AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 05-03-2011, 11:12 PM
Chief Toneologist

Default The Best Listening Session Of My Life!!!

<< Jerome - I recommend you don't read this! >>

In past two days, the Shindo Cortese proved itself as an amp that could deal very well with lesser recordings of great music, and it was now time to test it with great recordings of great music and with an extended and focused listening session.

So, last night, after dinner, I retreated to my listening room, put Pink Floyd's "The Wall" on my turntable, turned off the lights and sat in my listening chair.

For the next couple of hours I was transported to a sonic nirvana that I thought was not possible in my 11' x 14' x 9' room. The soundstage extended so far beyond the walls that they actually disappeared - sonically speaking (the fact that I was listening to "The Wall" was not lost on me.)

But it did not stop there. The ceiling also disappeared. The vertical sound stage extended well above the ceiling. There is a "sonar-like" ping sound in the track "Hey You!" that seemed to emanate from 30 feet in the air ... just above my head.

The images in the soundstage were incredibly solid and holographic. Each sound came from a distinct place, with its own identity and sonics. It did not sound like two speakers emulating multiple sound sources, it sounded like multiple and distinct sound sources.

All of the above was bathed with a warm and totally fulfilling bass - smooth and continuous and/or full of impact and chest thumping pressure depending on the material.

I have listened to "The Wall" countless times; on my systems, on other people's system, in stores with mega$ systems, with speakers and with headphones, but I've never heard it sound like this.

I sat transfixed the whole time. I had to believe what I was hearing, but I couldn't - and still can't - quite understand how and why the Cortese can pull this off. And I know it was the Cortese because that's the only component I've changed in the system.

A couple of times I checked the sound levels and I was surprised it was barely touching 85dbs! The volume knob on the preamp was just below the "noon" position. This surprised me, it sounded so rich that 85 dbs was completely and entirely fulfilling.

I have been transported by music many time, but never quite like this. I can't imagine a better or more fulfilling sound than this. I kept telling myself "wow" -- and other expletives that I'd rather not repeat.

This was - by a huge margin - the best listening session of my life. It exceed any reasonable - or unreasonable - expectations. Any doubts I may have had about going to an all tube low-power amp + high-efficiency speakers evaporated last night. The ability to get amazing sound and room pressurization with 10+10W and 90db speakers trumped the weakness of having a small room -- perhaps it turned a small room into a huge advantage.

With the right recording, the Cortese with the Tannoys took the room out of the equation in a way I would have never thought possible. I've read in the past reviewers making comments like "Not only the speakers disappeared, the room itself disappeared." I always thought "That must be nice." Now I can say "Yes, that IS nice, make that: that is GREAT!"

I know this is a bit of an indulgent post. But I had to share this with someone and I know many of you will understand this kind of sonic joy. It makes the money and time we spend on this hobby all worthwhile.

Thank you for listening.

Alberto

Last edited by Alberto; 05-05-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:35 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Alberto... Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience and enlightenment.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 05-03-2011, 11:40 PM

Alberto...right on Your joy and excitement is palpable. Nice to see you are enjoying the heck out of the Cortese mated to the Tannoys. Enjoy!
Old 05-03-2011, 11:48 PM
The Architect

Congratulations Alberto! It's been a lot of fun to read about and follow your audio journey and I'm very pleased to hear that it has led you to the point that you have reached tonight! Happy listening
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (Analog 2 + Unison USB)
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Uptone Audio EtherREGEN network switch with LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0x Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Shunyata, Wireworld, WyWires Cables
Old 05-04-2011, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto
<< Jerome - I recommend you don't read this! >>

In past two days, the Shindo Cortese proved itself as an amp that could deal very well with lesser recordings of great music, and it was now time to test it with great recordings of great music and with an extended and focused listening session.

So, last night, after dinner, I retreated to my listening room, put Pink Floyd's "The Wall" on my turntable, turned off the lights and sat in my listening chair.

For the next couple of hours I was transported to a sonic nirvana that I thought was not possible in my 11' x 14' x 9' room. The soundstage extended so far beyond the walls that they actually disappeared - sonically speaking (the fact that I was listening to "The Wall" was not lost on me.)

