntosh C500T and the MC275 will be a perfect match and should make your Dynaudio Contour 1.8 MK II speakers sing beautifully.

Thank`s again, Dan

And please don´t worry, Chema or José are the same name here.