AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > What are you Grilling?

What are you Grilling? What's Cooking

Old 10-09-2018, 02:24 PM

Shun and Global for me as well. Have a knife block of Shun which I love.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:34 AM
Retired

Cutco is having their annual sale:
https://www.cutco.com/products/thumb...ywj31m16oyv6nl
Like their 4" paring knife so picked up the petite chef's knife to go with it.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 10-29-2018, 01:14 PM

The Super Shears Scissors are also highly recommended for opening all your new corrugated stereo boxes, and other stuff.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 01-28-2019, 07:28 AM
Retired

Have to admit, I'm a bit bummed by my Global knives inability to 'hold an edge'. My Cutco's are considerably better. While I'm a big fan of Global's 'integrated' design, they need to use a harder steel.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 01-28-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Have to admit, I'm a bit bummed by my Global knives inability to 'hold an edge'. My Cutco's are considerably better. While I'm a big fan of Global's 'integrated' design, they need to use a harder steel.

Come over to the darkside, carbon steel is your friend!

Seriously though, Global’s chromova stainless blend is claimed to be 56-58 HRC but I find that hard to believe after owning some. You should consider a proper kitchen knife that you could sharpen to the point you can shave with it. Cleaning and drying knives after use is the normal thing to do anyway so there’s really no extra effort to take care of them, just a quick wipe with an oiled rag. Edge is scary sharp when sharpened properly, holds its edge longer, and is easier to touch up on stones yourself.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:42 PM

I have a whole bunch of knives and use them a lot.

Japanese knives - I have 5 or 6 different makes. Really the nicest to use. Light, handles really well, cuts differently - crisply (like w herbs), effortlessly (like cutting the tough skin off a whole parma or iberico ham - this is difficult and risky with a german knife), surprisingly (will cut bread better than a serrated bread knife). Stays sharp for quite a while.

Downside - due to high HRC, will chip on bone, lobster/crab shells, frozen stuff. And the tip can break if u drop it (has happened to me). So you need a different knife for every use vs an all in one. Also the hard steels are not easy to sharpen. You will need an expensive stone and practice or get the expensive jigs - even with a jig it can take a long time to resharpen the knives.

I have japan stainless steel (specialty steels, generally slightly lower hrc than carbon much higher than german), carbon steel wrapped in stainless with just the edge exposed (less maintenance ), and pure carbon steel (deba knife for cutting fish, really sharp, goes through fish bones w just a flick and easy to sharpen).

Kramer carbon tool steel zwillings - Made in japan. In theory can be all in one, i.e. cut chicken bones as well as do fine slicing but i have not tried them on bone. Has a different geometry (very tall knife so u can use the blade as a shovel for diced onions etc), and very ergo handle. Same or better performance than many japan stainless knives. Very sharp but difficult to sharpen. Some really nice details like the top of the knife (choil?) is thick, rounded and polished and really comfortable but tapers to a very thin end for fine slicing.

The KZ carbon steel ones are great to cut with (in a pinch, can even work as a sushi knife) and supposedly almost indistinguishable from his custom carbon steel ones which used to cost $2k (but I believe now go for $4k if you can buy them; his decorative ones will sell for $25k). HOWEVER, rusts much faster than any other carbon steel knife I have. If not wiped even in the middle of a cooking session, they will rust before your eyes and if left with some rust they will pit - they will. The handles are also real wood and will fade with use. I've decided not to baby these knives and just use them.

I also have the stainless meiji damascus kramer zwillings which area good compromise. They are very attractive with comfortable composite wood handle. They are not as sharp as the carbon but good enough.

I have not tried their stainless damascus which costs about 30% more than the carbon steel (same hrc) and meiji line. I also haven't tried their euroline stainless (less expensive) which is stainless, plastic handle, lower HRC.

German knives - wustof, zwilling. Really tough knives, won't chip with small bones, frozen meat - though I've had the logo come off a wustoff handle. I have a set that is 30+ years old surviving heavy use. Many have bolsters (thick steel at handle end of blade) reduces the useful cutting length and makes it difficult to sharpen.

However, in comparison to the japan made knives, just not the same. They never get as sharp, don't stay as sharp. So in my opinion they are riskier cutting pork with skin, air dried hams with skin, pumpkins etc. They are not enjoyable to use on tomatoes and other veggies. They still get use for cutting semifrozen chickens etc.