But it did not stop there. The ceiling also disappeared. The vertical sound stage extended well above the ceiling. There is a "sonar-like" ping sound in the track "Hey You!" that seemed to emanate from 30 feet in the air ... just above my head.

The images in the soundstage were incredibly solid and holographic. Each sound came from a distinct place, with its own identity and sonics. It did not sound like two speakers emulating multiple sound sources, it sounded like multiple and distinct sound sources.

All of the above was bathed with a warm and totally fulfilling bass - smooth and continuous and/or full of impact and chest thumping pressure depending on the material.

I have listened to "The Wall" countless times; on my systems, on other people's system, in stores with mega$ systems, with speakers and with headphones, but I've never heard it sound like this.

I sat transfixed the whole time. I had to believe what I was hearing, but I couldn't - and still can't - quite understand how and why the Cortese can pull this off. And I know it was the Cortese because that's the only component I've changed in the system.

A couple of times I checked the sound levels and I was surprised it was barely touching 85dbs! The volume knob on the preamp was just below the "noon" position. This surprised me, it sounded so rich that 85 dbs was completely and entirely fulfilling.

I have been transported by music many time, but never quite like this. I can't imagine a better or more fulfilling sound than this. I kept telling myself "wow" -- and other expletives -- that I'd rather not repeat.

This was - by a huge margin - the best listening session of my life. It exceed any reasonable - or unreasonable - expectations. Any doubts I may have had about going to an all tube low-power amp + high-efficiency speakers evaporated last night. The ability to get amazing sound and room pressurization with 10+10W and 90db speakers trumped the weakness of having a small room -- perhaps it turned a small room into a huge advantage.

With the right recording, the Cortese with the Tannoys took the room out of the equation in a way I would have never thought possible. I've read in the past reviewers making comments like "Not only the speakers disappeared, the room itself disappeared." I always thought "That must be nice." Now I can say "Yes, that IS nice, make that: that is GREAT!"

I know this is a bit of an indulgent post. But I had to share this with someone and I know many of you will understand this kind of sonic joy. It makes the money and time we spend on this hobby all worthwhile.

Thank you for listening.

Alberto
Alberto...you've found the delicious sound of Shindo. It's only gets better. Move up the preamp line and receive the Shindo interconnects with the Auditorium 23 speaker cables and Mr. T. You'll have a permanent smile on your face.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 05-04-2011, 01:38 AM

Alberto,

Congratulations !!
You see, I read it. Your posts are too valuable to be missed !
Since I got the 2301's, I experienced many times the 3D image and incredible extension over the speakers. Sometimes I get a surround effect with sounds created besides me or even behind my head ! But that depends mostly on the recordings of course. I first thought it was the room, but I never got this with the 501's....
Before having these tube amps, I did not really care for stereo image.
I discovered with them that, like what you describe, a terrific stereo image is of prime importance : it gives you the illusion that you're listening to a live band and not to a system, and like you said, being elsewhere than in your room.
This is all what our hobby is about: escape !
Since I don't want to change my speakers, I wonder how a pair of push pull 80 W monoblocks from Shindo ( Corton Charlemagne I think, a wonderful wine BTW) would sound on my speakers ??
Now I have my eyes on the Nagra 300p, since Shindo will be very difficult if not impossible to get here. A push pull and not a SET amp, but made of 300B.
It costs new the price of a second hand pair of 2301's. It is just 2 x 20W.
So it seems enough crazy to be done !
I will go to listen to it when I come back from Chicago. I hope the dealer will be ok to let me try it at home.
Enjoy my friend !

Last edited by Jerome W; 05-04-2011 at 01:41 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:56 AM
Remembering Dan

Alberto....this is a most interesting read. I'd never even heard of Shindo until I started reading your posts....and you've got me curious about it. I wish you and I lived closer together so i could hear your setup-your room and everything in it looks most inviting, and I'm sure it provides a most enjoyable listening experience....and I'm a Pink Floyd kind of guy too! (I have 5 or 6 Floyd CD's, including The Wall).

