AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 08-31-2015, 05:49 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by renabot77 View Post
I want to upgrade in my speaker and interconnect cables. Currently, I have like Transparent super as speaker cables and transparent musiclink as interconnect. My speakers are Wilson Audio Watt Puppy 8 (front) and Wilson Audio Cub (and surround). I own a Meridian 861v6 as a processor and a McIntosh MC 207 as an amplifier. What cables transparent line would bring greater benefit to me? (I want to upgrade my interconnect cables and my front speaker cables at this moment)
For what it's worth, my experience with Plus interconnects (the next step up from MusicLink) suggests they'll be an improvement. They are heavier gauge than MusicLink and are supposed to be better at the lower frequencies. Here's a quote from Transparent's website:

"Plus RCA Interconnects transfer more low frequency energy than Transparent's MusicLink and The Link RCA interconnects due to heavier solid OFHC conductors and more substantial gold plated connectors and more effective network design. With networks more tightly calibrated to the specific length and characteristics of the cable, Plus RCA Interconnects have better noise rejection and more efficient signal transfer. With superior low level information retrieval and greater dynamic range and low frequency impact compared to entry level interconnects, MusicLink Plus is an ideal choice."
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 06-16-2016, 03:37 PM

New power cords replacing Powerlink MM2 MM2x, Ref Powerlink MM2x and Powerlink XL MM:

Reference Powercord Generation 5

Old 06-16-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOA View Post
New power cords replacing Powerlink MM2 MM2x, Ref Powerlink MM2x and Powerlink XL MM:

Soa, I would be interested in your thoughts after a comparison between the PowerLink MM2 MM2x and the Reference Powercord Generation 5.
Old 06-25-2016, 05:37 AM

Soa, did you compare the PowerLink MM2 (MM2x) to the new Reference Powercord Generation 5?

Bertrand
Old 06-25-2016, 08:38 AM

So I now have 5 Transparent Opus Source Power cords and 3 Opus power cords. Really amazing sounding...more interesting, pulls you in better type of sound. Also seems like a hand in glove matching with their interconnects and speaker cables...

Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
Preamp: Robert Koda K10
Amp: Nagra Classic Amp
Cables: Transparent Opus Gen 5 & Magnum Opus phono
Power Transparent Opus Power Cords (x8)
Power Shunyata Triton v2/Typhon/DPC-6 v2, Sigma HC
Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x3)
Old 06-25-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:

Wow, very nice collection of power cords. Congrats.

What are all of the blue cables I see in that picture?
Old 06-27-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picto View Post
Soa, did you compare the PowerLink MM2 (MM2x) to the new Reference Powercord Generation 5?

Bertrand
Hi Bertrand,

Sorry for the late response.
Unfortunately I had to do an immediate return of the PL MM2 to my dealer as a part of the deal. But I did a quick comparison between the two power cords connected to a ARC REF 10. The difference were hard to notice, but I felt the REF gen 5 PC had slightly more extended and tighter bass. Also, the new connectors have far better grip and looks IMO.

BR, Sven

Last edited by SOA; 06-27-2016 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
Wow, very nice collection of power cords. Congrats.

What are all of the blue cables I see in that picture?
Thanks Rod,

The blue cables are from a Norwegian brand named Renaissance Audio. Very good cables. Please see description and pictures of the cable in my member system thread.

Post #36

http://www.audioaficionado.org/membe...-system-4.html
Old 06-30-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Hi Bertrand,

Sorry for the late response.
Unfortunately I had to do an immediate return of the PL MM2 to my dealer as a part of the deal. But I did a quick comparison between the two power cords connected to a ARC REF 10. The difference were hard to notice, but I felt the REF gen 5 PC had slightly more extended and tighter bass. Also, the new connectors have far better grip and looks IMO.

BR, Sven
Thank you Sven for your comments!

