Default "Quite Simply in a Class by Itself!" - ENJOY THE MUSIC.com

Hi All - Preview for you. Full Review will go on-line Jan 1, 2010

February / March 2010

World Premiere
Bryston 9B SST2 C-Series Monoblock Power Amplifiers
Quite simply in a class by itself.
Review By Brett Rudolph

The End Or The Beginning....

It is not often that it seems that the end of a review comes far too quickly, but alas this was one of those cases. One of the conditions of the review was that it be done as quickly as possible because there were not many review units available, so I did my best. However, it was not without a sense of remorse that the amplifier made it way to the shipping depot.

The Bryston 9B SST2 class C is quite simply in a class by itself. Its ability to yield precise, uncompromised music is something that is rarely ever seen and almost never in an amplifier in its price level. Of course the Bryston 9B is in no way inexpensive, for the 5 channel configuration costs $6695. Yet, while that might not seem a bargain, take it from someone who knows, it is. In fact, it might even be considered a bargain at an ever higher price point.

In short, if you are in the market for an amplifier, especially a multi-channel amplifier, you owe it to yourself to give the Bryston 9B SST2 class C a chance. It is likely to give you a performance you are not likely to forget.

Personally this is one of the only amplifiers I have ever dreaded sending away and wished it could have stayed longer
Old 12-29-2009, 05:55 PM
Merry Christmas to all

James.......Bryston seems to be turning out a steady stream of winning products, not just amps, but DAC's, CD players, too. Your guys north of the border are on a roll. Congratulations.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 12-29-2009, 06:35 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
James.......Bryston seems to be turning out a steady stream of winning products, not just amps, but DAC's, CD players, too. Your guys north of the border are on a roll. Congratulations.
It's the cold - we stay indoors a lot.

james
Old 12-31-2009, 12:38 PM

Hi Folks,

Complete review:

Superior Audio Ultra High End Audiophile Equipment Review Article Magazine

james
Old 12-31-2009, 12:59 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston View Post
It's the cold - we stay indoors a lot.

james
James.......That was my discovery when I lived in Oregon for seven years. It is raining and cold a large portion of the time in Portland, so folks stay indoors, and consequently they make their homes into very comfortable entertaining spaces, usually with a great sound system, more often than not a high-end sound system. When I moved to Florida, where it is sunny and warm the largest part of the time, people here are all about outdoor living and activities. Consequently, there are fewer people with an interest in high-end audio, and more people interested in the beaches, boating, biking, outdoor cooking, motorcycles, and enjoying the sunshine. If it weren't for enjoying the company of audiophile friends online, I would have only three audiophile friends, all living over 100 miles from me. In Portland, almost everyone I knew was an audiophile to one degree or another. It is all about priorities, and how cold and wet it is outside.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 12-31-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
James.......That was my discovery when I lived in Oregon for seven years. It is raining and cold a large portion of the time in Portland, so folks stay indoors, and consequently they make their homes into very comfortable entertaining spaces, usually with a great sound system, more often than not a high-end sound system. When I moved to Florida, where it is sunny and warm the largest part of the time, people here are all about outdoor living and activities. Consequently, there are fewer people with an interest in high-end audio, and more people interested in the beaches, boating, biking, outdoor cooking, motorcycles, and enjoying the sunshine. If it weren't for enjoying the company of audiophile friends online, I would have only three audiophile friends, all living over 100 miles from me. In Portland, almost everyone I knew was an audiophile to one degree or another. It is all about priorities, and how cold and wet it is outside.

Interesting observation Dan,

I have found the same thing here in Southern California. I know not ONE other person into HI-FI... now if I wanted to find someone to surf, hike, bike, rollerblade with ... they are everywhere.

I tend to notice from sig lines that there are more people from the mid west into audio and music than anywhere else...

OK back OT...
Old 12-31-2009, 01:17 PM

Gee's and I thought was just being a smart ass

james
Old 12-31-2009, 02:50 PM
Merry Christmas to all

It sounds like Brett Rudolph would liked to have kept the Bryston 9B SST 2 C-Series amplifier for himself. Very nice review.