AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 06-30-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardbird View Post
DCVibe,

Very enjoyable review. You were indeed fortunate to find one dealer with such a diverse line of high end speakers! I too had to travel; in my case to four states - multiple trips - over several months, to do my listening before deciding on the Magico Q3's. Coming off of seven years with B&W 802's, I found the Q3's a little lean in the mid-bass at first (BBC hump). But as I listened to Wilson (Sasha, Alexia) , Avalon (Eidelon Diamond, Compass), Rockport (Avior), and other Magico models (M5, V2, Q5, Q1, S5), I kept returning to the Q3's, because I valued neutrality, and transparency. I also realized that what I thought was a lean mid-bass was actually accuracy - no BBC hump, as with the B&W (and many other ported speakers), that the acoustic suspension-type speaker design offers. I chose the accuracy and musicality of the Q3. I did take a long look at the S5 because it seemed to bridge the sizeable sound gap between the type of sound that was familiar to me with the B&W 802's and the Q3. But I value the small details - the overtones, room ambience, tonal texture, and I've never heard a speaker that did a better job of presenting all that without sounding too analytical. The Q3's sound utterly natural and unforced to me.
Good luck with your search. You have some great candidates there, and don't rush the process - the hunt is more than half the fun with our hobby! Ted.
Thanks. I know what you are saying about the Q3's. They do so many things so well for those who appreciate those things. I just feel like the Vivid may be an easier speaker to own and operate. What were your thoughts about the Alexia?
Old 06-30-2014, 10:14 PM

excellent and very clear review,
but, remember sasha msrp 26k

vivid around 55
q3 39.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mati1979 View Post
excellent and very clear review,
but, remember sasha msrp 26k

vivid around 55
q3 39.
Incorrect. Sasha's base MSRP is $29900 (colors cost 1k) and it's going up soon.

Oh, maybe you meant Sasha 1's. They were $26900 base.

Last edited by 2fastdriving; 07-01-2014 at 02:04 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcvibe View Post
Thanks. I know what you are saying about the Q3's. They do so many things so well for those who appreciate those things. I just feel like the Vivid may be an easier speaker to own and operate. What were your thoughts about the Alexia?
I got to the Alexia after a session with the Sasha - which I had made my appointment to hear. The Alexia had just arrived that week and there was an appointment coming in to audition them, so I just had a few minutes. They were driven by a nice Accuphase stack and sounded at once more transparent and coherent than the Sasha (Mark 1), while still voiced like a Wilson - warm side of neutral with a solid bottom end. I was favorably impressed. By the way, the Sasha was driven by McIntosh Mc601's, C500T pre, MCD1100 digital, which was very close to my electronics at the time, so my experience was more audio show than controlled comparative listening! Ted.

Magico Q3 plus S-Pods, Spectral DMA-500AR, DMC-30SV pre, Esoteric F-03a, Esoteric S-05, Esoteric P02X, N-01XD,
Cybershaft OP21A-D, Roon Nucleus Plus w/S-Booster LPS, Uptone Audio EtherRegen w/ LPS-1.2, MIT Oracle MA-X V2's, Oracle SHD-120 V2, Shunyata Sigma Clock 50’s, Sigma Ethernet’s, Alpha USB-V2, Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 HDMI's, MIT Oracle Z-III PC's, Z Power Bar Conditioner, Coherence Systems ADD-Powr Sorcer X4, EAU2, Furutech Flux 50 filters, GTX-D rhodium outlets, service sub panel w/ 4-30 amp dedicated circuits, Stillpoints Ultra 6, Ultra 5, Ultra SS, HRS Damping Plates, Cable Isolators, Sony XBR75ZH8.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcvibe View Post
Speakers were all in the same room. Electronics were all the same. The source was the same. Speaker wire was consistent for all but the Giya G2 which had a different pair hooked on to them because of how the binding posts are located underneath.
But were all those things the same as what you have at home? I ask because you are comparing your current setup to what you heard at the dealer. I see you have TA Ultra wires. I can tell you from experience that running TA Ref XL speaker cables will bring out a whole different side of awesome from your Sasha's. My point is, comparing your home setup to the dealer's demos is sooo hard to do. When I tried that, even with identical electronics and cables, it still sounded (slightly) better on the top end and worse on the bottom end at the dealer's than in my home. Their room was really dampened, but had concrete floors...the bass was weak.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardbird View Post
DCVibe, Very enjoyable review. You were indeed fortunate to find one dealer with such a diverse line of high end speakers! I too had to travel; in my case to four states - multiple trips - over several months, to do my listening before deciding on the Magico Q3's. Coming off of seven years with B&W 802's, I found the Q3's a little lean in the mid-bass at first (no BBC hump). But as I listened to Wilson (Sasha, Alexia) , Avalon (Eidelon Diamond, Compass), Rockport (Avior), and other Magico models (M5, V2, Q5, Q1, S5), I kept returning to the Q3's, because I valued neutrality, and transparency. I also realized that what I thought was a lean mid-bass was actually accuracy - no BBC hump, as with the B&W (and many other ported speakers). I chose the accuracy and musicality of the Q3. I did take a long look at the S5 because it seemed to bridge the sizeable sound gap between the type of sound that was familiar to me with the B&W 802's and the Q3. But I value the small details - the overtones, room ambience, tonal texture, and I've never heard a speaker that did a better job of presenting all that without sounding too analytical. The Q3's sound utterly natural and unforced to me. Good luck with your search. You have some great candidates there, and don't rush the process - the hunt is more than half the fun with our hobby! Ted.
Yardbird,