Bertrand
Old 08-07-2016, 10:06 AM

Good day.
Need some help here with choosing Transparent audio cables.
At first a little of history: I was upgrading my stereo/HT system and time comes to cables. I was using Van den Hull SC, Mcintosh XLR, Atlas cables Hyper Symmetrical as XLR and RCA interconnect.
Browsing the Internet forums I saw that a lot of audiophiles use TA cables and are impressed how they sound in their systems. Also watching a lot of photos and videos from hi-end show I also noticed then a lot of produsers of HI-end gear is using them in their show installations. Making a logical conclusion that so much people can't be wrong choosing the cables I Understand that TA cables are one of the best at the market I started to choose cable for my system.
First I started with is send a letter to TA to get recommendations and clarify concerning all this MM, XL, MM2, G5 etc..
I discribed my system in request: The sources that I use is Clearaudio Concept TT with MC cartridge (will be upgraded to Mcintosh T-5 or Clearaudio Innovation soon) and Mac mini as Roon server with Uptone JS-2 Linear Power Supply which is connected to Mcintosh C52 with Curious USB cables with UpTone USB REGEN in-between. The McIntosh C52 is connected to 2 Macintosh MC-601 power amps , Mcintosh MC207, player OPPO 105D as home theatre processor, B&W 802D fronts, B&W Dimond center, B&W805 as a rears.

First I wanted to upgrade Speaker cable to fit level of my components. I was considering Super or Ultra. The recommendations from TA was:
The history or the Transparent generations:
1993 – 1997 Pre XL technology
1997 – 2001 XL Generation
2001 – 2008 MM Generation
2008 – 2014 MM2 Generation
2014 Generation 5 introduction
The MM2 Generation of Transparent was and is very good, but I would look at the Generation 5 cables if possible. These are an improvement over the previous generations of Transparent, and will offer that high level of performance into the foreseeable future. You also would know that the cables are allowing your components to perform at their very best as well. I would recommend the Super or Ultra level as the best matches to your system.

Following this recommendations I bought G5Ultra SC.

I was (and still is) really impressed by the sound quality this cable perfoms in my system. And deep bass... Deep bass, that I have never heard from my speakers before is really impressing.
Now turn comes to XLR cable to connect McIntosh C52 and two of McIntosh MC601. I wanted G5 Ultra also, but dealer does not have 2 m long G5 XLR at present. And he is offering previous generation MM2 Reference with extra payment which can be acceptable to me. I don't like to buy outdated products, but want to hear advice from manufacturer and put the question to TA:
1) Does MM2 Ref is better than G5 Ultra????
2) Does it worth buying outdated MM2 Ref or it's better to wait for G5Ultra?
3) Will I feel significant difference between G5 Ultra and MM2 Reference in my system?

And the answer was:
The MM2 Reference is not a bad option at all. Reference has a few benefits that Ultra does not, even though it is the previous generation.
At the Reference level we start to look at the output impedance values for the source component being used with a cable, and match the cable network value to either a High or Low range. The C52 has a single ended RCA output impedance of 100 ohms, and a Balanced output impedance of 200 ohms. For RCA the Low-Z specification is correct and for balanced the Hi-Z specification is correct.
The network calibration, in addition to the raw cable and connector ends would put the MM2 Reference ahead of the Ultra G5 in performance.

So now I have a problem what to choose XLR MM2 Ref or XLR G5 Ultra????
The Ultra arguments are:
- universality (fits any connected components brand in the system);
- lower price and easier to sell later
- last generation;
- the same line that my speaker cable

The MM2 arguments are:
- best feet the components because of taking into consideration output impedance;
- should be better sounding (don't know if I wil feel it on my system)
Cons:
- not universal (if I change component I should consider Low-Z or Hi-Z specification or recalibrate by manufacturer)
- more expensive
- more difficult to sell later
- outdated product.
But that is the logic arguments, but may be sounding compensate all this cons.
Want to hear experienced opinions and advices. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Andrew Zakon; 08-07-2016 at 02:13 PM.