AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 02-22-2015, 11:10 AM

Default Which Shunyata Configuration for Devialet?

I'm looking at making some changes to my system, and looking at various configurations. One configuration I'm considering is going the Devialet route, but I need to demo.

If I were to move to Devialet 800 mono blocks, what would be the appropriate Shunyata power conditioner and power cord configuration? Since the Devialet is "digital", would I factor getting the HYDRA DPC-6? If so, what are the appropriate cables/cords to match?

Caelin, if I remember correctly, you are using Devialet. Do you mind sharing how your system is configured?

One of the reasons I'm asking these questions is I'm trying to figure out if or what changes I need to make, but want to start with proper power conditioning. I know I need to upgrade my standard wall receptacles and determine if I can have a dedicated line for high current and low current, but if I stuck with my Ayre 5 series (or upgraded to R series), would my power conditioning requirements change if I were to move to Devialet?

Aurender N10 / Ayre QX-5 Twenty / Ayre KX-R Twenty / Ayre MX-R Twenty / Wilson Sasha DAW / Isotek TITAN and EVO3 / Transparent Reference / Meze Empyrean
Old 02-22-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaboudreaux View Post
I'm looking at making some changes to my system, and looking at various configurations. One configuration I'm considering is going the Devialet route, but I need to demo. If I were to move to Devialet 800 mono blocks, what would be the appropriate Shunyata power conditioner and power cord configuration? Since the Devialet is "digital", would I factor getting the HYDRA DPC-6? If so, what are the appropriate cables/cords to match? Caelin, if I remember correctly, you are using Devialet. Do you mind sharing how your system is configured? One of the reasons I'm asking these questions is I'm trying to figure out if or what changes I need to make, but want to start with proper power conditioning. I know I need to upgrade my standard wall receptacles and determine if I can have a dedicated line for high current and low current, but if I stuck with my Ayre 5 series (or upgraded to R series), would my power conditioning requirements change if I were to move to Devialet?
Do you use a computer or music server for audio? If you use the mono blocks, what would the control center (preamp) be? What other components might be in the system?

What power conditioner and power cords do you currently own? What speaker do you use?
Old 02-22-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
Do you use a computer or music server for audio? If you use the mono blocks, what would the control center (preamp) be? What other components might be in the system?

What power conditioner and power cords do you currently own? What speaker do you use?
Caelin, thank you for your reply. Here are answers to your questions.

1) Do you use a computer or music server for audio? Currently using MacBook Pro with Tidal. I do have a mac mini using Pure Music with all hi resolution music files, but this combo is somewhat frustrating to me. I have looked into music servers (including Silenzio), but for now using Tidal with MacBook Pro until I decide what to do.

2) What other components might be in the system? If I were to go the Devialet route, I was thinking all I would need is power conditioning, the Devialet monos, and a music server. For now, lets just consider the MacBook Pro and Tidal as my music server.

3) If you use the mono blocks, what would the control center (preamp) be? I may not understand the question, but if I were to get Devialet 800 mono blocks I didn't think I needed a preamp. To my understanding, the Devialet includes, dac, preamp, and amp.

4) What power conditioner and power cords do you currently own? Currently using a SurgeX Eliminator Series. Not even sure if this conditions power, may just be for protection.

5) What speaker do you use? Currently using Sonus Faber Amati Futura.

Aurender N10 / Ayre QX-5 Twenty / Ayre KX-R Twenty / Ayre MX-R Twenty / Wilson Sasha DAW / Isotek TITAN and EVO3 / Transparent Reference / Meze Empyrean
Old 02-22-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Caelin, thank you for your reply. Here are answers to your questions. 1) Do you use a computer or music server for audio? Currently using MacBook Pro with Tidal. I do have a mac mini using Pure Music with all hi resolution music files, but this combo is somewhat frustrating to me. I have looked into music servers (including Silenzio), but for now using Tidal with MacBook Pro until I decide what to do. 2) What other components might be in the system? If I were to go the Devialet route, I was thinking all I would need is power conditioning, the Devialet monos, and a music server. For now, lets just consider the MacBook Pro and Tidal as my music server. 3) If you use the mono blocks, what would the control center (preamp) be? I may not understand the question, but if I were to get Devialet 800 mono blocks I didn't think I needed a preamp. To my understanding, the Devialet includes, dac, preamp, and amp. 4) What power conditioner and power cords do you currently own? Currently using a SurgeX Eliminator Series. Not even sure if this conditions power, may just be for protection. 5) What speaker do you use? Currently using Sonus Faber Amati Futura.

