AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Events & Demos

Events & Demos Manufacturer & Dealer Sponsored Events

Old 02-28-2020, 12:51 PM

Default Munich High End Cancelled

Cancelled due to fears of Coronavirus.

I guess it is better to safe than sorry. Wondering how this will other impact trade conventions world-wide.

https://www.highendsociety.de/high-end-44.html
Audio Room: CH Precision I1, Esoteric k01XD, Lab 12 Melto 2, Luxman PD-171A TT, Roon Nucleus, Stenheim Alumine Three, Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables, Siltech 680 interconnects, Shunyata Sigma USB Cable, Audioquest Hurricane PCs, Shunyata Everest,CORE Design racks, Stein Harmonizers, HRS damping plates, Stillpoints and all that other silly stuff.

Office: Luxman L-595A SE, Diapason Neos speakers, HiFi Rose RS150B, Nordost Frey 2 Interconnects, Tellurium Q Silver speaker cables,
Old 02-28-2020, 01:36 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreginNH1 View Post
Cancelled due to fears of Coronavirus.

I guess it is better to safe than sorry. Wondering how this will other impact trade conventions world-wide.

https://www.highendsociety.de/high-end-44.html
Its going to impact other trade shows and conventions big-time. We haven't seen anything yet.

The Coronavirus has an R0 (R-nought) of 4, influenza is ~1.3

Wouldn't be surprised if the Olympics are cancelled.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 02-28-2020 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-28-2020, 02:20 PM

Geneva Motor Show is cancelled too
Old 02-28-2020, 02:38 PM

My opinion about Covid19 is that most folks are going to contract this virus. It will be very much like the Hong Kong flu epidemic in the early 1970's. Most people survived this virulent flu epidemic and most will survive this recent virus. I suppose that trying to slow down the spread is beneficial but most (40-70 percent) will contract this virus. Hopefully there will be some anti-viral treatment for severe cases.

Charles
Old 02-28-2020, 03:46 PM

A related press release regarding AXPONA is publicly available here: https://www.axpona.com/pressrelease_article.asp?id=1554
Old 02-28-2020, 04:01 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
My opinion about Covid19 is that most folks are going to contract this virus. It will be very much like the Hong Kong flu epidemic in the early 1970's. Most people survived this virulent flu epidemic and most will survive this recent virus. I suppose that trying to slow down the spread is beneficial but most (40-70 percent) will contract this virus. Hopefully there will be some anti-viral treatment for severe cases.

Charles
With an R-Nought of 4, you are very likely correct.

As for anti-viral treatment, the best things you can do is to wash your hands for 20 seconds several times/day if you go out to public places. Wear PVC gloves when handling or touching commonly touched public surfaces, e.g. gas pumps, door handles, window closures, arm rests, etc. Avoid touching your face, nose and eyes. Many people contract the cold, flu, RSV, and other respiratory viruses through contact with the eye & eyelid membranes. You can also take Sambucol, which is well-characterized for its anti-viral properties, especially for respiratory viruses. It was developed by an Israeli medical virologist. I kept my FIV+ cat alive for >5 years after he seroconverted by giving him Sambucol; the average life of a cat after seroconverting to FIV+ is...1 year.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 02-28-2020 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:42 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
A related press release regarding AXPONA is publicly available here: https://www.axpona.com/pressrelease_article.asp?id=1554
Personally, I think they are making a mistake; the rate of spread of the virus will likely be "peaking" in North America right around this time in April. O'Hare will be a big risk area.

Vacaville and San Mateo County in CA have moved to a "community-spread" status as of yesterday and today, respectively.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
With an R-Nought of 4, you are very likely correct.

As for anti-viral treatment, the best things you can do is to wash your hands for 20 seconds several times/day if you go out to public places. Wear PVC gloves when handling or touching commonly touched public surfaces, e.g. gas pumps, door handles, window closures, arm rests, etc. Avoid touching your face, nose and eyes. Many people contract the cold, flu, RSV, and other respiratory viruses through contact with the eye & eyelid membranes. You can also take Sambucol, which is well-characterized for its anti-viral properties, especially for respiratory viruses. It was developed by an Israeli medical virologist. I kept my FIV+ cat alive for >5 years after he seroconverted by giving him Sambucol; the average life of a cat after seroconverting to FIV+ is...1 year.
Certainly good advice but as far as fomites are concerned I would recommend hand sanitizer. There is no evidence it can get through skin. It's a cold virus and spreads like the common cold. Use a knuckle to touch buttons. Keep plenty of hand sanitizer with you.

In other words what you do for the flu. It's amazing to me that while most folks don't even get their flu or shingles vaccines or other vaccines, now everyone is super concerned with Covid19. Why? Because it's the new virus in town. Take reasonable precautions but folks, you are probably going to catch this virus and the good news is, you will survive it and have some immunity afterwards.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:06 PM
Go Dawgs

One thing that has a direct bearing on audio per se is that the nature of an audio trade show means that 10-20 people are gonna be crammed inside a small hotel room. That’s the rub when it comes to transmission. Really the best way (at this point) to look at this is that imagine if there was no flu vaccine. More than 16,000 people have died in the US so far from influenza this flu season....you have to figure that total would be at least double or triple here if there wasn’t a vaccine.

If you take away the deaths that occurred right in the epicenter near Wuhan, I believe I read the mortality rate is near 0.5 %. These are likely preliminary figures, but that’s very very low and likely to be the case in developed countries with proper healthcare infrastructure. Sub-Saharan Africa and places like that I imagine could be much much worse.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 02-28-2020, 07:53 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Certainly good advice but as far as fomites are concerned I would recommend hand sanitizer. There is no evidence it can get through skin. It's a cold virus and spreads like the common cold. Use a knuckle to touch buttons. Keep plenty of hand sanitizer with you.

In other words what you do for the flu. It's amazing to me that while most folks don't even get their flu or shingles vaccines or other vaccines, now everyone is super concerned with Covid19. Why? Because it's the new virus in town. Take reasonable precautions but folks, you are probably going to catch this virus and the good news is, you will survive it and have some immunity afterwards.
This is NOT a cold virus; this virus is the very same class of organism that causes foot-and-mouth disease in cattle.

Its not about getting through skin, its all about getting it on your hands and fingers and touching your mouth, nose or eyes. This is how most respiratory viruses are tranmitted, along with coughing/sneezing.

Just so you know, this virus is considerably more lethal than the 1918 Influenza virus; the lethality index for the 1918 Influenza was ~1.8; the lethality index for this virus is 2.5-3, if not greater. This virus is NOT to be treated lightly. People should be super-concerned about COVID-19 and take appropriate measures.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 02-28-2020 at 07:57 PM.