I currently have the Magico M5s driven by soulution (711/720) amps. Curious to hear how you would compare the relative merits of the M5 and the other Magico speakers you auditioned especially the Q5. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
But were all those things the same as what you have at home? I ask because you are comparing your current setup to what you heard at the dealer. I see you have TA Ultra wires. I can tell you from experience that running TA Ref XL speaker cables will bring out a whole different side of awesome from your Sasha's. My point is, comparing your home setup to the dealer's demos is sooo hard to do. When I tried that, even with identical electronics and cables, it still sounded (slightly) better on the top end and worse on the bottom end at the dealer's than in my home. Their room was really dampened, but had concrete floors...the bass was weak.
I have transparent reference cables now. I know what you are saying but there is no way for me to do an at home audition because I do not have a dealer in my area for any of the speakers I'm interested in. None are even within reasonable driving distance.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:33 PM

Interesting review. I mostly agree with most of the comments. Where I disagree, is the bass performance of the S5 vs Sasha 1.

I used to had Sashas for over 3 years and last summer replaced them with Magicos S5, after lenghty home audition. So I had a pretty good chance to compare them side by side, in the same room.

To my ears, the S5 bass is superior to Sasha's, in every single performance parameter. It goes deeper, is faster, more articulate, less colored. I have heard bass textures on double bass I have never heard before.

I expected the S5 midrange and highs to be more polished, but it was bass, where I noted the biggest difference between those speakers, and which surprised me the most.

After living for over 15 months with a sealed box speaker, I don't think I will ever return to a ported design.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:35 PM

[QUOTE=Elberoth;620101]Interesting review. I mostly agree with most of the comments. Where I disagree, is the bass performance of the S5 vs Sasha 1.

Elberoth,

I consider this a compliment from you. Thanks for taking the time to read my review and augmenting it with your expertise. I agree with you that many people would prefer the S5 bass. My perception is the Sasha has more slam in the lower register. That may not be everyone's personal preference. Just my thoughts…

Thanks
Old 07-01-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
Interesting review. I mostly agree with most of the comments. Where I disagree, is the bass performance of the S5 vs Sasha 1.

I used to had Sashas for over 3 years and last summer replaced them with Magicos S5, after lenghty home audition. So I had a pretty good chance to compare them side by side, in the same room.

To my ears, the S5 bass is superior to Sasha's, in every single performance parameter. It goes deeper, is faster, more articulate, less colored. I have heard bass textures on double bass I have never heard before.

I expected the S5 midrange and highs to be more polished, but it was bass, where I noted the biggest difference between those speakers, and which surprised me the most.

After living for over 15 months with a sealed box speaker, I don't think I will ever return to a ported design.
+1.
I also came from Sasha I to the S5 (last year) and had both speakers in my room for a couple of months.