There are times when I think really cranking up the system is actually NOT the best thing to do-as you mentioned at 85db things can be very enjoyable and can sound very rich and full. Delicate nuances that create that soundstage can be lost at very high volume levels. I also like late night, quiet listening with all the lights off.

Thanks for sharing....you've got me thinking of breaking out my copy of The Wall. It's been a while....

Pete

No. 35

Main System: VPI Prime Signature TT in Rosewood, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Stillpoints LP1 V2, McIntosh: MP100, MR78, MCD1000 Transport on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MDA1000 D/A Converter on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MS750 Music Server, C40, MC501's (3), Soundcraftsmen: DC2215 Eq/AS1000 Real time analyzer, DBX 3BX II, Carver C9, Nakamichi Dragon, Crown SX724, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), Sony XBR55X900E 4K TV, JBL L220A's, JBL B460, Sumo Delilah active crossover, WireWorld Silver Eclipse audio interconnects, WireWorld Starlight and Silver Starlight Coaxial Digital interconnects, Wireworld SuperNova 7 Toslink digital interconnect, WireWorld Aurora 7 and Silver Electra Power cords, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-Ray Player, Bryson BUC-1 USB Converter, Wireworld Gold Starlight XLR Digital interconnect, PS Audio Direct Stream Power Plant 12 on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, PS Audio Dectect, FuruTech Flux-50 NCF Inline Power Filter, Add-Powr Wizard EM Field AC Line conditioner; Stillpoint Ultra SS's under (3) McIntosh MC501 Amplifiers

Florida Room/Art Studio System: Harmon Kardon T60 TT/Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh: MR77, C32, MC2205; Crown Power Line Four, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 Digital to Analog converter, Soundcraftsmen AE2000 Eq, JBL 4313B's, JBL 2241-based Sub, JBL BX63A Active Crossover, Oppo BDP-105D Blu-Ray Player, Samsung 5500 Series 32" Smart TV, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna

Master Bedroom System: McIntosh: MX120 Theater processor, MC206 6-channel amplifier; MR74 AM/FM Tuner, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, JVC HM-DH40000U D-Theater Digital VHS, Phase Technology PC80 Towers (now used as stands), (2) JBL 4401's, (1) JBL Studio 6IW speaker, (2) JBL Studio 6IC speakers, Sony XBR-49X900E UHD TV, Panamax 1000 Line Conditioner, (2) JL Audio E110 Subwoofers, Wireworld Solstice speaker cables, Wireworld Aurora Power cords, Wireworld Equinox and Solstice speaker cables and various other flavors of Wireworld and Audioquest cabling

Office System: Marantz 150 Tuner, Crown DL 2, Crown EQ 2, Crown SA 2, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), McIntosh MCD7009 (as transport), DBX 3BX Series II, Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray player, JBL 4401's, JL Audio E112 Subwoofer, Samsung 5500 series 32" Smart TV, Wire World Oasis audio interconnects, Wire World Solstice speaker cables, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 DSDse Digital to Analog converter, Wireworld Starlight Coaxial Digital Interconnect, Sennheiser HD800 Headphones, Sennheiser HDVA600 Headphone amp, Wireworld Silver Eclipse Balanced Interconnects, Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB Cable, Add-Powr EAU-2 AC Harmonic resonator

High Resolution Source: HP Omen 17" Gaming Laptop
Old 05-04-2011, 02:33 AM

Alberto....Congrats on finding a great combo of Shindo and Tannoy....

I'm not a Pink Floyd fan but now you got me interested for a listen with that great write-up.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'cisco View Post
Alberto....Congrats on finding a great combo of Shindo and Tannoy....

I'm not a Pink Floyd fan but now you got me interested for a listen with that great write-up.
I'm not either but "The Wall" is a must in terms of mastering.
I have it both lp and cd / SACD.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:34 AM
McKlipschead

Congratulations Alberto! Maybe the destination is more fun than the journey

Jerome... I'm getting real nice 3-D holographics and spaciousness out of my 501's in combination with the C500T tube pre-amp, the old C46 made things more 2-dimensional but still sounded great.