AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 02-28-2015, 01:52 PM

Default Shunyata with class D

I have just ordered an Anaconda Zitron to feed my Isotek Sigmas Evo 3. Before I continue to add Shunyata cables to my system I'd be interest to know if the company have any particular thoughts or advice when choosing power cables and power distributor for a class D amp. The reason for asking is I have a Jeff Rowland Continuum S2 and since a class D amp draws power from the outlet differently than a class A or A/B unit, does this means I'd be better off with a different PC set up?
I would also be interested to find out if the Hydra Triton/Typoon has any "issues" with a class D amp that would make it's contribution inferior.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue View Post
I have just ordered an Anaconda Zitron to feed my Isotek Sigmas Evo 3. Before I continue to add Shunyata cables to my system I'd be interest to know if the company have any particular thoughts or advice when choosing power cables and power distributor for a class D amp. The reason for asking is I have a Jeff Rowland Continuum S2 and since a class D amp draws power from the outlet differently than a class A or A/B unit, does this means I'd be better off with a different PC set up?
I would also be interested to find out if the Hydra Triton/Typoon has any "issues" with a class D amp that would make it's contribution inferior.
Class D amps or amps that use a SMPS generate more power line noise than a linear power supply since they "chop" the power sine wave. For this reason, these amps particularly benefit from the noise reduction provided by our noise reduction power cords. These include the Alpha Analog, Alpha HC, Sigma Analog and Sigma HC. You can use one of our older power cords with an external noise reduction solution. This would include the Venom Defender or any of the Hydra power distributors. The Hydra Cyclops which is a two outlet device was created specifically for power amplifiers and there is the new Venom AMP-1 which is an inexpensive single outlet solution that includes surge protection and noise reduction.

All Venom and Hydra power distributors are designed to be compatible with a wide range of electronic components. They are well known to be non-reactive especially when used with amplifiers. There are no negative issues when using a Hydra with class D amps - quite the contrary. We used the Roland class D amps and Bel Canto class D amps in the development process for the Hydra and Venom Products in addition to many other types of amplifiers.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:23 PM

Thank you Caelin.
Judging from your reply it seems i have ordered a cable not perfectly suited for the task. but I am confident it will be an upgrade as the excising cable is the standard 200 USD Isotek cable that comes with the box. Perhaps I'd be better off with an Alpha or Sigma....
Is it you experience that a computer is "polluting" more than a class D amp, or vice versa?
Also, does your Hydra series differ on how it addresses noice compared to for example Isotec or Isol 8 or Gigawatt?
Old 03-02-2015, 01:35 AM

Hi bigblue,
Computers, screens, NAS, SMPS wallwarts are "bad" polluters. The cure for real bad polluters is the DPC-6.

A good setup in your case could be:
Anaconda Zitron->Hydra Triton->alpha/sigma hc->continuum s2(400w class d integrated)

Add:
DPC-6 to the triton and put the worst of the worst polluters there.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Thank you Caelin. Judging from your reply it seems i have ordered a cable not perfectly suited for the task. but I am confident it will be an upgrade as the excising cable is the standard 200 USD Isotek cable that comes with the box. Perhaps I'd be better off with an Alpha or Sigma.... Is it you experience that a computer is "polluting" more than a class D amp, or vice versa? Also, does your Hydra series differ on how it addresses noice compared to for example Isotec or Isol 8 or Gigawatt?
The tech in the Hydra is patented and is unique compared to any other power distribution product.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:37 PM

Thank you Caelin for taking your time answering my questions.
In your first respons you wrote "...noise reduction provided by our noise reduction power cords. These include the Alpha Analog, Alpha HC, Sigma Analog and Sigma HC..."
Why is the Anaconda Zitron not on that list?
( I am just trying to get to grips with what cable is doing what)
Old 03-03-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Thank you Caelin for taking your time answering my questions. In your first respons you wrote "...noise reduction provided by our noise reduction power cords. These include the Alpha Analog, Alpha HC, Sigma Analog and Sigma HC..." Why is the Anaconda Zitron not on that list? ( I am just trying to get to grips with what cable is doing what)

At the time the Anaconda was made we had not developed the "distributed power conditioning" concept that includes the power cords that have noise reduction circuits built in. The first noise reduction power was the Alpha Series followed by the Sigma Series. There is also a low cost version called the Venom Digital PC.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
Class D amps or amps that use a SMPS generate more power line noise than a linear power supply since they "chop" the power sine wave. For this reason, these amps particularly benefit from the noise reduction provided by our noise reduction power cords. These include the Alpha Analog, Alpha HC, Sigma Analog and Sigma HC. You can use one of our older power cords with an external noise reduction solution. This would include the Venom Defender or any of the Hydra power distributors. The Hydra Cyclops which is a two outlet device was created specifically for power amplifiers and there is the new Venom AMP-1 which is an inexpensive single outlet solution that includes surge protection and noise reduction. All Venom and Hydra power distributors are designed to be compatible with a wide range of electronic components. They are well known to be non-reactive especially when used with amplifiers. There are no negative issues when using a Hydra with class D amps - quite the contrary. We used the Roland class D amps and Bel Canto class D amps in the development process for the Hydra and Venom Products in addition to many other types of amplifiers.
Hi Caelin,

Is there a new version of Venom Defender? Whats the diferences with the venom defender?

Thank you very much!
Old 03-08-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinibeck View Post
Hi Caelin,

Is there a new version of Venom Defender? Whats the diferences with the venom defender?

Thank you very much!
The VENOM DEFENDER has not changed. It is the same since its introduction.