AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Pre-Amps & Amplifiers

Pre-Amps & Amplifiers All Brands Welcome

Old 07-16-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaint519 View Post
Sure, there are an endless amount of opinions. After all, opinions are like a--holes, everybody has one. And without controversy, it's all good information and presents value on varying levels. I'm hoping to hear, however, from someone who has tried it both ways, and what their conclusions are. Anyone? There's gotta be someone or two among us who can help me.
I don't see how someone's anecdotal experience (because that's all it is...one data point...or two or however many will respond who meet your criteria of having tried it both ways) can persuade you one way or the other. They will have different equipment, different listening preferences, etc...You want to find out for yourself, try it both ways and see which you prefer. But like you said, I am an a-hole with an opinion...
Old 07-16-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
I don't see how someone's anecdotal experience (because that's all it is...one data point...or two or however many will respond who meet your criteria of having tried it both ways) can persuade you one way or the other. They will have different equipment, different listening preferences, etc...You want to find out for yourself, try it both ways and see which you prefer. But like you said, I am an a-hole with an opinion...
That's funny. No, you are not an a--hole. Far from it, I'm sure. And yes, it very well may be purely anecdotal. I do believe that it may help me with perspective. Not to mention, that the vast amount of knowledge and experience will absolutely benefit me, as it has become an invaluable source of insight & info. In the final analysis, I absolutely agree that my ears will and should make the final determination. In the mean time, any and all input is welcomed.

Last edited by thesaint519; 07-17-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Sure, there are an endless amount of opinions. After all, opinions are like a--holes, everybody has one. And without controversy, it's all good information and presents value on varying levels. I'm hoping to hear, however, from someone who has tried it both ways, and what their conclusions are. Anyone? There's gotta be someone or two among us who can help me.
If you go back there are several threads on this topic. A lot of us have tried it both ways and the general (but not unanimous) consensus is that a pre in the loop provides greater flexibility, allows you to better control the volume in smaller increments, and allows you to hear deeper into the music. The downside some of us heard was you lose a bit of impact and dynamics. In addition there are those who like what tubes interject which you will not get going direct with too many CD players.

You want something conclusive and there is absolutely no consensus on anything in this hobby of ours. You need to try it on your system both ways to see which you prefer.

Jim
Old 07-16-2012, 11:36 PM

Good summary Jim...

Old 07-16-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
That's funny. No, you are not an a--hole. Far from it, I'm sure. And yes, it very well may purely anecdotal. I do believe that it may help me with perspective. Not to mention, that the vast amount of knowledge and experience will absolutely benefit me, as it has become an invaluable source of insight & info. In the final analysis, I absolutely agree that my ears will and should make the final determination. In the mean time, any and all input is welcomed.
I did not mean to sound like you should not solicit feedback, that's what AA is all about but I guess my point is there are so many variables that trying to generalise is difficult in this hobby. I think Jim's summary actually captures quite accurately various AA members experience going direct vs. through a preamp, although there are quite a few who preferred going direct as well.

The other main thing to consider is the volume control design in your digital source (i.e., is it in the digital domain or is an analog volume control). If digital, you need to make sure that it does not impact resolution, which many digital controls do.

Good luck with your experiment
Old 07-16-2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
If you go back there are several threads on this topic. A lot of us have tried it both ways and the general (but not unanimous) consensus is that a pre in the loop provides greater flexibility, allows you to better control the volume in smaller increments, and allows you to hear deeper into the music. The downside some of us heard was you lose a bit of impact and dynamics. In addition there are those who like what tubes interject which you will not get going direct with too many CD players.

You want something conclusive and there is absolutely no consensus on anything in this hobby of ours. You need to try it on your system both ways to see which you prefer.

Jim
Jim, that is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. And yes, there are no definites in this hobby of ours, I understand. However, the collective intelligence represented here is priceless. Therefore, I consider it all indispensable. I've made some changes in my approach to our hobby based on what I've learned here. And those changes have gotten me closer to where I wanna be. So now that I've found you all, I'm not letting you go .

Last edited by thesaint519; 07-16-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
I did not mean to sound like you should not solicit feedback, that's what AA is all about but I guess my point is there are so many variables that trying to generalise is difficult in this hobby. I think Jim's summary actually captures quite accurately various AA members experience going direct vs. through a preamp, although there are quite a few who preferred going direct as well.

The other main thing to consider is the volume control design in your digital source (i.e., is it in the digital domain or is an analog volume control). If digital, you need to make sure that it does not impact resolution, which many digital controls do.

Good luck with your experiment
See, I knew I could count on you to expand my perspective of the matter. Thanks. I do want to experiment with a preamp in the signal chain. My preamp selection is the Lamm L2, as soon as finances permit. So, yes, the volume control resides in the analog realm. I can't wait to hear what sonic differences it makes.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:22 AM

Pre-Amps have other benefits too. Other than multiple inputs, they have multiple outputs too .... for subs. And Home Theater Bypass for incorporating a decent 2ch pre into a HT system.
My Moon P7 Pre was a big step up from the DAC I was using as a pre. But that was a short lived W4S DAC2 ...not a DCS stack....
Old 07-17-2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinla View Post
Pre-Amps have other benefits too. Other than multiple inputs, they have multiple outputs too .... for subs. And Home Theater Bypass for incorporating a decent 2ch pre into a HT system.
My Moon P7 Pre was a big step up from the DAC I was using as a pre. But that was a short lived W4S DAC2 ...not a DCS stack....
Appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:47 AM
Rebellious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
The C1000P gives the same amount of details than the MDA 1000 variable outputs, but with much more musicality and naturalness.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post

Jim
I want to emphasize these two comments!

I have lots of Digital Music. I also have begun collecting analog, mostly Vinyl. I also watch movies and TV. I also stream Music.

The pre-amp is the central point for conveniently managing all of my source components. Moreover, none of their output levels are the same, small quibble but I want the volume level on the pre-amp to be universal.

The pre-amp is your right hand man in listening to audio, you go to the pre-amp for everything. It's like your executive officer. The sources are like your lieutenants, you give them media to execute or really just "play"

If you can limit your self to source and amplification, have at it. I sure can't