AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 06-03-2012, 03:47 PM

[On a side note, I am more and more liking the idea of the C50 tone controls though, as I listen to a lot of older CDs that could really use some help. The biggest downside of my audio upgrade path (other than $$$, lol!) has been the accentuation of poor or mediocre recordings. The difference in recording quality from cd to cd is sooo much more noticeable that it's distracting (as much as the increase in sq on good recordings is spectacular). It would be so nice to apply some fixin' to these CDs so I can enjoy them again instead of lamenting how bad they now sound. ]

I never hated how my music sounded (not the music itself!) until my system came into place. 50's & 60's jazz is hit and miss so I seek out Analog Production reissues. I hate my Mingus Ah Hum SACD from Columbia on my system, I can't stand it…However, Ellington's Blues in Orbit from Mofi was well worth the $150 I paid for it... Brass for the most part sounds terrible as does piano…Rock is no better, which is why i buy the DCC reissues. As far as classical, the FIM/LIM are great sounding discs.. These days, the best sounding music I'm playing is The Eagles When Hell Freezes Over XRCD, where Hotel California is even better than the original IMHO. I think there is a lot of opportunity to reissue 50& 60's music in
digital format in a way that will make me ditch my analog gear. Best example for me is the The Story of Nat King Cole remastered by Steve Hoffman..Thanks for the aside, this has been on my mind lately.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:17 PM

I wish the MX150 and MX121 had analog pass through. It seems really strange that McIntosh would not have done this.
Home Theater: Sonos->MCD1100,Oppo 105D,Cary 306/200,MVP-871->SP3->C500T->MC501x3+MC402x2+MC252->PL300+F113x2+PL350+4xPL InWall+PL100,PL100 in games room,VPL-VW500ES, Shunyata Sigma HCx3, Shunyata Analogx2, Alpha HCx2, Alpha Digital, Wire World Silver Electra x8
Great Room: BDP-09FD,Sonos->MCD500->MX119->MC501x3+2xMA700s->PL200+PLC150+GRFX+F112,PRO-141FD
Kid's Room: Sonos,Oppo 95->MX119->HCA1200mkii+4xMA700s->GR20s+FB210+GRLCR+2xGRFX,PRO-101FD
Home Gym: Sonos->Oppo 105->MC252->GR10s+FB210,TC-P55ST60
Office at work: Cary 306/200, Michell Gyro SE w/TechnoArm+Meastro Wood->6900->GR10s+SB12-Plus
Cottage: iPod,Oppo 95->Marantz SR7009->PSB Silver+ GRLCR+Silver FXi, MA700+PSB Mini in sunroom
Old 06-03-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad.Wagner View Post
I wish the MX150 and MX121 had analog pass through. It seems really strange that McIntosh would not have done this.
The 121 has analog pass through via Pure Audio……..
Old 06-04-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkad View Post
Bryan, just re-read this. Are you sure about this? I think this only applies to mx150. I believe the C48/50 is a true preamp on its analog inputs, although it will allow tone/EQ. It digitizes (DA conversion) only on its digital inputs,since it has internal dacs.
Yup, it's true. Both the c48 and c50 digitize all inputs. They are not true analog preamps.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:52 AM

Default Opinion changed by new amp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjazz View Post
[On a side note, I am more and more liking the idea of the C50 tone controls though, as I listen to a lot of older CDs that could really use some help. The biggest downside of my audio upgrade path (other than $$$, lol!) has been the accentuation of poor or mediocre recordings. The difference in recording quality from cd to cd is sooo much more noticeable that it's distracting (as much as the increase in sq on good recordings is spectacular). It would be so nice to apply some fixin' to these CDs so I can enjoy them again instead of lamenting how bad they now sound. ]

I never hated how my music sounded (not the music itself!) until my system came into place. 50's & 60's jazz is hit and miss so I seek out Analog Production reissues. I hate my Mingus Ah Hum SACD from Columbia on my system, I can't stand it…However, Ellington's Blues in Orbit from Mofi was well worth the $150 I paid for it... Brass for the most part sounds terrible as does piano…Rock is no better, which is why i buy the DCC reissues. As far as classical, the FIM/LIM are great sounding discs.. These days, the best sounding music I'm playing is The Eagles When Hell Freezes Over XRCD, where Hotel California is even better than the original IMHO. I think there is a lot of opportunity to reissue 50& 60's music in
digital format in a way that will make me ditch my analog gear. Best example for me is the The Story of Nat King Cole remastered by Steve Hoffman..Thanks for the aside, this has been on my mind lately.
nycjazz: I have had an epiphany! Just got a MC452 amp to mate with my Revel Salon2 mains, and WOW! My previously poor or unlistenable redbook CD's have sprung back to life and are now thoroughly enjoyable

I now am rethinking tone controls as a primary objective. Still working through the prepro choices though, and still leaning to Classe SSP-800 or Krell S1200, although the more I read about the Bryston SP3 (which i previously assaulted), the more intriguing it sounds from a pure SQ perspective. Wish I could hold out for the upcoming Marantz AV 8007, but the money is burning a hole in my pocket, lol.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxthx View Post
I would say forget the Anthem... I think it's rubbish!
You definitely have a point. I got rid of my second hand D1 3 months later, even the Shwerwood-Newcastle it replaced sounded better, in fact it right after the D1 that I got trapped into the Onkyo/Integra preamp/pro world.

Now i am having serious thought of going fully balanced, a hefty investment, the first step was the MVP881 twin, the A1UDCI.