Good quality american made - Chicago cutlery, haven't tried the modern ones, am sure they've improved. Can get sharper and stay sharper longer than the german knives but more brittle, can snap in two(yes I've snapped).

Cheaper stamped stainless (victorinox, etc) w plastic handles - performs really well can perform better than the wustoffs, sharp at the start especially out of the box, cheap. good starter knives. They will chip against bone though (i have).

French carbon steel - sabatier, etc. looks cool, classic, seasons better than the kramers - doesn't rust as fast, sharpens easily but lower HRC than many japan stainless knives - therefore why bother.

If I were to have only one and care enough to maintain the knife I'd choose the kramer original carbon 8 or 10 inch. If lazy the kramer meiji or spend a bit more for the kramer stainless damascus. I'd need a utility knife as well though for boning, paring etc.

Why so many knives? - pretty serious hobbyist, cook a lot, really use the knives and we have several kitchens. If I like something I'll get a set per kitchen.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:18 AM

Seahug totally agree on your Kramer analysis, and on a budget, the 8” would also be my choice.

I have had a bunch of his various styles and initially fell in love with his 8” Zwilling western handle profile. Bought it to test the profile before auditioning a hand-forged 8” (seller was asking $6500) for about a week. In your hands, you can instantly tell the difference but I just couldn’t justify the upgrade price, the Zwilling carbon is that good. I kept the 8” zwilling carbon, bought the stainless version for S.O. to abuse, and used the difference to buy a bunch of other master bladesmith pieces. Have a nikiri and petty from Carter that Inlike (wasn’t a fan of his other profiles and they didn’t last long in my bag), a 7.5” and 9.5” from Haley DesRosiers and have a 9” Burke in production (not to mention a dozen various Japanese and misc other specialty pieces in my bag). Right now the 7.5” DesRosiers is what I use 90% of the time and you should get on her list asap while her books are still open. Profile is french inspired and gives a little more rock action than the Kramer, cuts like a laser, handle is an extension of my hand. $1k ish for W2, double and up for damascus and special features (check-out her keyhole handle)...basically the same prices most M.S.’s are charging.

Btw, Zwilling Kramer stainless damascus (I have the 10” bought on clearance from their outlet) and I find it a bit sticky and the plain stainless and carbon models have much better food release.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:23 PM

Thanks! Hmm how do you order from Haley? Didn't see anything on her instagram. that w2 bunka knife is interesting, looks like a cleaver...don't have it and haven't used one though. How much i wonder? I could also use a slicer/sujihiki knife as I am trying to get better at sashimi.

I like that John's roast pork in Philly btw.

Pricewise I saw a handmade kramer carbon 8 or 10in, exactly like the KZ, on ebay last year sold for 4k usd. Owner had kramer refurbish it then put it up for sale.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:43 PM

Seahug Haley’s And her husband Adam (also M.S.) can be reached through their website at www.alaskablades.com

This is her 7.5” W2 I am in love with
IMG_3290.jpg

I remember that ebay Kramer (he had three listed together at first for a “friend”, then sent back to Kramer for refinishing and certificate, then only 1 was listed). IIRC, it was ended early, I’d def have been a buyer at $4k!

Sadly, I’ve been on his lottery list for many years and my # will probably never be drawn given his popularity. This is all I have from his actual shop produced direct:
IMG_4557.jpg

Cool side note, of the first 300 made, the back of the blade reads “Frist Run 2016” and came with a hand signed note apologizing for the misprint, he explains that he’s dyslexic and the misprint is just further proof that these were actually hand made by him. Offered a chance to order a corrected version as well. The locking carbon handle and the smaller wood handle are both excellent EDC blades.
IMG_4558.jpg
Old 02-21-2019, 07:54 PM

That haley looks very handy. Seems to cut well also. I can swing 1k for a knife. On BK, yes, I think there was a buy it now for 4k. It was available when I saw it lasted less than 24 hours. So 4k for a basic kramer is a good deal? I'd have a hard time justifying that. But I have respect for BK. He started quite late, I think late 30s or early 40s selling knives.

Those pocket knives are nice. I saw an ornate BK for sale for 25k. I guess there's a market for these things. I was in a wine shop last December and saw a henry jayer bottle for 15,000 euro. Not me though