You are correct the Devialet needs no preamp. I thought it might be a pure amplifier but I looked it up and see that is a master/slave combo of two units.

If you use a computer or music server get one of our VENOM MPC-12s since it has the ability to isolate the computer components from the amplifiers. Or, if you want to go the reference route (expensive) get the TRITON and DPC-6 combo.

We make a power cord that was specifically designed for the Devialet products called the Z-PC10 Digital. It is essentially similar to the ALPHA Digital PC but with a compact IEC connector so that it plugs into the very cramped inlets on the back of the Devialet.

The SurgeX is a fabulous surge protector and we use them on our computers. However, they do not sound very good when used in a music system. I would recommend that you get "whole house" surge protection installed at the electrical entrance to your home. Use the SurgeX to protect some computer equipment and use the MPC-12 for the audio system.

I hope this helps.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
You are correct the Devialet needs no preamp. I thought it might be a pure amplifier but I looked it up and see that is a master/slave combo of two units.

If you use a computer or music server get one of our VENOM MPC-12s since it has the ability to isolate the computer components from the amplifiers. Or, if you want to go the reference route (expensive) get the TRITON and DPC-6 combo.

We make a power cord that was specifically designed for the Devialet products called the Z-PC10 Digital. It is essentially similar to the ALPHA Digital PC but with a compact IEC connector so that it plugs into the very cramped inlets on the back of the Devialet.

The SurgeX is a fabulous surge protector and we use them on our computers. However, they do not sound very good when used in a music system. I would recommend that you get "whole house" surge protection installed at the electrical entrance to your home. Use the SurgeX to protect some computer equipment and use the MPC-12 for the audio system.

I hope this helps.
Thanks again Caelin. I'm willing to go the reference route to ensure anything upstream of my system is not the weak link.

One more question if I may. It might be a while before I get to demo the Devialet 800 monos as no dealer here in Houston carries Devialet. Also, before I make any haste decisions I want to see how much my current system improves with proper power conditioning and room treatment before changing any gear. I'm going to treat my room with Vicoustics, change wall receptacles, and want to know what Shunyata product I should get now that would still work if I move to Devialet. From your earlier post, I'm assuming a TRITON would be the first item, if so, what power cord? Then TYPHON only if I stick with my Ayre gear? Or, TRITON, TYPHON, and DPC-6 regardless of Ayre or Devialet?

If these are too many questions and you would rather I speak to one of your sales guys, that would be fine, just let me know who.

Thanks again in advance.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:55 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
... Also, before I make any haste decisions I want to see how much my current system improves with proper power conditioning and room treatment before changing any gear. I'm going to treat my room with Vicoustics, ...
A very very wise decision before more component upgrades! Power, acoustics, & isolation: every audio room and component benefits from decent infrastructure.

A small thought: before committing to Vicoustics, if you have a dealer in your area that carries Stillpoints products, see if they have 3-4 of their Aperture acoustic panels they'd let you take home for a few days.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:38 AM

Thanks Tima. I'm slowly learning… mostly from all of the sage advice here on AA.

Unfortunately I'm not aware of anyone here who carries Stillpoints, but do intend to experiment with that after I address the fundamental requirements of my room and system. One reason I'm getting a quote on Vicoustics is my dealer just picked them up and he wants to do the whole Vicoustic process to his home and mine.

I'm ready to get the room treatment and need to figure out the best Shunyata configuration for my system. Then I can begin to critically evaluate the rest of my system to determine if any changes are needed.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Thanks again Caelin. I'm willing to go the reference route to ensure anything upstream of my system is not the weak link. One more question if I may. It might be a while before I get to demo the Devialet 800 monos as no dealer here in Houston carries Devialet. Also, before I make any haste decisions I want to see how much my current system improves with proper power conditioning and room treatment before changing any gear. I'm going to treat my room with Vicoustics, change wall receptacles, and want to know what Shunyata product I should get now that would still work if I move to Devialet. From your earlier post, I'm assuming a TRITON would be the first item, if so, what power cord? Then TYPHON only if I stick with my Ayre gear? Or, TRITON, TYPHON, and DPC-6 regardless of Ayre or Devialet? If these are too many questions and you would rather I speak to one of your sales guys, that would be fine, just let me know who. Thanks again in advance.
Our reference power conditioning is the HYDRA. In its ultimate configuration, it consists of three components: TRITON for power distribution, TYPHON as a performance booster and the DPC-6 as an isolation "fire wall" to computer related components. The TYPHON is a very significant addition regardless of the components you might end up getting.

Just be aware that there are some really good discounts on the TRITON v1 since the TRITON v2 is about to be released.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:49 AM

Thanks Caelin!